Boise to Victoria - Jasper - Banff - Glacier - Jackson - SLC and Home. Advice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Boise to Victoria - Jasper - Banff - Glacier - Jackson - SLC and Home. Advice?

I think I had this posted in the wrong spot, so
I'm going to repost it here. I could use any input
anyone has for the Canadian leg of my planned journey.
I'll be staying in Hotels. Suggestions?

Here's what I posted in another section...

Planning this whooper of a trip for myself the first 2 weeks of Sept. 2012
and would appreciate any advice as to routes, rooms, restaurants, etc. that any of you might have.

I'll be leaving here (Boise) the last day of August and going to Seattle.
Next day is a play day in Seattle then off to Victoria the following day. After another play day in Victoria
I'll ride West around and then across the peninsula to Nanaimo and spend the night in Horseshoe bay.
Next day taking 99 and 97 to Kamloops for the night. Next is a night in Jasper. Taking the Icefields Parkway
to Banff for the night. Next day to Lake McDonald Lodge in Glacier for 2 days. Then to Glacier Park Lodge in E. Glacier for a night.
Heading South to Livingston for an enjoyable evening at The Murray Hotel. Through Yellowstone to Jackson for a night.
Rounding out the trip in SLC for 3 days with friends and then home.

I've attached screen shots of the route planned so far.

I've combed through the threads and see that many of you have traveled these areas.
I also saw that there was a rally in Jasper recently. So, I'm hoping to get some great suggestions.

I'm sure on the Glacier, Jackson route and where to stay - been this way before.
I'm not so sure on the Seattle, Victoria, Jasper, Banff leg of the journey.
And it's the Jasper - Banff area that's got me a little concerned.

After reading a couple of other threads, I'm concerned about the weather up North.
Anyone got some history riding that route in the first part of September?

Again, I would appreciate any input from anyone that's been in these places.
I'll be riding solo and really want to plan this right to avoid any "Ah S##t" surprises.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	71
Size:	649.6 KB
ID:	34039   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	51
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	34040   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	47
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	34044   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	41
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	34045   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	53
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	34046  

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho
2011 Thunder Grey R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You must intoxicate yourself, if you are a modern man,
to forget the oppressive nature of time."
-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)

Last edited by MattWhite; Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:26 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Re: Boise to Victoria - Jasper - Banff - Glacier - Jackson - SLC and Home. Advice?

jealous

You've got a great trip planned out there. Be prepared to take in a lot of beautiful scenery, and use the camera liberally.

Jasper Banff is fine. Just watch out for wildlife, and don't ride through there at night.

The highway north of Banff was getting changed to 4 lanes when I was there in the summer of '10, and they were building numerous wildlife bridges over the highway to keep the critters from wandering on the road.
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 8:40 am

Re: Boise to Victoria - Jasper - Banff - Glacier - Jackson - SLC and Home. Advice?

You have a good route planned
The 4 lanes at Banff run east west.
From Jasper to Banff is two lanes
The Duffy Lake road between Pemberten and Lilloet is two lanes but slower. Extremly beautiful scenery.
Get fuel in pemberton or Squamish
get fuel in lilloet
Victoria Naniamo is on an Island, there is no peninsula.
And the road north from Victoria is paved but only one road. unless you plan on travelling on gravel logging roads.

PM me if you wish

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 8:43 am

Looks to me like you've done the logistical planning and have it pretty well figured out. And I x2 the previous and am jealous. Good job, and enjoy the ride; take your time; and don't get in a rush; in the parks. Your timing is great because after Labor Day, things generally slow down. But the critters will be settling down and may just surprise you. Don't get lulled into too much of a trance and pay attention.

Good job and do B-Safe........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Well, things like MountainMama pointing out that the
road I was intending to take is not paved
and places to gas up are just what I'm needing being that I'm flying solo.

Things to see, alternative routes and lodging / eatin' spots
are greatly appreciated.

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 5th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Don't miss the Flaming gorge on the south stretch...a must seen, nice riding country.

