My First Bike Video - Route 555 Ohio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

My First Bike Video - Route 555 Ohio

Thanks to some suggestions by people on this forum, I made as point of riding Ohio Route 555 in southeastern Ohio on my way out west earlier in June. The road did not disappoint. 60+ miles of sublime and virtually continuous twisties through beautiful countryside. No traffic.

I also got a chance to try out my new GoPro HD camera, and took lots of raw footage on the trip. This is my first attempt to create a coherent short video using the IMovie program on my Mac.

Just under four minutes following another rider I came across:

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: My First Bike Video - Route 555 Ohio

Nice Video. My only comment would be to remove the "Natural" wind & bike sounds IF you are going to add music. Use Music or just the "Natural" sound not both. JM2C

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Homer Simpsonesque mega DROOOOOOL!

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 5:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Great video. How did you mount the camera?

About three years ago I suggested a club ride on a 4th of July weekend starting in Zanesville ending at the Ohio River. Howard from the greater Columbus area joined about 8 riders for a great ride to the south.

We had such a good ride and for those who had the time we rode it north rather than taking the slab home!

The Triple Nickle of Ohio

More info here!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Looks good. I like the reflection on the bike. Got to love those GoPro cameras.

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
... About three years ago I suggested a club ride on a 4th of July weekend starting in Zanesville, ending at the Ohio River. Howard from the greater Columbus area joined about 8 riders for a great ride to the south.

We had such a good ride and for those who had the time we rode it north rather than taking the slab home! ...
Why, yes I did tag along for that ride. I couldn't keep up with you Clevelanders but we all had fun. It's quite the road, and it's just a few minutes from my house! There are many such roads in southeast Ohio, although I don't think any have as many curves/mile and as many TIGHT curves as 555.

Nice video! I like the reflection, too - gives the whole thing a cool quality.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 7:49 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Nice Video. My only comment would be to remove the "Natural" wind & bike sounds IF you are going to add music. Use Music or just the "Natural" sound not both. JM2C
+1 the wind noise is always distracting...
Great music choice though! Usually best to only to leave the "natural" sounds in if its high speed revving in tight corners and pegs scrapes... adds to the sense of speed.. you can always fade between the cruisy bits with music and the tank-slapping corners with engine revs.
The roads look much like some of our south coast NSW roads.. only much better surface! Beautiful day for it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

Question: How do you suppress the "natural sounds?" as suggested by a few of you.

Answer to Mounting question:

I mounted the camera on a relatively flat surface of the "silver Plastic" near the cylinder head. Later on the ride I tried mounting on the lower windshield, on the front of the side mirror, on the side of the pannier, and on the trunk facing backwards to film my buddies.

All of these mounting locations work well and give a varied perspective to the video.

I worried at first about the reliability of the suction cup mount but it seems to be rock solid.

I am thinking of buying a second "waterproof case" and drilling out plastic covering the USB port. then I can power the unit off the engine and not sweat battery life.

I am just learning how to use IMovie but already dome film students are telling me to move up to FinalCut Pro for editing software - we will see, one step at a time.

I got some spectacular raw footage riding the Chief Joseph Trail and Beartooth later in the trip, but need a concept before I edit. I would like to do voiceovers to narrate what is happening and and where, maybe throw in a map, etc.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 6:39 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
Thanks for the feedback.
Question: How do you suppress the "natural sounds?" as suggested by a few of you.
Rob, in an editing program you'll find the image and audio tracks are separated... usually there will be a function (button, slider, command, etc) that either allows you to either mute or vary the audio levels. You can kill off the live audio by muting it, then add a separate audio track (music/voiceover) to fit your action at full volume. You can switch between the 2 (or more) tracks, or have them overlaying each other if you want to maintain some of the original audio at any point.
In iMovie it looks like you select the 2nd last centre button (speaker icon) and use that to alter the volume in the pop-up window. I don't know if iMovie allows you to add additional tracks, it probably does somehow by looking at the controls in that pop-up panel.

If you're on a Macbook, iMovie is a good start since its free, but I never got the hang of it. FCPro 7 is a reasonably expensive "Pro" app but very good, used extensively at my work. Apple, in their wisdom, got rid of it a year ago and created Final Cut X (10) @ $300.00, a souped up version of iMovie.... the pro's whined loudly and Apple are relicensing FCP7 for existing users, since X just wasn't mature enough. I think you could only get X nowadays.

Another freebie (for windows) is Lightworks which can be upgraded to "pro" very cheaply... haven't looked at it much but its a bit of a weird one to me.

I bought into Sony Vegas a few years back (Windows) not too pricey and does all I'll ever need for home editing.. but there's also a "Pro" version of that too.
And then there's Avid (Mac/Linux)... no need to go there.. purely pro.
I think Adobe Premiere is coming along too...haven't used it, part of the Adobe creative suite.... not cheap.

With editing you get what you pay for... but prices have dropped enormously so if you favour Mac, then probably jump straight to FCX if you really want to play.
But there's lots a talented person can do with iMovie... here's one of my colleagues (an animation director) Youtube channel of ride movies, all this on iMovie on a laptop.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 10 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Gold Supporter

The "Triple-Nickel"!! That is one nice stretch of road. Just have to watch out for the gravel in the corners where the unpaved roads/driveways tie in.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in