Then and Now Images - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Then and Now Images

FWIW, something different. A ride report over many years. Then and now. Standing where the photographer stood many years ago. I didn't always get it right... rushed pics, different lens, and other excuses, but hey, there was always a bike pausing nearby or idling underneath! They do, or can, cause moments of reflection.

The mining community of Apex in the late 1800's, having a 4th of July parade...

Apex today, a semi-ghost town about five miles NW of Central City...

Bonanza, as in "It's a bonanza boys!" flared when a rich gold vein was discovered nearby. President Ulysses S. Grant visited upon reports Bonanza could be the next Leadville...

The gold was mined and fires swept through the close proximity structures (A common fate of many frontier towns... wood heat, wood structures, no 911)...

Tracks were laid over the Boreas Pass summit to haul ores from Leadville to Denver...

The tracks were pulled up in the 1930's, and in the 1950's a road was placed on the old rail bed. Riding friend Rick cheesily agreed to place himself where the train was...

The Cathedral Spires along the North Fork of the South Platte...

Two rails then, two wheels today...

The pastoral Dedisse Ranch above Evergreen...

That pastoral Bear Creek above would turn demonic when its raging waters would crash through towns below after heavy rains. The dam creating Evergreen Lake had me off to the side for the "now" pic...

The Bradford Junction community in the late 1800's would gather at this ranch for all things social... dances, celebrations, etc. Perhaps this was a July 4th gathering. Bring your best attire was often the unstated rule...

Today, busy U.S. 285 passes by the same place near the town of Conifer. Had the elevated highway not been present, could have relocated for a better comparison...

Gold Hill is the location of one of Colorado's earliest gold strikes. An image from around 1890...

In a way, not a lot has changed. Well, there are more trees... less need to cut down the nearby woods for structures and heat. Colorado's oldest continuously operating school is here. The massive Four Mile wildfire of September 2010 licked the edges of the town off to the left, but a valiant firefighting effort spared the historical buildings. If you have a BBQ sandwich at the general store, a pot bellied stove is a main source of the heat and the bathroom is about the size of your coat closet...

A thrilling road just for owners of new fangled cars was built above Golden around 1920...

Today the Lookout Mountain road thrills for owners of two wheeled transportation devices. The sun kindly obliged and a rider was caught just in time on the far left...

Marshall Pass about 70 years ago...

And today...

Narrow gauge trains/rails were used 100 years ago because, well, they were narrow and could squeeze between canyon walls and rivers. Denver passengers often took weekend trips into the mountains on these trains. Not far from Buffalo Creek...

The aptly named Peterhead Rock today. Could have climbed higher for a more accurate "now" image, but I risked life and limb just getting this high!

An 1890's hacked out road just south of Ouray...

Today's famed Million Dollar Highway...

Cripple Creek and Victor pumped out so much gold, the amount was greater than the California and Alaska gold rushes combined. Back then Victor had a population of 5,000...

Today about 400 call Victor home. Most downtown structures are empty...
MR__Granville likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Re: Then and Now Images

That was one tremendous work of art!

I am totally impressed.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #3 of 85 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wow! Great job of lining up the pictures with the old ones!

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT

post #4 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 6:32 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Very cool thanks for taking the time to first set up all the shots & also to take the time to post it here for all to enjoy.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 6:52 am

Very neat!

CO is one of my favorite places to ride, and your pics help show why.

You mentioned it once, but it's interesting how consistently there are a lot more trees today. I would guess that the use of them for fuel is the biggest differentiating factor.
post #6 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 6:56 am

Thumbs up Re: Then and Now Images

Outstanding...it appears to me that feat wasn't just a 5 minute task. Great set of pics. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 9:49 am

Thanks for all the hard work and sharing. The interesting thing is that most of the now pics show the area turned back to the land instead of expansion that I expected. Of course a few show the roads are now paved but for the most part.
post #8 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 10:48 am

Garage

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Just makes me even more anxious for my CO trip this summer! Can't wait...can't wait...

Aside - this would make a good thread topic - before and after pics of your favorite ride.

Where did you dig up the before pics?

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #9 of 85 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Kind thoughts all. Gino... check out Google or Bing, searching on something like "historical photos salida california", or for an area you are interested in. Find an old pic or two holding an interest, print them out, then bring them with you to see if you can stand where the photographer stood a long time ago. Can be quite the hunt for some of them. Fun too.

