Favorite Roads - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cochinosucio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Argyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 494
Favorite Roads

What is your favorite roads/rides in the US? Why?

(Not Dragon's Tail either)

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman


Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels




Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
Cochinosucio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:00 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cochinosucio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Argyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 494
Re: Favorite Roads

Back roads from Ft. Worth Texas to Fredricksburg TX...67 to 281.
Travel thru Glen Rose, Hico, Lampasas, Luckenbach, into Fredericksburg.
Beautiful Texas back roads, lots of wide open spots, treed areas, excellent local foods, cool historical stops along the way...

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman


Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels




Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
Cochinosucio is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Senior Member
 
blueknightga6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acworth, GA, USA
Posts: 1,176
Re: Favorite Roads

I like US 129 (Blood Mountain) in Georgia from Cleveland (Turner's Corner) to Blairsville going either direction. It's a well maintained road that climbs and descends. It has good visibility in curves with big sweeping curves that you can really lean into.

I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for obvious reasons, it's a road meant to enjoy and take your time on.

I like A1A from south of St. Augustine to Ormond Beach where you're riding right along the beach.

I like the Cherohala Skyway for the curves and views.

Wolf Pen Gap RD (GA HWY 180) between US 129 and Georgia HWY 60 but it's been getting dangerous the past few years with bikes passing in curves and REALLY pushing the limits of safety and saneness.

Georgia HWY 2 & 52 across Fort Mountain between Ellijay and Chatworth. The road climbs and descends with nice curves and switchbacks.


Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueknightga6 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Senior Member
 
rowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: An hour southwest of Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 476
Re: Favorite Roads

So far, most of the roads around the Tail of the dragon, and US route 219 in Virginia. All awesome to ride and very picturesque!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
rowie is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Re: Favorite Roads

Mulholland Dr, Topanga Cyn, Kanaan Dume Rd, PCH in SoCal for twisties and breathtaking views.

Talimena Scenic Highway in AR for vistas and twisties.

County roads north and west of Denton towards Illinois Bend, Spanish Fort, and other towns along the way, over the Indian Bridge into OK, and ending up at McGehee Catfish (formerly T40) just outside marietta for more catfish than you can eat before heading back.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 5:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Favorite Roads

The Banks Lowman road just north of Boise is one of my favorite roads

CLICK HERE

Also just rode this one a few weeks ago



Tx 17 Balmorhea to Ft. Davis

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 8:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Travman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Posts: 418
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I like US 129 (Blood Mountain) in Georgia from Cleveland (Turner's Corner) to Blairsville going either direction. It's a well maintained road that climbs and descends. It has good visibility in curves with big sweeping curves that you can really lean into.

I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for obvious reasons, it's a road meant to enjoy and take your time on.

I like A1A from south of St. Augustine to Ormond Beach where you're riding right along the beach.

I like the Cherohala Skyway for the curves and views.

Wolf Pen Gap RD (GA HWY 180) between US 129 and Georgia HWY 60 but it's been getting dangerous the past few years with bikes passing in curves and REALLY pushing the limits of safety and saneness.

Georgia HWY 2 & 52 across Fort Mountain between Ellijay and Chatworth. The road climbs and descends with nice curves and switchbacks.

Ditto

I might also add Hwy 28 from Warwoman in GA all the up to Deals Gap.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
Travman is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Senior Member
 
dthogey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kalkaska, MI, USA
Posts: 1,149
Re: Favorite Roads

I stayed in Blairsville GA last fall and couldn't get enough of the Blood mountain run on 129!! I rode it several times. It really was fun. My favorite road so far. There wasn't too much traffic, the road is in good shape, and the corners are awesome!!

I really enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherahola skyway, these roads are in good shape, lots of curves and beautiful views!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dthogey is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:02 am
Senior Member
 
blueknightga6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acworth, GA, USA
Posts: 1,176
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
I stayed in Blairsville GA last fall and couldn't get enough of the Blood mountain run on 129!! I rode it several times. It really was fun. My favorite road so far. There wasn't too much traffic, the road is in good shape, and the corners are awesome!!

I really enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherahola skyway, these roads are in good shape, lots of curves and beautiful views!!
Do you mean like this on Blood Mountain?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	april 7 2012.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	34862  

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueknightga6 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: Favorite Roads

This one is a must Hwy 60.
Get on just around Charleston WVA and go crazy to Lewisburg and White Sulphur Springs. Be warned 2 lane no shoulder and a couple places where one lane traffic takes precedence. There are rivers, a dam a mini waterfall and large boulders of land in the river. Did I mention a coal yard with conveyors and troughs like in the dirty harry movie. Still keep your eyes on the road.
ride safe
billsmith is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Billings, MT, USA
Posts: 183
Re: Favorite Roads

Morning run up the Beartooth Highway, lunch in Cooke City, MT.
Return via the Chief Joseph Highway, a two fer special that can't be beat. The Beartooth, called "the most beautiful highway in the country" by Charles Kuralt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cook highway 006.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	34947  
beartooth is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth
Morning run up the Beartooth Highway, lunch in Cooke City, MT.
Return via the Chief Joseph Highway, a two fer special that can't be beat. The Beartooth, called "the most beautiful highway in the country" by Charles Kuralt.
You got to be kidding.
Where is the road or perhaps were is you bike in the picture. Snow tires maybe beautiful country for skiing.
ride safe
billsmith is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Billings, MT, USA
Posts: 183
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
You got to be kidding.
Where is the road or perhaps were is you bike in the picture. Snow tires maybe beautiful country for skiing.
ride safe
Save the histerica, the joke's on you. Pictures taken June 11, about a week after opening day last year.

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cook highway 031.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	34954  
beartooth is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 2:33 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth
Save the histerica, the joke's on you. Pictures taken June 11, about a week after opening day last year.

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Bruce
Not too familiar with that part of the country.
So when do you ride pretty close to the 4th of July. Snow on the ground in June amazing. And I thought Chicago was cold. I checked out that link and it really spells it out. Looks good. Great country for a bear though. How long is the pass usually open and best time for the 70-80 degree crowd.
ride safe
billsmith is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 7:09 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Billings, MT, USA
Posts: 183
Re: Favorite Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Not too familiar with that part of the country.
So when do you ride pretty close to the 4th of July. Snow on the ground in June amazing. And I thought Chicago was cold. I checked out that link and it really spells it out. Looks good. Great country for a bear though. How long is the pass usually open and best time for the 70-80 degree crowd.
ride safe
Bill,

Opening day is usually Memorial Day depending on Spring snows, closing maybe in October. As for 70-80 that is rare with the summit at 11,000+ feet. I have seen riders in light weight summer gear but they don't tarry at the top too long. June, July, August, and early September work well with 40-50's at the summit and 80-90's in the low lands. The Chief Joseph into Wyoming is open all year to the intersection with the Beartooth. It's a popular snowmobile spot in the winter.

Bears seem to be more prevalent in Yellowstone Park at a lower elevation with more food. I was in Chicago visiting my daughter before the BMW Rally in West Bend, WI; nearly heat stroked in full gear at 95 degrees in the stop and go traffic. You do have more challenging driving there. Plan to come this way when it warms up.

Bruce
beartooth is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Hills Scenery and Roads captain76 Curve Cowboy Reunion 2 Mar 14th, 2009 8:35 am
Support your favorite local dealer during the recession officer023 Bike Talk 21 Feb 24th, 2009 9:45 pm
Cool roads GA/TN/NC/SC alanforn K1200LT 6 Sep 12th, 2007 8:26 pm
Florida roads DaddyDukes South East 7 Nov 5th, 2006 4:53 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome