Euro trip on a GS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 3:28 am Thread Starter

Euro trip on a GS

Hi all, Im new here. Ive spent a little time reading through the site and have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts. Im a GS rider right now but hoping to add a GT or GTL to that next year. Made the mistake of test riding the GTL and loved it. I took the dual sports path thinking that this would be the best way to go for riding in Eastern Europe. So far this has been a wrong assumption; Ive not long completed a run through 14 countries. Some of which I thought would have terrible roads, wrong again! Dont get me wrong the GS is an amazing machine and probably one of the only bikes that would have stood up to some of the abuse I put it through on my last trip. But this abuse was unnecessary and mainly caused through my reliance on the BMW Nav IV which managed to find what looked like motocross tracks and goat trails. Another lesson learned
Never the less this was a great ride and one which I hope to do again but stopping in different places along the route. The route was from Newcastle in the UK to Amsterdam then across Germany into Poland, down through Poland to Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Hooked back west through Macedonia & Albania. Then turned north up the Adriatic through Montenegro, Croatia into Bosnia then back through Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany then the Netherlands to complete the circuit back to the ferry from Amsterdam. I didnt plan any of the trip and just kind of rode till I felt like stopping and then found a place to stay. Despite my worries when riding through some of the scariest looking places. I found everyone to be helpful and generally decent. Even the gangsters in Mostar who would not let me leave till I arm wrestle with them then insisted that I drink...
It was a great trip and going back to work after it has been very hard. You know how it is when youve come to the end of a run and you just want to turn around and do it all again.
As I said I did this run on the GS and the GS was a good choice. It has a nice riding position, great fuel range, can be used off road depending on ability and tyres. Lets not forget can survive being dropped . Just now that Ive rode the GTL I just cant help but think it could have been done on a luxury tour bike and that would have added to the enjoyment. BMW you are a set of [email protected], I should have kicked the salesman in the sack and told him I didnt want to ride the damn thing.

I would have put some pics of the ride up but have no idea how to attach them.

Regards,

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Dec 29th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Re: Euro trip on a GS

I traveled through Hungary about 10 years ago.
Though, not on a bike.

Sounds like a lovely trip.
Pics would be wonderful.

If you scroll down from where you type in your message
there is a "Manage Attachments" area.
Click on it and then follow the prompts to browse
and select pics from your computer to upload.
You can go back and edit your original post.

Matt
Boise, Idaho
2011 Thunder Grey R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You must intoxicate yourself, if you are a modern man,
to forget the oppressive nature of time."
-Charles Baudelaire

2000 R1100RS (Sold)
1978 R100RS (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in