Then and Now Images - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 85 Old May 17th, 2012, 2:19 am

Re: Then and Now Images

Now == Wow

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 85 Old May 18th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Thanks very much for sharing - what a labor of love. Keep 'em coming if you can. Have you thought about going into Utah or Wyoming? There are some amazing early 1900s photos of both.

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 85 Old May 20th, 2012, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Brian, I've come across older images of neighboring Rocky Mountain states, and perhaps one of these days...! BTW, used to live in Conroe! Here's another batch...

Central City was at ground zero for the Colorado gold rush. A lode found in a nearby gulch in 1859 had 10,000 people bringing their tents, their wares, their tools, and their hopes for fortunes. Henry Teller, Colorado's first U.S. Senator built a hotel in 1872, and at the time, it was considered the finest hotel west of the Mississippi.

Can see the Teller House in this recent image of Central City. Can also see scattered mines dotting the hills...

In 1936 an artist/painter was hired to freshen the Teller House up a bit. There was some tension and disagreement with the project manager, and the painter was asked to quit or resign. Sneaking in late at night before he departed, he painted the face of a women on the floor of the bar. Supposedly, this woman was of the temperance movement and would have found it quite disagreeable to have her image grace such a place as a bar, not to mention to be underfoot! If ever in Central City, can still see the image...

Anyway, with the above as background, found this old image of the Teller House...

Today...

BTW, Once there was a flood crashing down this same street...

Just on the other side of the Continental Divide the Swedish built this church 100 years ago in the Middle Park, Colorado community of Fraser. About 70 years ago...

A few days ago...

Now how about this. Granby almost 90 years ago...

The Granby/Grand Lake area is the gateway to the western sides of Rocky Mountain National Park. Several quick dashes into the traffic, and this image came closest to what is above...

post #54 of 85 Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

A few more...

The Colorado Midland Railroad had a line running from Colorado Springs to the high meadows of South Park. Along the way was this stop in Divide, on the western sides of Pikes Peak...

In 1905...

Many times I've ridden by blissfully on U.S. 24 and never noticed the historic depot!

About 20 miles from Divide, in the late 1800's the town of Gillett sprung to life a few miles north of the mining communities of Cripple Creek and Victor, Colorado. But rather than minerals, Gillett is mostly famed for moments, an event of August 1895... the only bullfight ever to take place on U.S. soil. The event was highly publicicized. Celebrities from afar traveled for the first-ever event. Bullfighters and bulls were imported for the event from Mexico. A bullfighting ring was constructed. And it ended... with a near riot. Some believe the bulls were tired from the travel. I guess they didn't put up much of fight, and that's what the spectators wanted. Other reports note the spectators were disgusted with the abuse. It wasn't a well reviewed event. The meat was donated locally which appeased some of the locals. Nevertheless, never has there been a bullfight in the U.S. before, and since.

Here's the bullfight ring constructed for the event...

An empty meadow today...

The action in the ring...

Now this actually was quite a sizeable town 120 years ago...

Hardy residents called Gillett at 10,000ft. elevation home. Seemingly every time I pass through on a bike I am chilled. The barbed wire fence here, and behind me prevented a slightly better "now" perspective...

So what has happened to this ghost town? Things were in decay the early 1900's, but the coup de grace came in June 1965 when most of the ghost town structures were swept away after a heavy rain overwhelmed a small earthen dam reservoir that supplied water to the residents long ago. Here's the Catholic Church out in the suburbs of Gillett back in the 1940's...

Following the flood 47 years ago. Didn't want to disregard the "no tresspassing" sign, nor risk sensitive body parts to the barbs!, so from a distance. Some rocks of the church remain...

post #55 of 85 Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 8:47 am

Wow,very nicely done.Thanks for sharing all these images and the history behind them!

Four wheels move the body,two wheels move the soul.

2004 R1200CL Silver - Torquey
post #56 of 85 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:53 am Thread Starter

Montezuma, Colorado is a semi-ghost town about five miles west of the Keystone ski resort. It sprung to life in the 1860's after silver was discovered in the area of nearby Argentine Pass. By 1890 the population was up to 1,000 coinciding with the Colorado Silver Boom. Well, the population of Montezuma also coincided with the Colorado Silver Bust three years later in 1893, and since then the decline of the population and structure kind has continued. Five fires over the years have not helped with "historic preservation", but nevertheless some old buildings remain and can be viewed on a ride to this high 10,200ft. elev. place.

Here's a look east down Montezuma's main street in the late 1800's...

And today with a population around 40-50. Note the similar snow patterns on the peak 120+ years later!

