Inagural 1up completed... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2012, 2:48 am Thread Starter

Inagural 1up completed...

Do you remember your 1st 1up experience? I do because it just happened!

In all seriousness, riding solo is one thing - someone else placing their life in your hands is obviously on a whole different level.

I spent a little over 2 1/2 years learning how to ride on the Honda Rebel I bought. I got my endorsement and the fundamentals down. I then bought my RT, and spent a month getting used to it myself - the weight, the balance, the additional power (I bought a low suspension model because I am somewhat vertically challenged.)

On Sunday, March 25th my wife joined me for the very first time on the RT. It was a little overcast and cool, and it was a short 20 minute "jaunt" through some back country roads.

Needless to say, I was nervous - but confident. Confident I had done the right thing in waiting until "middle-age" to learn how to ride. Confident I had done the right thing in buying a "starter" bike and going through the MSF to get my endorsement. Confident that even when I bought my Rebel, I kept my "eyes on the prize" (an RT!) and our long term goal to spend more time together and do some touring.

I know she was nervous as well, and righfully so. But she knew the steps I had taken to get us to that point, and knew I would never let her ride unless I felt like I was ready.

Afterwards, we had a great discussion outside beside the bike. How safe she felt, how the seating position felt, how was the wind, how was my balance, how well I could see with the RT mirrors, etc.

All in all, it was a great "ice-breaker" for both of us. Maybe not a great "ride tale", but just a reminder to us all that everytime we go through our pre-ride checklist - "Taking someone else's life in our hands" should be one of those items...

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2012, 8:18 am

Re: Inagural 1up completed...

There is one thing that is very important for the passenger, and that is to NEVER lean opposite of the bike lean in turns. That can cause serious problems.

I told my wife to always look over my shoulder on the side we were turning to, turning left, look over my left shoulder, right, over my right shoulder. That works very well to keep you from having a big surprise when the bike just does not want to turn, and you see the passenger is leaning the wrong way trying to stay upright!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2012, 8:22 pm

David is so right getting the passenger to look the same way you are is probably the most important lesson to learn.

Glad you had a great first ride.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2012, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Just read those posts to the Mrs!

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

post #5 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2012, 7:35 am

Most of my riding is 2 up with my wife. From day one she was the best pillion rider I could imagine. I feel like I'm alone on the bike. Maybe it's trust, maybe fear. I don't know which, but it works.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in