Dana

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 6:42 pm

You have picked an excellent itinerary. I have been over every inch of the route you are planning many times and know that you will be blown away by the gorgeous scenery. The mountains can get snow anytime of the year, so make sure you build an extra day in your schedule in case you have to hole up some where and wait till it melts. I got snowed in at Challis, Idaho last May and was glad I had enough slack built into my itinerary to wait for it to melt rather than risk lowsiding the bike. Last July there was snow coming over the Bow Summit on the Jasper Banff Parkway and it was 30 degrees F. The weather up here in September is normally very nice, but occasionally mother nature will throw you a curve ball. Even if it snows it never lasts more than a day at that time of year.
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 6th, 2012, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks ronk - I'm OK with losing a deposit on a room or 2
if I get stuck. But, good to know that I should carry gear for anything.
Good to know I got a good tour planned. I've never been up North
so I'm looking forward to it.

It's hard to plan so far ahead - I almost can't wait for next
Summer to end.

Weird, huh?

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Hi Matt,

Looks like a great trip. Like you, I am looking forward to doing some riding in Canada one of these days.

My comments are restricted to the Boise-Seattle-Victoria legs.

I assume your Boise to Seattle route was based on making Seattle in a day, and though there is a lot of great riding in eastern and central Oregon, that would probably add too much time. But you might want to peel off at Yakima, heading west on 410. It is a really nice road on a bike, and will offer some stunning views of Mt. Rainier in the park, weather permitting. That route (over Chinook and Cayuse passes) through Mt. Rainier NP does not require paying any park entry fee! It would probably add a little time, but much better than the Yakima to Seattle Interstate run. Gas up in Yakima or nearby just to be sure.

As for the Seattle to Victoria leg, the limiting factor is probably the ferry schedule from Pt. Angeles. Two sailings a day in the summer as I recall, but you should check to make sure. It is a private ferry, not part of the state system. If there is time, I would head south from Seattle to Olympia, then pick up US 101 and ride up the west side of Hood Canal. Very scenic and a nice MC road. By the way, the State Patrol academy is located just north of Shelton on 101, so its best to adhere to every letter of the law in that vicinity, lest you become part of a training exercise!

Jamie
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Wow, the 410 does look nice and curvy - and I'm sure the views are beautiful.
I was planning on just busting to Seattle straight. As it is, it's gonna be 8+ hours in the saddle.
That's about my max. But, I may just have to leave a little earlier so I can hit the 410.
It will add a couple more hours on the ride for 10+ total.
A couple of Advil for breakfast, a couple more with a barley pop for lunch - maybe.
If not - it's definitely on the list of must hits.

I'm gonna hit the 101 out of Seattle - I''ll have plenty of time that day to slow down and enjoy.
Just gotta make the ferry connections.
Thanks for the heads up on the "training grounds".

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 10:29 am

I made the same basic trip the second week of Sept last year: Vernal Utah-Seattle-Vancouver-Kamloops-Jasper (stayed in Hinton)-Ice field parkway(Lake Louise)-Banff-Radium Hot Springs-Cranbrook-Coeur d'Alene-Lewiston-Missoula-Helena-Big Timber via Hwy12-Red Lodge-Bear Tooth Pass-Yellowstone-Jackson-Swan Valley-Soda Springs-Logan---Home.
Had some rain and snow over the top of the Ice Field Parkway but nothing serious. Great ride.
Some Highlights-Vancouver to Whistler; Hinton & Ice field parkway; Hwy 12; Bear tooth pass.
You will have a great time.
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Sounds like lots of good riding. We enjoyed Miette Hot Springs, which is just outside Jasper townsite, but still within the park. If I recall, it is about 20 miles off the highway to Edmonton. There are cabins and a restaurant there, but would suggest reservations if you are hoping to stay. Even if you are not staying, the ride in is worth it.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 8:44 pm

In August 2010 I went from Hope to lillooet to whistler -it a fantastic ride, my all time favorite. The roads are excellent and the scenery is worthy of many stops and photographs. It take you about 3 hours to go from Whistler to Lillooet. Not much in Lillooet, but good reasonably price restaurants.
The ride from Lillooet to cashe creek is just as wonderful, just not quite to a constant jaw dropper. I am concerned that you'll miss the best views heading east, so keep an eye on your rear view mirror. At the intersection of 99 and 97 is a museum of western history. A good stop to visit, take a break and you'll find other bikes there for sure. Don't be too disappointed in the scenery from Cashe Creek on until you get closer to Jasper. I find that central portion of BC is boring, only because western BC and eastern BC/Alberta is just so spectacular.