For me in a way, it is a ride report developed over many years, and will continue to probably unfold as I use the great two wheeled thang to deliver other kinds of memories and adventures. Reflections do happen with me, especially when I see people from the past, as if then was their time on the great stage of life, and now we're up on the stage before our act closes. May we say our lines well and with gusto.

A few more...

In the late 1800's the townsite of Tarryall, on the magical Tarryall Road (County 77 - Park County) sprang to life with nearby gold and silver deposits... but it wasn't a long "sprang". The town also went by the unflattering name of "graball". Guess the merchants, tradesmen, middlemen, etc. charged or took whatever they could from the miners. The nearby county seat was named "Fairplay" because we "play fair" with the miners. The "garden spot" of Tarryall in the 1880's...

A riding friend and I wandered all over the place trying to find the location of the above...

The Hartsel hotel...

I pulled over here unplanned, remembering I had seen a photo of this location, but didn't have the old pic with me. Had to guess. What isn't seen/known, is the temps were 10f when I paused for this single pic, freezing the digits when the gloves off! Came pretty close. I learned the '07 R12GSADV's temp gauge stops displaying at 14f, then springs back to life when temps climb above 14f!...

Back when inmates were sentenced to "hard labor", the nearby residents at the Canon City State Prison constructed this amusement park like road called Skyline Drive.

I found the photo above after taking the photo below. If ever in the Canon City area, ride this thing. The one way road with its blind rises will leave you with your stomach in your throat if you gas it a bit!

Downtown Steamboat Springs 1945...

Now if I could have climbed to the second floor of the store behind me I could have come a bit closer!...

Berthoud Pass almost 100 years ago, 1915...

It is a gorgeous riding pass, in more ways than one...

post #10 of 85 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Great post!! Thanks.

2012 BMW R1200RT
2010 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE
post #11 of 85 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 10:03 pm

This was an incredible post. THANKS for sharing it!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 85 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:29 pm

That's going to be my next big trip. Hopefully this fall. I'll have to keep the LT on the pavement, so I won't see it all.
post #13 of 85 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm

I am heading out again to ride Colorado in June (well Santa Fe, NM up to Montana and around , and these pictures are getting me even more psyched. Thanks.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #14 of 85 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 5:25 pm

Once again, a home run. No, a grand slam! Very cool, very entertaining, very thought-provoking.

I found myself scrolling back and forth between each pair of old vs. new photos, to see how things have changed. It was neat to see how many old buildings survived - not just the big commercial structures, but some individual houses and barns. Here's an example: in Bradford Junction, that barn with two cupolas is either the same structure (well-preserved), or they built one just it like years later. Another of the town photo-pairs has a log home on the right side of the street; it's still there today.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 85 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Great job!

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

post #16 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:38 am Thread Starter

Everyone, Nice sentiments. As we know, the bikes we ride have a way of inimitably delivering special memories.

Another batch...

The well attended Boulder Falls in Boulder Canyon with well attended to men sitting still for the cam...

The Falls were closed to stabilize the rocks and hillside behind me, so I looked left and right and snuck in for a pic with no one present...

Platoro was a flare and fade mining community in deep southern Colorado...

Today, it mostly sees residents in the summer. If you have a DS bike, while not observable in this pic, the South San Juan Wilderness abounds in all directions. Forest Road 250 winds through it all, and it is a truly magical place that will put you in a I-have-no-words-to-say trance...

Russell Gulch is another boom and bust town. During boom times over a thousand lived here...

Today during bust times it is hardly populated with people, but it is populated with old and empty and small miners cabins...

If you hopped off the train in St. Elmo in 1878, this is how you might have been greeted...

If you rode in today...

And after walking through town and looking back in 1880...

And doing the same today...

post #17 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:53 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Very nice work...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #18 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 1:51 am

I really Enjoyed this and may do something in the UK of a similar nature and post it on here
post #19 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:03 am

Simply GREAT !!

Thanks for sharing your work. As a few said, I loved scrolling back and forth to see the changes and also what remained the same.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 1:59 pm

And since I am off to the RA meeting at Copper Mt. this June, I ordered the book from Amazon today. Thanks again. What a tribute to the stability of old black & white prints and to still photography in general

Thanks again for all you work.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #21 of 85 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 8:14 pm

Wonderful job, been on a couple of these roads. Can't wait to get back. In 1995 took the million dollar highway with my wife in the car. She didn't care how I got home but no more mountians. Michigan to Calif and back. Few years later on my LT. What a nice ride.

