Ride Report Mt Rushmore Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 4th, 2012, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Ride Report Mt Rushmore Trip

Prior to my 2 up trip to Mt Rushmore members on the fourm gave great input. The trip is complete and I wanted to share some facts. Round trip 3909 miles, 11 States touched; NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, SD, WY & IA. Best day 540 miles, best leg 220 miles. Fuel $351.37, Tolls $38.45 and lodging $873.44.

Things that went right.
09 K1200 LT serviced by MAX BMW of CT ran flawless
Aerostitch Vegan summer gloves worked great on the warm days still like my Held gloves
Aerostitch rubber boot covers, west bound was warm and dry, east bound was cold and wet.
Russell Day Long Saddle, worked great
Nolan N104 helmets for both of us worked well. Communications gear failed
LD comfort riding shorts worked well.
I attached a "Chase Harper" barrel bag to my passengers right side case grab handle worked well as a place to keep stuff handy.

Things that went wrong.
Nolan B4 communications kit big failure, we lost intercom halfway through ride. When I received the set up, it had an added instruction sheet that spoke of an inherent problem where a flat wire comes loose, it did and I call "Joe" in tech support and he walked me through fixing it. Test ride worked fine and half the trip worked fine. One morning ready to set off it failed big time back on the phone from the motel room with the helmet taken apart did nothing. I am waiting for a replacement and I hope they issue a recall and repair the weak point. If you have a B4 communitactions call Joe 630 671 9710. I will give Nolan a chance to make this right but what a disappointment to spend hours on a sight seeing trip with no intercom.

An observation or two
My wife did a great job with navigation and co-driver. Maps, extra head checks with lane changes, water, food and being a good sport in the cold and wet.
I noticed that people dont look out the windows of their cars, kids and adults have their face up against electronic devices. It used to be on a long trip as you passed other cars especially on a motorcycle you would get everything from stares to smiles with a thumbs up.
Motel room need more power outlets, recharging 2 helmets, 2 cell phone and loading a GPS can be a little bit of a task with 2 outlets

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jun 4th, 2012, 10:30 am

Re: Ride Report Mt Rushmore Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
Motel room need more power outlets, recharging 2 helmets, 2 cell phone and loading a GPS can be a little bit of a task with 2 outlets
My mini surge protector/power strip solved this issue. Well, at least until I left it behind at a hotel!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in