North to Alaska - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter

North to Alaska

Well not on my LT but rather on my Honda VTX1300R. Right now in Hyder Ak. On the way west I took the opportunity for a SS 2000. Stayed at my cousin's in Pittsburgh and from there to Boise it was 2157 miles. Did 1192 the first day in 19 hours and 965 in 17 the second day. Have slowed down since to smell the wildflowers!

A very enjoyable trip, weather has been good and everything been going smoothly. Stayed with a friend in Boise for about 5 days seeing some things around there. Then headed over Lolo Pass to Glacier, crossed into Alberta to Banff and Jasper parks, across BC, and now up the Cassiar BC 37.

Route to this point.

Camping on the rim of the Snake River

Logan Pass Glacier NP

Lake Louise Alberta in Banff

Athabasca Falls Jasper

Hyder Ak

More scenery and wildlife pics at
https://picasaweb.google.com/1077539...ssCountry2011#

Thanks for lookin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Re: North to Alaska

Today is turnaround day, leaving Alaska and heading down the AlCan to the Trans Canada highway. About 5000 miles behind me and about 4000 in front. Been a great trip so far. Here's where I've been.

I like wildlife and so far I've seen whitetail and mule deer, antelope, elk, moose, LOTS of black bear, grizzly, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, wolf, and did a little fishin.

Here's some wildlife vids:

Cinnamon bear

little bit of griz play

Bighorn ram

sow and cub

Lots of new pics here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:14 am

Did Alaska and the Yukon last year. It was a fabulous trip. I got to relive a little of it looking at your pictures. How many weeks are you taking for the trip?

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2011, 8:04 am Thread Starter

In Michigan now, will be home in 2 days, that'll put it right at 3 weeks, about 8300 miles done and about 1100 to do. Got to claim Wis and Mich yesterday so I can fill those in on my map below.

Liard River Hot Springs in northern BC, a must stop, preferably overnight for an evening and morning dip, VERY nice.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Great pictures, looks like you had an excellent trip. I've got to work up the guts to take a trip like that. Can't help but think about some animal feasting on me for a week. Do you carry any type of bear spray?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 10:56 pm

I took bear spray, but never used it. If you are staying in a campground bears come through generally looking for food that is easy pickings. Keep it locked up and away from your tent and you should be just fine. I have been camping up here for 40 years and have seen only one aggressive bear.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Do you carry any type of bear spray?
No, can't enter Canada with it.

Finished up on Wednesday 27th, 9356 miles, 16 states, 7 provinces, 6 US-Canadian border entries, SaddleSore 2000 certification, 3 weeks 1 day. Getting Wis and Mich completes my biked 49 states. Bike was utterly flawless, except for getting her left eye knocked out somewhere in Mich on Tue. Me, not so flawless! I lost 1 pair of reading glasses, bought another and managed to put them and my prescription pair in the same shirt pocket for riding all day, after rubbing together all day they both got ruined. Lost my $250 Ultimate backrest in the Yukon after removing it to remove my rain seat cover and forgetting to put it back on. Probably bounced off the crate on the back, realized it wasn't behind my back 4 hours later. Turns out I don't need it, from the Yukon home I never felt any difference.

A very good trip, got to do some fishing and remote camping. Had my complete camping setup, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, supply of freeze dried food, water filter, and fishing pole.

Lots of pics and several videos (although drastically degraded by picasa) at:

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in