Dave
07 K1200LT
post #22 of 85 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 7:46 am

What great fun! Thank you so much for sharing. Have you considered putting this together in an album of some sort? I'd put the book on my coffee table right where John Fielder's 100 Year Perspective book used to be. You give him a run for his money and he is a professional (and very commercially successful) photographer. My friend Jim Havey of Havey Productions in Denver has also done some through the years type comparison photography. You might enjoy his website. Keep it up and post some more.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #23 of 85 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
What great fun! Thank you so much for sharing. Have you considered putting this together in an album of some sort? I'd put the book on my coffee table right where John Fielder's 100 Year Perspective book used to be. You give him a run for his money and he is a professional (and very commercially successful) photographer. My friend Jim Havey of Havey Productions in Denver has also done some through the years type comparison photography. You might enjoy his website. Keep it up and post some more.
Hey thanks Moot, and everyone else. Moot... we do have some similar thinking, and I ended up putting a big chunk of these images, and much more, in my Colorado Motorcycle book (see sig). It was a labor of fun. Here's a few more from some recent rides...

The Florissant Grange in 1884, with notably, a couple of two wheeled enthusiasts...

And today...

And keeping with the school theme, the Morrison school in the late 1800's...

I think it is a residence now...

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west put a halt to the unruliness of the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...

post #24 of 85 Old Mar 26th, 2012, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Now that was FUN!!! Thanks!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #25 of 85 Old Mar 30th, 2012, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Paused at the motorcycle destination spot of Deckers today. Great riding in every direction. Gold medal fishing abounds in the Middle Fork of the South Platte here. Saw some rainbow whoppers snacking on natural flies as I strolled along the river finding where the photographer stood long ago. There's a fly shop (Flies & Lies) here. The river and dirt roads of 100 years ago have been rerouted. Most of the structures are gone as well. Oh but those hills remain unrerouted...

Facing north, the river and road crossings of Deckers back then...

Climbed the hill overlooking Deckers in the motorcycle gear. Could have scrambled a little higher to the rock the individual is sitting on, but would have been
amidst a dense stand of trees...

It actually was quite the idyllic place back then. Good fishin', good game in the forests, etc...

And you know, the fishin' and the huntin' remain good, as does the ridin'. A guard rail and a seriously big tree nearby prevented me from a slightly better
perspective...

And one could even refresh in a lithia bath back then...

Today...

The old Deckers post office and store was to the north of today's structures. Can see it in the first old image above, across from the large dark building...

Just an empty and small grassy field, with a hillside more populated with trees (very typical nowadays)...

post #26 of 85 Old Mar 30th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Keep 'em coming. While I'm spending my winters in the desert nowadays, I recognize most all of your locations. You inspired me to attempt the same thing on my ride today. Not quite the same somehow and who could tell even if it were true?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	34753   Click image for larger version

Name:	images-1.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	34754  

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #27 of 85 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks Moot, and well, yes, a still interesting perspective in your pics!

Here's a few more from a recent ride of exploration. Went looking the location of a vanished flare and fade town of 2,000 pop. that had been swept up and away by man and nature. West Creek, about 30 miles west of Pikes Peak, sprouted to life in 1896 with wild claims of gold in the area. Fortune seekers swept in, hastily erected a scattered town along the namesake creek, and within six months 2,000 people settled in. By late 1897 it was recognized there wasn't "gold in them thar hills", and the "unsettling" began.

Here's an excellent eight minute video from Douglas County on the history of what is now known as Westcreek (single word)...

West Creek around 1896-1897...

In two months (June 2002) will be the ten year anniversary of the massive Hayman wildfire, which consumed 138,000 acres and numerous scattered homes in the Westcreek area. Today, it is a quiet place, but what a diff versus 1896-1897...

1896-1897...

Today, with a delightful power pole. There was a home behind me preventing a more elevated and precise "where the photographer stood then"...

So the bike brings me about a mile south along West Creek where a few structures of West Creek "suburbia" were placed. The larger structure is the West Creek Holiday Inn. Flash and dim mining communities often had many living in tents, including in the winter. At least it appears there is a wood stove fire in the white tent....