Ride the horse through town and turn around looking west back then...

And today...

I did come across this 1940's image of one of the old hotels still standing...

But it is no longer is standing today...

Oh, at a pullout on the way to Montezuma. Eh, though not a long ride, not a bad journey to get there...

post #57 of 85 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:52 am

Garage

Thanks again for the memories.
When I'm up this late I get a kick perusing the old and new back and forth. Saw these on my way to Cleveland OH.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doubletree 006.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	35613   Click image for larger version

Name:	doubletree 004.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	35614   Click image for larger version

Name:	doubletree 003.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	35615  
post #58 of 85 Old Jun 25th, 2012, 12:22 am Thread Starter

Bill, Sweet! Just noted your post! Sorry about not seeing this. I do enjoy those images of the maintained, if not restored past.

FWIW, a few more from this past week.

Paused at Barker Reservoir above Boulder, Colorado. It was built just over 100 years ago by the city of Boulder as a storage and flood control project. Good thing reservoirs such as these were constructed throughout Colorado the past 50-100 years, for during lean snow and dry times (note the fires throughout Colorado at the moment), they capture and store water from bountiful moisture years, like just one year ago when floods were the problem!

Looking east as construction continued and water started to fill the meadows... and cattle saw shrinking pasture land...

The dam has been rebuilt since then...

Looking west before there was a Barker Reservoir...

Ehhh, a bit of a change....

OK, the image above shows the historic mining town of Nederland in the distance, with the ski runs of Eldora up higher. Nederland was a consolidating kind of town, providing central services for the productive mines and now ghost towns up higher. Men from the Netherlands named it Nederland for the town was located on a somewhat small, but nevertheless flat piece of land reminding them of their European home. And how about this, a color "then" image from ~60 years ago...

I had lunchtime chow down the street, and after some nice consumption strolled up the hill, turned around, strolled some more, framed things...

post #59 of 85 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 6:12 am

Brilliant pics, you almost got this one to the pixel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westcreek.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	35747  

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #60 of 85 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Slammer... Niiiiiice. Thanks for the merge!

post #61 of 85 Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:09 am

Awesome thread!

2011 R1200RT
post #62 of 85 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:44 am

Garage

I keep repeating the same thing.
One day I hope to be seeing these close up and personal. And stories for the grand kids
ride safe
post #63 of 85 Old Jul 17th, 2012, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Hey all, hope you're having a fantastic summer of riding. Here's some more...

A few then/now of Jefferson, a small ranching community in the high meadows of South Park, Colorado. This is from just after the train tracks were pulled up in 1937 and a dirt road placed down. That's the train depot on the left...

And it is still the "historic" train depot on the left, along with a caboose like structure to the right offering summertime fare like BBQ, burgers, etc. The size of the community hasn't changed much over the years, usually hovering around 50...

In the color image above, see the home with the white window trim? Here it is in the late 1800's...

A few decades later, some new surrounding structures, and some new area residents...

And 90 years later, some new aspen. Well not so new, but doing well. Angle of the sun is almost the same...

Looking down this residential street back with the same home on the right...

Maybe I'll return with a chainsaw for a better now perspective ...

Rosita, Colorado was once the Custer County seat, boasting a population of over a thousand in the 1870's, along with hundreds of structures. The discovery of silver nearby brought the people. Soon, larger lodes of silver bearing ores were discovered elsewhere in the vicinity, like in nearby Silver Cliff in the 1880's. Goodbye Rosita as many of the transient residents moved north 7 - 8 miles. I guess back then, commuting that kind of distance was a BIG deal. The county seat was relocated to Silver Cliff and by the 1890's Rosita was in a state of decline...

Ehhh, a bit of a change. This was taken when a fire had claimed some of the structures...

Silver Plume, a flair and fade mining town that was hitched to the fortunes of silver prices, is just off I-70 on the eastern climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel. It's just one exit west of Georgetown.

72 years ago this is how it appeared...

Today, at almost the same time of day and season given the shadows. It has not been prettied up like some other historic towns in Colorado, but I kinda like that it hasn't...

At the very least, if there is hint of weakness or affection for freshly baked bread, then absolutely exit for Silver Plume, ride the dirt 100 yards to and through the setting above, and then stop at the Sopp & Truscott Bakery at the east end. If it isn't open there will be a metal chest at the door with wrapped loaves of soft and freshly baked bread of sundry kinds. The honor system has a small chest inside for your $4 - $5. If you turn around from the images above, here it is...