Also, if you have time, plan a trip from Pt Alberni to Tofino on Vancouver Island. The mountain crossing is one of the best you'll ever ride, plus I saw bear eating along side the hwy.

Have a fabulous trip.
-Mark
post #14 of 23 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Thumbs up Re: Boise to Victoria - Jasper - Banff - Glacier - Jackson - SLC and Home. Advice?

.. xlt, I did it twice, you should expect some rain in Sep, but other than that it's beautiful over there
post #15 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:48 am

If you can fit in going thru Red Lodge Mt, up the Beartooth Hiway into Yellowstone I think you will like the ride. I think the peak elevation is about 10,500 feet. No gas once you leave Red Lodge. I think next gas is about 120 miles. We have had lunch and dinner in the town at the other end. Best steak I have ever had but sadly I do not recall the name of the restaurant.

09 GSA
09 CRF 450 - my moto bike
11 Razor S - my all around fun toy
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:52 am

Cooke city is the name of the town just north of the Yellowstone Park entrance. There is gas, a few tourist stores so you can stretch your legs there

09 GSA
09 CRF 450 - my moto bike
11 Razor S - my all around fun toy
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmith
If you can fit in going thru Red Lodge Mt, up the Beartooth Hiway into Yellowstone I think you will like the ride. I think the peak elevation is about 10,500 feet. No gas once you leave Red Lodge. I think next gas is about 120 miles. We have had lunch and dinner in the town at the other end. Best steak I have ever had but sadly I do not recall the name of the restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmith
Cooke city is the name of the town just north of the Yellowstone Park entrance. There is gas, a few tourist stores so you can stretch your legs there
Thanks for the tip on Red Lodge and Cooke City.
Awhile after posting this, I shuffled my dates around to include the Beartooth.
From Livingston I'll be going to Cody for a night. I was planning on taking the
78 instead of the 212 off the 90 South out of Livingston through to Red Lodge,
hook up with 212 again and over the Beartooth and back to Cody on State Hwy 296.
Doesn't look like I'll hit Cooke City.

Anyone got anything on 78 or State Hwy 296?

From Cody I'll go through the East entrance of the park to Jackson for a night.
Man, Jackson fills up fast even that time of year. It was the last of my reservations
to make for the trip in September, September mind you, called the Antler Inn yesterday and they
were full already! I did get reservations at the Ranch Inn. I stayed there last year and was not
as pleased with the room as I wanted to be. But, at least they are close to the
town square and walking distance to everything I want to see. Which is a saddle stool
at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar and and steak downstairs.

Thanks for the info Pat.

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:25 am Thread Starter

While I was typing the above, I thought I would give the update on the first part of
my itinerary as well.

I'll be heading out a day earlier to include jrhSeattle's suggestion above.
I'm heading from here, to Wallawalla for the night.
Then going jrhSeattle's way over the Chinook and Cayuse passes
through Mt. Rainier NP to Seattle.

Thanks Jamie>

Man, I can't wait... is it September yet?

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #19 of 23 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 11:28 pm

PM me as the date gets closer and I'll give you my cell # , I live in Ellensburg (40 miles from Yakima ) and the wife and I will meet you in Naches(just outside of Yakima ) and we will ride with you to Seattle ,and then make the trip back over I-90 to Ellensburg . Hiway 410 is one of our favorite rides and the best fish and chips ever , except they will put you into a food coma !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 BMW K1200LT light metalic yellow (gold)

6+1 cd changer
V.O.I.C.E. II
BMW Nav II
Muth turn signal mirrors
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoughton
PM me as the date gets closer and I'll give you my cell # , I live in Ellensburg (40 miles from Yakima ) and the wife and I will meet you in Naches(just outside of Yakima ) and we will ride with you to Seattle ,and then make the trip back over I-90 to Ellensburg . Hiway 410 is one of our favorite rides and the best fish and chips ever , except they will put you into a food coma !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mighty nice of you.
I am fond of fish n chips, well any fried food really.

I'll make a note to contact you closer to lift off.

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 24th, 2012, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

I was just reviewing everything for my trip coming up
and was wondering about helmet laws in Canada.

Anyone?

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)
post #22 of 23 Old Jun 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm

mandatory, period

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 24th, 2012, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

That answers that, thanks.

末末末末末末末末末
Matt
Boise, Idaho

-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in