Guess it is fitting to have horses of the day stand in tribute to the past. Could have hopped the fence and joined them for a slightly better "now" perspective...

Last edited by sfarson; Apr 11th, 2012 at 12:13 am.
post #28 of 85 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 1:09 am
cws

Garage

Fascinating viewing Steve... thats a hell of a lot of effort, well done!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #29 of 85 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 7:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, never get tired of these!

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #30 of 85 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:51 am

Garage

I am trying my hand at this.
I am inspired but this is as close as I can get. From my trip last year to TX. And what it looked like in 1888 before the lady was hoisted atop the capitol rotunda.
ride safe

[IMG]1888 view before statue was placed on top TX capitol building[/IMG]

[IMG]2011 visit[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Texas_capitol_goddess_1888.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	34875   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 048.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	34876  
post #31 of 85 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 1:01 am

Garage

Help I am trying to get a "then" picture of the Marsh Rainbow bridge in southeastern corner of KS on historic route 66. All I can get is 2008 view. Research shows it was built in the early 1900. I have been there ( no not in 1900 ) I would like to post my version. Again please help.
ride safe
post #32 of 85 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Hey Bill, excellent! What a structure there in Texas! Nice contrast.

If you don't want to attach images, then you need to place your pics/images at some location on the web. You would then use the image tags [IMG]... [/IMG] to point to the location of that image. For example, my images are at my server, so for that last image of mine above I place this location address between the image tags: http://www.farson.com/thennow/westcreeknow3.jpg

Steve

post #33 of 85 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Hey Bill, excellent! What a structure there in Texas! Nice contrast.

If you don't want to attach images, then you need to place your pics/images at some location on the web. You would then use the image tags [IMG]... [/IMG] to point to the location of that image. For example, my images are at my server, so for that last image of mine above I place this location address between the image tags: http://www.farson.com/thennow/westcreeknow3.jpg

Steve
Steve what you did really inspired me.
I too like photography taking pictures of every where I go. Perhaps you mis-understood me. I don't mind posting pictures what I needed help with is finding the older shots of the same destination. Recently I rode route 66 on the Marsh Rainbow bridge south east KS I have my pictures but nothing really vintage to contrast it with. So that's my problem my research picture only took me back to 2006-08 and that too was in color. Still thanks for all that you have shown us so far hope I get out that way to view same.
ride safe
post #34 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Ahhh, I see Bill. To find older images, a good place to start is at a search engine like Google, Bing, or Ask. Type in something like "topeka kansas historical photos". Many links will be returned, some aren't helpful, but some are, like this one... http://www.kshs.org/p/photographs/14154

So for whatever area of IL, KS, IN, WI, MI etc. you're interested in, see if you can find any old images. Another approach is to find an interesting old image, and let that be the destination you ride to!

Here's the train/mining community of Rollinsville about 100 years ago...

High in the Rockies, the town is about the same size today. The Union Pacific train still comes through, but the mines have long closed.

post #35 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 8:01 am

What an awesome bunch of pictures. I really enjoyed that!! Thank you!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #36 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 9:31 am

Thumbs up Re: Then and Now Images

Steve, you are a freaking ANIMAL! Nice work!!!

- Joe
post #37 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Garage

Quote:
Ahhh, I see Bill. To find older images, a good place to start is at a search engine like Google, Bing, or Ask. Type in something like "topeka kansas historical photos". Many links will be returned, some aren't helpful, but some are, like this one... http://www.kshs.org/p/photographs/14154

So for whatever area of IL, KS, IN, WI, MI etc. you're interested in, see if you can find any old images. Another approach is to find an interesting old image, and let that be the destination you ride to!

Here's the train/mining community of Rollinsville about 100 years ago...