Georgetown, a community that thrived from the late 1800's silver boom, and continues to fare well today. It is located on I-70 where the eastern climbing grade to Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel increases notably. Interesting how starting ten miles east of Georgetown the fever came ores of gold, but not here, nor Silver Plume on the other side of the interstate. Georgetown is also at the northern base of the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway, and the north side was re-engineered and repaved last year.

Here's the Alps like Guanella Pass Road...

The last switchback before the summit is attained...

But anyway, this is a then/now thread, and here is Georgetown over 100 years ago...

I-70 comes up this Creek Creek drained valley and hugs the slopes on the left, though one can hardly tell from this treed image from the same location on the Guanella Pass Road (which was constructed as a wagon road for the silver mines up above)...

Parades were big events back then, communities large and small often had them for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Three images a photographer captured from the same spot as the parade made a turn...

Today. Thankfully those mountains in the background helped find the location, for the buildings hardly do...

At the rear end of the parade. Dressing up was a common practice for events like a parade, but seemingly it was the thing to do whenever out in public...

Today. More trees and some structural changes...

post #64 of 85 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 12:56 am Thread Starter

OK, a few more...

From last week while passing through the town of Walden in northern Colorado. Walden is in the middle of North Park, a large valley, kinda u-shaped, with the Medicine Bow Range on the east, the Park Range on the west, and the Rabbit Ears Range anchoring the south. Walden with a population around 800 is the county seat of Jackson. Ranching is a key commercial activity. North Park is the home of the Arapaho Wildlife Refuge, and Walden declares itself the moose capital of Colorado.

Well anyway, with that as background, little remains of old Walden. Don't know if it was flames, or the trials of time and weather, but here it is early last century...

And here it is early this century...

And trying the selective merge thing...

So, see that building on the left? It is the only comparison structure I could somewhat easily (if not only) find... physically and in old print. The C.E. Mosman General Merchandise Store...

If you ask me, it was a bit more attractive back then. Eh?

Selective merged. Still have a ways to go. The rotation has to line up too!

If ever making the U.S. 40 transit over Berthoud Pass from the south, you will pass through the small town of Empire. Like most communities in this long Clear Creek drainage that nearby I-70 courses through, Empire can trace its roots to ores found under the slopes of nearby hills. More on Empire's history here.

One of the earlier mountain "then" images I've come across. Empire as a mining camp in 1880...

Now, one would think it would be a cinch finding the above location and direction, but daaang, I passed through, turned around, retraced, with old image in hand, several separate times while riding through Empire to no avail. Well, I was making the assumption the above wagon trail through Empire is today's U.S. 40. One day, I looked south down one of the few side streets...

From exploring the historic townsite of Nighthawk on the banks of the Middle Fork of the South Platte...

About a 100 years ago with a lack of productive nearby mining contributing to the lack of a vibrant town...

Today...

Merged...

Despite the Handyman's Special on the left, Nighthawk didn't convince many to settle there 100 years ago...

Would say the place is still kinda "allure challenged" today...

Merged...

post #65 of 85 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:02 am

You are the best I've ever seen at doing what you do!
I've really enjoyed this thread....thanks

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #66 of 85 Old Aug 12th, 2012, 6:46 pm

I have commented before, but with your recent updates, I must do so again. I've ridden in most of the areas you have documented and even tried to imagine how you do what you do. A wonderful, talented and insightful blend of art and history. Thank you.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #67 of 85 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Raz, Moot, Thanks much. Not that this is what I ride for. Occasionally I just do this exploring thing to add a little zip to the common ride.

While passing through Como in South Park a couple of weeks ago...

Como is a small historic community located at 9,800ft. elevation in the high meadows of South Park, Colorado. While golden ores were the draw at most area mining camps, it was black coal leading to the establishment of Como in 1871. Italian coal miners named the camp after Lake Como, in Italy. In 1879 the Denver, South Park & Pacific railroad build a depot here, along with narrow gauge tracks over nearby Boreas Pass. Well, for a few decades thousands lived here. Today, perhaps around 100 is the pop. Most of the structures are old. The place looks authentic. Here's a then/now tour.

Well, first, a few "now" structures, but no "then", just to give a feel for the place...

Here's the Catholic church in the late 1800's...

I found the above image after taking a pic of the Catholic church today...

Here are some of the miners gathering for a group photo...

Same backdrop but I'm much further away and using a serious zoom. Several fenced properties between me and where the miners stood...

Here's Como about 80 years ago...

Alas, a rancher's fence and gate that I'm leaning against behind me threatened serious prosecution if I snuck across for a better now perspective...

