BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Glacier NP Hotels/Lodges where to stay?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  RickMann 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Has anyone stayed in Glacier NP at the Hotels or Lodges? I'm planning the 2012 trips and would like a place that I can do rafting and hiking. There are so many choices on their web site and instead of just picking one I thought I'd ask.
Thanks,
Robert

#4 ·
rwbloch said:
Prince of Wales Hotel, in Waterton Lakes NP, adjacent to Glacier just over the border. Spectacular setting. http://www.glacierparkinc.com/prince_of_wales.php
3 years ago, my wife and I were camped in West Glacier, but rode and then had lunch at the Prince of Wales. Ditto on the setting and scenery. The lunch was quite good; although the service was a bit slow. Other than that, it looked like a great place to stay.

Be aware that if you have an annual pass for the U.S. National Parks (a bargain if you plan to visit several parks) it is not accepted when you enter the Canadian Park. And don't forget to have your passport handy.

#7 ·
We stayed at the Rising Sun Motor Inn, in one of their cabins.It was "just ok". It was kind of spendy for what you get.
As to be expected, the food at their restaurant (Two Dog Flats Grill) was "just ok".
BUT.........they did have a camp store.....where you can get BEER !
Now I wouldn't try riding there this time of year, but in the summer, the ride around the East side of the park (mostly outside the park) is Awesome ! Our Avatar was taken on East Glacier. Its really too crowded inside the park to have max riding fun.

If you want to see the outside of the hotel used in the Shining, and see THE Scary Door Knocker, you need to go to the Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood (East of Portland Oregon)
You can trust me on that one !

#8 ·
Tom-Hudson said:
Prince of Wales Hotel = Beautiful - this is where the movie The Shinning was filmed :dance:
Maybe the interior shots, but the exterior shots in
the movie The Shining was Timberline Lodge on Mnt. Hood in Oregon.
I may live in Boise - but I got web feet from being an Oregonian first. :D

I'm a +1 with BloddHound. I did a trip through Glacier this
year and plan on going back through on my way back down from Banff next year.
I did not stop at Prince of Whales but Lake McDonald Lodge was awesome.
I have reservation in the lodge for 2 nights next Sept. If you plan on staying in any of the park lodges,
MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!! They fill up fast. I had to shuffle my plans
a day to get into the lodge next year.

The Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier is very impressive architecturally.
I have reservation there of 1 night after Lake McDonald. I have heard that the rooms
in the lodge proper are not that great - I have reservations in the West Wing (I believe)
Newer rooms with shared balconies. East Glacier is not anything to write home about,
I use it as a stop over so I can enjoy a liesurely day ride and hikes through the park.
Dining options are nill in East Glacier as well. The only Mexican food place there is
about the best option. It gets crowded.

PM if I can be of any other help. :wave

#10 ·
If you are planning your trip in mid to late July make sure to pick up some flat-head cherries. The best cherries are on the eastern side of flat-head lake. We make it an annual trip to that side of the lake just for those cherries. yummy!

And if you end up travelling through Helena, drop me a note. I served in the Marines and was stationed in Millington for a year...would like to hear about some old hangouts in Memphis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.