High in the Rockies, the town is about the same size today. The Union Pacific train still comes through, but the mines have long closed.
That solves my problem.
You are spot on and now we are on the same page. In my earlier years I did most of my travels by car and have always wanted to revisit on the bike. Also I took pictures back then but prefer to take new ones from a rider perspective. I must say you devoted time and search to find so many where you could get an exact shot. I wish to do the same. Thanks again for sharing all those incredible memories.
ride safe
post #38 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Hey Bill, Check out the historical Marsh Rainbow Bridge images at this link... http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?...allery&sg=true

post #39 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Garage

Quote:
Hey Bill, Check out the historical Marsh Rainbow Bridge images at this link... http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?...allery&sg=true
Thanks a million.
I really did not expect this. Very much appreciated next time I will have to dig deeper. As a result here is what I got. Let me say it has drastically changed from 1928. Well see for yourself.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	067941pr.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	34921   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 037.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	34922   Click image for larger version

Name:	067936pr.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	34923   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 036.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	34924   Click image for larger version

Name:	067943pr.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	34925  

Name:	HR 66 ride 030.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	34926   Click image for larger version

Name:	067929pr.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	34927   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 034.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	34928   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 025.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	34929  
post #40 of 85 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Garage

Sorry they seem to come up in the wrong order but you get the picture. color is now and black & white is then. Thanks again.
ride safe
post #41 of 85 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Garage

Here is a redo of my #39 post.
Some of us like to go back and forth to compare the pictures as I did with yours Steve. Also I did some more digging and there seemed to be more than one bridge that was built in that area. Cause I was looking at the railroad tracks in the 1923 picture and from my vantage point all I saw was a stream flowing under the bridge. It seems that Marsh's bride design was very popular in those days. And from the last picture I am adding it seems to bear me out.
ride safe
What the heck skip post #39 if you want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	34934   Click image for larger version

Name:	1A.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	34935   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	34936   Click image for larger version

Name:	2A.JPG
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	34937   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	34938  

Name:	3A.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	34939   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	34940   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	34941   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	34943  
post #42 of 85 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Here is a redo of my #39 post.
Some of us like to go back and forth to compare the pictures as I did with yours Steve. Also I did some more digging and there seemed to be more than one bridge that was built in that area. Cause I was looking at the railroad tracks in the 1923 picture and from my vantage point all I saw was a stream flowing under the bridge. It seems that Marsh's bride design was very popular in those days. And from the last picture I am adding it seems to bear me out.
ride safe
What the heck skip post #39 if you want.
Hi, Bill - do you have current pictures of the bridge in Baxter Springs, KS (on Route 66) AND current pictures of the bridge in Newton, Iowa? In looking over the several pictures, color and black/white, I can see there are two different bridges. Just wondering if you found both of those Marsh Bridges during your trip?
post #43 of 85 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Bill - do you have current pictures of the bridge in Baxter Springs, KS (on Route 66) AND current pictures of the bridge in Newton, Iowa? In looking over the several pictures, color and black/white, I can see there are two different bridges. Just wondering if you found both of those Marsh Bridges during your trip?
Sorry Dick a bit of confusion.
I first joined the thread while viewing those awesome pictures from Steve of CO. Since the Marsh Bridge KS was my only recent historic memory I put my .02 worth. Again Steve was grateful enough to sent me a link of older Marsh Bridges in that neck of the woods. My research only led me to 2006 pictures of that bridge. By you being familiar with that area lets pick up my ride leaving Joplin MO on 7th street same as route 66 west into Galena KS and then I stayed with 66 over to the bridge area and took the pictures but I had to back track to pick up 69 south from Baxter Springs and in the blink of an eye I was into OK and heading south thru Miami toward Tulsa. Again what's left of 66 is a disjointed piece of history. I wish they would revive it. So to answer your question no I have not been to IA since I got the LT. Also I ran out of battery so these were the last shots of the evening. I agree there were no railroad tracks in sight of my bridge. In the last shot my bike is facing north to leave the bridge with a right ahead a left will put you back on the bridge.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HR 66 ride 024.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	34949   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 018.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	34950   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 032.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	34951   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 029.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	34952   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 039.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	34953  

post #44 of 85 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Sorry Dick a bit of confusion.
I first joined the thread while viewing those awesome pictures from Steve of CO. Since the Marsh Bridge KS was my only recent historic memory I put my .02 worth. Again Steve was grateful enough to sent me a link of older Marsh Bridges in that neck of the woods. My research only led me to 2006 pictures of that bridge. By you being familiar with that area lets pick up my ride leaving Joplin MO on 7th street same as route 66 west into Galena KS and then I stayed with 66 over to the bridge area and took the pictures but I had to back track to pick up 69 south from Baxter Springs and in the blink of an eye I was into OK and heading south thru Miami toward Tulsa. Again what's left of 66 is a disjointed piece of history. I wish they would revive it. So to answer your question no I have not been to IA since I got the LT. Also I ran out of battery so these were the last shots of the evening. I agree there were no railroad tracks in sight of my bridge. In the last shot my bike is facing north to leave the bridge with a right ahead a left will put you back on the bridge.
ride safe
I gotcha, Bill. I thought you had it right. On your way outta Baxter to hit OK, you passed within 2 blocks of the house where I grew up. Lotsa history around those parts, Bill. Glad you got to travel through the area and see some of it. Best always.
post #45 of 85 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:59 am Thread Starter