At about the same time, 80 years ago...

Today...

Merged...

Here's the Como school around 100 years ago...

Now it is the Como Civic Center...

Something about seeing youth long ago. Guess overall were the apparel of choice for boys back then...

And where they stood...

The Como General Store long ago...

Until a few years ago it remained open. Maybe someday someone will give it a go again...

Last, In the 1930's the train gave way to autos. The tracks were pulled up and operations shut down. Here's the train roundhouse in the 1950's...

And here's the train roundhouse in 2012. It is on the National Register of Historic Places...

post #68 of 85 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:49 am

Having read William Frassanito's "Gettysburg, a Journey in Time." I've been quite interested in the before and after photographs. You have done a remarkable job putting these together. Kudos! I look forward to a Powerpoint with music on Youtube sometime in the future. Again, thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #69 of 85 Old Aug 29th, 2012, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

West of Colorado Springs, in the shadows of Pikes Peak, was (and is) the resort town of Manitou Springs. In the 1890's a special place to spend the night was the Baker House Hotel...

And today it remains a special place...

Further up the canyon towards Woodland Park was (and is) the resort community of Green Mountain Falls. Back in the 1890's the motorized means to get here was the Colorado Midland Railroad. Can see the train peeking out from the other side of the depot, along with in a way, a contrast with its own past... horses and a wagon to the right...

Autos now deliver residents and visitors with fishing poles to the same small lake...

Looking the other direction, note that spectacular Green Mountain Falls Hotel in the distance. Alas, it met the same fiery fate as many other notable wood structures did back then. FWIW, this is an excellent 1890's image...

post #70 of 85 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 2:40 pm

This thread is fantastic and I hope it carries on.

post #71 of 85 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 1:25 am

What a great thread. I'll check out this thread again in the future.
Well done!
post #72 of 85 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Been a few months.

West of Denver, straddling a busy Interstate 70 is the old mining community of Dumont. Many fly past Dumont every day unaware of its past. Not much remains to tell some of the tales, but the backdrop of hills and mountains do remain as silent witnesses.

From 110 years ago. The old main street...

is today's frontage road alongside Interstate 70 (behind me)...

Turning the other direction, towards the south, the Dumont General Store, with the train depot in the background...

Today, a relocated Clear Creek alongside a sunken interstate, along with more forested fur on hilly slopes... yeah, a bit of a change...

post #73 of 85 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Wandered down a nearby county road loaded with old, decaying, and vanished ranches. One of the oldest images is from 130 years ago of Observatory Rock...

I could hardly figure out where the above was captured, so after going back and forth on the road, and not having access to the fenced off pastures, just paused here...

The Dunbar Ranch ranch late 1800's...

Guess I could have laid down on the ground to get the elevation better, but sometimes one only wants to put limited effort to an endeavor. :lol3

The Olney Ranch in the early 1900's...

Things have been swept up since then...

post #74 of 85 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Been awhile.

West and above Boulder is Nederland. West and above Nederland is Eldora. This semi-ghost town has a historic hotel still standing.

60 years ago...

Today...

Also 60 years ago...

Today...

And 120 years ago, in 1890...

Today...

There is a ghost town, or perhaps more accurately, a ghost structure at Garo, in South Park Colorado. The town site of Garo was named after Adolph Guiraud, a nearby homesteader. I suppose it was easier pronouncing "Garo" versus "Guiraud". The old Garo school was moved to a museum. The other structures succumbed to the high altitude winds and weather.

Chub Newitt founded the general store in Garo, and its decaying remains can be seen easily from Colorado 9 between Fairplay and Hartsel. The store actually thrived for a few decades from the late 1890's to the 1920's. Chub didn't fare as well, or as long. I believe it was some ranchers who came into the store looking for some guns to buy. A shotgun was given to them to examine; it fell to the floor and it happened to have a shell in the chamber. The gun discharged, peppering Chub's rear end with buckshot. According to historical archives, he died of "blood poisoning".

Here's a short 2:25 video ride south on Colorado 9 to the old Garo general store. The fine theme song from the "Black Stallion" movie accompanies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwu5...xLOD6VlMOXHwtQ

Then and now images from between 1890 and 1910...

Closer-ups of local residents stopping by the store...

And other locals who came by when a camera happened to do the same...

Following the Garo pause above, a vid ride up the nearby gentle approach of Wilkerson Pass for a picnic bench lunch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaGxa...xLOD6VlMOXHwtQ

post #75 of 85 Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:14 am

Garage

Still greatly unique!!

