50CC...The Prequel (aka My First SS1000) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 7:46 am Thread Starter

50CC...The Prequel (aka My First SS1000)

Prologue
Preparation for my first SS1000 began more than a year ago. It started with my attendance at a RTE in Leavenworth, Indiana (The Dock). Prior to that event, I knew nothing of the IBA or the various endurance rides motorcyclists could attempt.

Now here I am writing a ride report for my first endurance ride.

I initially registered for the regional SS1000 in Jacksonville, Florida, but work got in the way and I had to scramble for a back up plan. I recalled seeing a route on the Internet from a regional held in Georgia back in 2009, so I decided it would serve as a nice alternative.

The Route
Start in Newnan, Georgia, which is just south of Atlanta. Take I-85 north to I-285 east. From there travel I-20 east to Columbia, SC then north on I-77 through Charlotte, NC to I-40. Travel I-40 west through Knoxville, TN to Nashville, TN. From there, I-24 east to Chattanooga, TN then I-75 south to I-85 south. I tweaked the route a bit and ended in Union City, GA, which is closer to my house. Distance indicated by Microsoft Streets and Trips: 1031.8 miles.

June 4, 2011. D-Day
I awoke at approximately 3:30a.m. I beat the alarm clock. Obviously, the excitement created another alarm clock in my subconscious, one that wanted to get started earlier than I planned. I showered, got dressed and went over my final checklists for the ride. At 4:24a.m, I ATGATTed, started the bike ('00 BMW K1200LT), and headed for the start point where my witness met me. The obligatory form was completed and I headed for the gas pump to fill up. I obtained the receipt, which showed my official start time as 4:59a.m. Odometer reading showed 84, 471.

The traffic cooperated throughout South Carolina. North Carolina? Well, let me just ask a question: Does the state have a law mandating all drivers to remain in the left lane on the highway, even when it is obvious others are attempting to pass? Sheesh! I now understand the Wright brothers’ motivation for inventing the airplane. Like South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia received good marks.

As for the weather, temperatures were in the mid- to upper-70s in South and North Carolina (NC weather marginally made up for their traffic). By the time I approached Knoxville, someone had turned up the furnace. Way up. Temperatures in the high 90s for the next several hours awaited me. It was so hot that I dreaded stopping the bike for gas, but, of course, had no choice. At each stop, the first thing I did was grab water from my cooler. My biggest fear was the temperature having an ill affect on my stamina.

Four hours into the ride, I realized something. No burn. At about this time I usually begin to get a sensation in my derriere that lets me know it is time for Pilates, or anything, to get the sensation back into my butt. Not this time. The Rick Mayer (shameless plug) seat that I ordered arrived two days before the ride and I cannot imagine how I would have fared without it and the LD Comfort shorts I wore for the first time. I am not sure which had the bigger impact, but I cannot say enough about the difference an aftermarket seat makes. Special mention to the Mick-O-Pegs highway pegs I also installed.

At certain points during the ride, I did feel a bit sleepy or fatigued. Having tunes on the bike was definitely a lifesaver. I would sing aloud and on a few songs, I even “danced” in the saddle. Worked wonders, although some of the motorists either thought a wind was really buffeting the bike or my cooler carried something other than water.

The only stops I made were for gas. Six stops along the route (not counting the start/finish points). Whenever riding any distance, I rarely get hungry enough to want to stop for a sit-down meal. The snacks I carried with me served their purpose of filling any cracks. Besides, after the first 250 miles I had a nice rhythm going and did not want to lose it.

I pulled into the final checkpoint, fueled up, and got the receipt. 9:45pm it read. That is 16 hours, 46 minutes by my calculations. Not bad, I thought. The odometer read 85535. That is 1064 miles! Stupid odometer.

Thankfully, the ride was uneventful, except for some minor issues I had with several receipts.

Observations:

•Stay away from North Carolina if you want hassle-free passing
•Whatever you do, if plan on doing any LD riding, run, don’t walk, to your nearest after-market seat dealer.
•Snacks are manna from heaven. Make sure you carry an ample supply. Water too.
•Never trust your bike’s odometer. It lies.

Epilogue
Would I do another? Without a doubt. Bring on the 50CC!

Darryl
2000 K1200LT, Champagne, "The First Lady"
2009 DL650, Silver(Fastest),"WeeStrom"
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 8:03 am

Thumbs up Re: 50CC...The Prequel (aka My First SS1000)

Nice going!
What kind of snacks did you carry with you?
Do you know how much water you "rented"?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 50CC...The Prequel (aka My First SS1000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Nice going!
Well, he did say he only stopped for gas. So maybe he really did buy rather than rent the water!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:43 am

Congratulations Darryl. Seems like you had a good ride. I know what you mean about those people hugging the left lane. Here we call it Saskatchewan. They seem to think flashing your lights means you're enjoying the view of their trunk. Continued success with future rides.
Cheers
Peter
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:07 am

Nicely done Darryl! That saddle must be a dandy if you are looking forward to the 50CC. Once you're done with the 50CC you have to come back!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 9:23 am

I think all NC drivers get theirs drivers license in Texas where they practice driving in the left lane. Our State Motto is now, "Pass one car and do not let anybody else through".

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 12:16 pm

I did a SS1000 on Saturday 6/4/2011 as well. Rode with a group of seven so that made it a little better. We all had large capacity tanks and stopped about very 225 miles. Rode from Seattle to near Boise and back. We left Seattle at 5:30 AM and returned to our end point just east of Seattle at 11:45PM. Very quick stops except for lunch in Horseshoe Bend, ID along the Payette River (near site of CCR 2011). The first 3 or 400 miles were fine but I have a stock seat and it became pretty painful after that. I found myself standing on my pegs for relief. A seat upgrade is definitly in my future. I will be visiting Rich's in Kingston WA before doing anymore marathon rides.

Jon R.

09 K2009LT
01 Honda Shadow Sabre - Sold
03 Honda XR650L - Sold - gave up off road riding.
Various other off road and dual sport bikes over previous 20 years.
69 Triumph Bonneville - 35 years ago
67 Honda 150 dream - 1st bike when I was 16 YO
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 10:25 am

Congrats on your SS1000! They can become addicting.

I've done two SS1000 rides, and am planning a BunBurner Gold on the fourth of July... Which is also a fundraiser. www.endure4kids.com

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Congrats on the SS1000. Being comfortable riding big miles opens up many new possibilites for a weekend ride.

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Congrats on your SS1000! They can become addicting.

I've done two SS1000 rides, and am planning a BunBurner Gold on the fourth of July... Which is also a fundraiser. www.endure4kids.com
Good luck on your BBG. I'm actually in the process of planning a route to complete one in October. I guess I really drank the Kool-Aid.

Darryl
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Nice going!
Carried fruit (bananas, apples), Granola bars, and a few sandwiches. Exploring how I can improve on my snacks for future rides, but these items served their purpose well.

Darryl
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Nicely done Darryl! That saddle must be a dandy if you are looking forward to the 50CC. Once you're done with the 50CC you have to come back!

Loren
Thanks, Loren. Do I really have to make it a round trip?! Something to think about...

Darryl
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
Congratulations Darryl. Seems like you had a good ride. I know what you mean about those people hugging the left lane. Here we call it Saskatchewan. They seem to think flashing your lights means you're enjoying the view of their trunk. Continued success with future rides.
Cheers
Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the congratulatory remarks and well wishes.

Darryl
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Congrats on the SS1000. Being comfortable riding big miles opens up many new possibilites for a weekend ride.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. Quality seats really do make a difference.

Darryl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in