From a ride the other day. The Colorado Midland Railroad had a line running from Colorado Springs up to the high alpine meadows of South Park. A popular stop about 100 years ago was Hartsel, where tourists would disembark for fishing in the South Platte, soaking the bones in the hot springs, and picking wildflowers in massive fields of wildflowers. The train's wheels would sing on standard gauge track so heavier loads could be hauled. This was also known as the "Stockmen's Railroad", for among the cars in the train were those dedicated to hauling cattle and hay back to Colorado Springs.

Anyway, a larger photo for reflection. Before there were nurseries, gathering huge bouquets of wildflowers was quite the pastime, and so was dressing up for the occasion...

Autos came on to the stage of life, roads were placed down, and tracks were pulled up. About 70 years ago...

Guess I could have tilted the cam a bit, and brought the bike and background closer. Dang it can be hard framing/standing where someone did long ago. That faint snowcap peak in the distance to the right is Pikes Peak. Just to the right of the bike is the old train grade. The tracks would have been coming towards us...

post #46 of 85 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 2:20 am

Garage

How do you find these??
Another great find. Steve you must know every square inch of property in "them dar hills". You couldn't have been riding bikes way back then CO is a huge state. I definitely have to swing up that way some time. Been through it twice back in the '90s by truck and automobile on my way to Vegas. Keep it up.
ride safe
post #47 of 85 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 6:00 am Thread Starter

Hey thanks Bill. Knowledge of the Rockies did help with the writing of the book (See sig). Been all over the place, and two wheels have been the "transportation device" for a long time.... but not "way back then"!

post #48 of 85 Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:33 am Thread Starter

From a few days ago. 75 years ago the Denver, South Park and Pacific made its last runs. We're on the north side of Kenosha Pass here, just on the other side of South Park. Photos were taken of the final rides...

Two rails were taken up. Two wheels pay homage. We're on the now Hall Valley/Webster Pass Road...

post #49 of 85 Old May 1st, 2012, 9:59 pm

Garage

No trip yet for the new season.
But keep those cards and letters coming
ride safe
post #50 of 85 Old May 17th, 2012, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Here's another batch...

Shawnee, Colorado was a place for tourists to stay a spell. The train noted in the above post would drop off Denver paying passengers at the Shawnee train stop for some relaxin', hikin', fishin', etc. About 100 years ago, looking east from Shawnee, this was the view. The tracks are unseen here, down and to the left alongside the North Fork of the South Platte River. But the wagon road is visible...

The dirt wagon road is today's paved U.S. 285...

Now, 100 years ago from the same location as above, if one turned 90 degrees to the right in the wintertime, and looked up, here is where some of the visitors would stay...

It is one of the oldest remaining structures in Shawnee today...

From a distance, one can see how Shawnee looked back then. Can see the above Grand View Hotel to the left of the access road. The really big lodge to the right burned down in 1929. Many of the lodges along the train route burned down mysteriously in the 1920's and 1930's as train traffic gave way to auto traffic. Travelers by auto could come and go from Denver without staying the night or weekend. The probable reason for these lodges turned to ashes? Insurance money.

Well, I hiked up a hill through a garden of cow pies as far as I could go, but elevation gain was no more with a serious barbed wire fence hoping I would make its day. Turned around for Shawnee today. Perhaps that is the same tree to the left of the plowed "then" field!

To the east of Shawnee the South Platte River canyons contained the tracks of the same train. For the past year or so I've casually ridden the canyons trying to spot the location of this 100 year old image. No luck. Until a few days ago! "Poised Rock" is that round rock at the top of the sloping rock face. See that dot of a tree in front of it?

With a road base now on the old train bed. Some things change, some things do not...

Here's the wagon access road to the canyon 110 years ago...

Today's Foxton Road...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in