In your latest photos of the Gold Miners Hotel show the high quality of craftsmanship, also the choice of materials to last this long. I see the roof was redone and the stone chimney removed. Is that it sitting in the back right of today's image. Great chronology.
ride safe
post #76 of 85 Old Dec 15th, 2012, 11:42 am

My turn, I found the state archives in Basel and saw that they have a lot of digitalized old timey pictures.
Here have a look..

Slammer's main watering hole in the 50ties, now the home of pints of beer @ 9 USD a pop, standard price here and you don't drink a lot, take it from me.

To the right Rosario's as it was in 1902, today, another Slammer watering hole very nicely done in Art Decor style, beer same price though.

Slammer lives 'ere..

Today it is the academy of music.

Going down the Spalenberg, downtown Basel.

What a fun way to spend a otherwise boring motorbike-less Saturday afternoon

Last edited by Slammer; Dec 15th, 2012 at 11:53 am.
post #77 of 85 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 5:27 am

And one more a the top of the Kohlenberg in the twenties, note the fountain, one thing that fascinates me in Basel is that you can drink from every fountain in the town.

post #78 of 85 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 9:58 am

Some more time travel
This time Schiffländle, the landing bridge for the Rhein cruise liners.

Interestingly the Archive has a lot of colored and redrawn photos, you could say a very early kind of Photoshopping, this one on the Rhein.

post #79 of 85 Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm

What a great couple of hours I have spent lost in these photos ... amazing, thanks!

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC

post #80 of 85 Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 6:49 am

A quick thanks, because I've enjoyed way too much time looking and comparing too many of your fascinating pictures! This thread could be a web site in it'self....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #81 of 85 Old Jan 4th, 2013, 4:09 pm

I started to get bored again, so I grabbed my camera and went on the prowl.

So feel free to dream.
The Swiss railwaystation SBB first built in 1854 and now in the present form since 1907, you can catch the French TGV to Paris, take Germany's ICE to Berlin or Frankfurt or to Hamburg, the EuroCity to Milan or Amsterdam or Kopenhagen, then there is the direct trip, Basel - Posen – Warschau – Brest – Minsk – Moskau-Belorusskaia.

Of course, the Swiss Highspeed Intercity-trains to Zürich, Olten and Bern. On the hour, every hour; Zürich–Chur, Olten–Luzern–Bellinzona–Lugano, Olten–Bern–Interlaken/Visp–Brig und Delsberg–Biel–Neuenburg–Lausanne/Genf.

A picture from a somewhat darker, more sinister period in history, for wartime refugees from allover Europe Basel was a gateway to neutral Switzerland, a lot of the children you see in the picture found homes with Swiss families, others, so called "Verdingskinder" became cheap labor in Farms all over the country, slaves for want of a better word, only recently has the plight of the Verdingskinder come into the public eye.

The Rheinferry, Basel has four of them;
The St. Alban-Ferry – «Wild Maa»
The Münster-Ferry – «Leu»
The Klingental-Ferry – «Vogel Gryff»
And the St. Johann-Ferry – «Ueli»

They don't have a engine and are propelled across the river by the force of the water.

Come Monday I think that I will visit the Basel Archives and see if I can get hold of the HiRes files, maybe then I can really wow you good people.

Last edited by Slammer; Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:33 pm.
post #82 of 85 Old Jan 5th, 2013, 6:56 am

Just now looked in this thread....some absolutely amazing pictures.

Great Stuff.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #83 of 85 Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Garage

Perfect prescription.
Though we have been fortunate no white stuff on the ground all winter the temperatures are too raw to be out riding. Pavement in great shape. But still browsing around these pictures is great for the sanity and urge to go for a ride so I continue to browse . . . thanks
ride safe
post #84 of 85 Old Jan 6th, 2013, 4:43 pm

For the life of me I don't have much sympathy with the town planners of the sixties and seventies, century old houses, the soul of a town, demolished in place of a Fiesta Tristesse of boxy concrete, my home town of Blackburn had it's heart ripped out in the so-called swinging sixties, the Thwaits arcade and the clock tower fell to the wreckers bell, now the crumbling replacements have been cleared away for the glass and stone and steel girder homes of the obnoxious bland copy-paste stores of Footlocker and GAP.

Basel has been able to keep a lot of her old buildings and if you walk through the time portal to the old town the houses have their date that they were built in over the door, 1345, 1266, 14- something or other, centuries upon centuries of people, lives lived, children born, if those houses could just talk....

post #85 of 85 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 5:27 pm

That is IT......I am moving to CO!! (i wish) Thank you for the incredible pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in