Harrassed, verybally abused and refused entry to Canada at Falls! Pt 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jun 4th, 2011, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Harrassed, verybally abused and refused entry to Canada at Falls! Pt 2

I hope this post saves others the disappointment and hassle we endured on this journey. I now understand why there are so many You Tube videos of out of control enforcement officers and other individuals in a position of authority, which they abuse. Thankfully some of these rotten apples then lose their jobs as a result of those postings. This was a public area, out in the open and there is no reason the ordeal should not have been documented, IMO. If they are not doing anything unlawful, there should be no issue.

I attempted to take a photo of all the luggage being taken apart, the people involved etc., and each time I was told not to move, not to get near the bike, not to touch my clothing, etc. Looking back, I would have loved to have had one of the $130 pen / video camera recording devices and would have posted this unethical and unwarranted detainment on You Tube.

They refused to provide any identification of the agents involved, no paperwork to document the charges against us in writing, nothing. No pictures, no documentation and unfortunately we had never expected anything like this or I would have had my voice recorder running the entire time.

Amazingly, they had to ask what our flashlights even were! Now how experienced an Customs Agent does it take to identify a simple flashlight?

They could not determine what it was or how to turn it on, due to the end cap having been turned off so the light would not be activated by accident during the journey, which could have resulted in a fire.

This 180 lumens Fenix light gets extremely hot if left unattended, and having had this happen to me when I first bought one in the past, it was a necessary precaution and I do not ride at night with at least two of these lights in case of any emergency.

Now that I have just awakened after a brief six hours of much needed sleep and awakened from back pain which I can not take any more pain meds for at this point, I will be up most of the night and attempting to
forward this message to a few friends, my AAA agent and another MC forum.

Good luck to anyone that visits the area. Had we been forewarned anything of this nature would have been anticipated, we would just have stayed on the U.S. side of the Falls, and would have saved us three hours of hell during a point in time which I was most exhausted and vulnerable.

I had attained my goal of a six+ hour drive to our intended destination, only to be turned back by some way "to big an ego driven idiot", working in a position of authority she was obviously not suited to handle and was extremely abusive and out of control. We did absolutely nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

The main reason we attempted to stay in Canada was the cost of the rooms in a much more comfortable hotel were significantly less expensive than anywhere nearby in the U.S., at or near Niagra Falls.

Had it not been for the $40 Guardian pepper spray, we most likely would have enjoyed the two days and had another great memory of what could have been a fantastic journey on the new to us Gold Wing. But, being the honest person I am, I told the truth, never expecting to be treated like a criminal and verbally abused by a very young woman that I would suggest is in need of an attitude adjustment and a different line of work.

It rained most of the way home today. Not one glitch in the bike which ran phenomenally. For those of you with transmission issues or concerns, I highly suggest you do not allow your Honda dealer to dissuade you from having the transmission fixed under warranty, if you feel there is a problem with it. This bike runs so fantastic, it is hard to believe it is even the same bike. This shifts as smoother than I ever imagined, due to all the posts on the "clunky transmissions are just built that way", and or you don't know how to shift explanation from my local dealer, this was a real pleasure to drive and THE best two up touring bike I have ever had the pleasure to take on a trip like this.

I also found the Walmart plastic doughnut hole shaped air bladder in the pharmaceutical department a wonderful addition to the comfort seat. I used that for all but two hours of the trip, then put that inside my companions Walmart comfort cushion. I will say it was an extremely painful two hour completion of my ride without that air bladder.

I did use the suggested wheel barrel inner tube last year and that is not nearly as comfortable as this $8 item is from Walmart. We drove 734 miles in 32 hrs, which for me was a massive undertaking with only ten hours sleep in three days, until my much needed sleep when I returned home. I am both terribly exhausted and extremely disappointed with the experience, which was totally unnecessary and uncalled for, IMO.

A very obvious and distinct total contrast in policy compared to what is going on with the U.S. border and Mexico!

Hard to believe, but the most enjoyable moment of interaction was with this ground hog in the album, which we saw while trying to resolve our hotel reservations at a McDonald's in Marietta, Rochester, N.Y.

Thanks to all the great folks on this forum that have provided much needed suggestions on what to look for as potential issues with the Wing, as many items were fixed under warranty I would never have thought to even consider, as we spared no expense to make sure this bike would be as dependable as humanly possible for a safe adventure, as our lives depended on it.

A bit disappointing by nonetheless necessary was the use of the updated OEM Honda GPS. The latest $200 mapping card was dated 2009 and installed during the transmission rebuild in the winter of 2010. It failed to provide routing anywhere close to the recommendation provided for this trip by AAA. However, my companion can not see the print wearing the helmet and there is no way I could have read the much to small a font, with four pages of complex directions which were provided for us. This would have been difficult to understand driving a car, let alone attempting to do this on a motorcycle.

While the directions provided by the GPS were not perfect, they did get us to where we wanted to be, however it would have been nice to take the scenic route on the way home.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how best deal with the Canadian Customs office to file a formal complaint, I would appreciate that being directed to my personal e-mail address please. You can reach me at [email protected].

I do not authorize ANY portion of the use of this thread without my express written consent!

All Rights Explicitly Reserved, With Prejudice
Wayne Brunner
Lehighton, Pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jun 5th, 2011, 1:38 am
Old Dawg

Re: Harrassed, verybally abused and refused entry to Canada at Falls! Pt 2

Somehow this brings back memories of this thread...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39130

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 25 Old Jun 5th, 2011, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Somehow this brings back memories of this thread...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39130
Do you have any idea how many tens of thousands of dollars was saved by area residents since I posted that thread? You should see the line of cars waiting to cash in their discounts the last week of each points cycle.

Due to my taking action with a large company that did not properly adhere to their own company policy and this one store previously restricting the fuel discount to $30, instead of their actual Corporate policy of discounting 30 gallons / vehicle, which also includes spare gas cans, many area residents have a bit more money to spend on food, other necessities or recreation if you are fortunate enough.

I personally average about $1-$1.50/gal off each time I have to fill my 35 gal tank on my van. I don't really give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks. It was the right thing to do.

Last edited by yechave; Jun 5th, 2011 at 9:52 am.

post #4 of 25 Old Jun 5th, 2011, 10:33 pm

At least when you post on a BMW sight you could change your verbiage instead of just copying your Honda forum thread: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284825

Also check out here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...the-other-side

Garry

PROUD to be Canadian!

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 9:05 pm

If the goal is to warn others about possible "issues" at a border crossing, why bother retyping the same text? Copy/paste makes perfect sense... and if you're trying to make a message widespread it's the efficient way to go.

Now, if you disagree with his message, that's a different thing. M2CW, of course.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 25 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Thanks, Wayne.. at least I did not hit the Honda site scrubbers..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 5:10 am

Wink Re: Harrassed, verybally abused and refused entry to Canada at Falls! Pt 2

BTDT. 14 years ago crossed from NY To Niagra falls Ontario. 12 midnight myself, wife 2 kids in a 36' flat nosed bus motorhome. Made the mistake of acknowledging that I do in fact own guns but didn't have any of them with me. 45 min later the buffoon at the border let us pass but not before threatening to dismantle the motorhome to find the guns. Haven't been back to Canada since nor do I ever plan to in the future. I'm not some gun toting hillbilly by any means but Ifelt like I was being harassed as if I was.

I should have just said I dont believe in guns, that the state should be the only ones to have guns and that i love maple trees best of all. I would have probably just skipped across the border unphased.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:28 am.
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 9:48 am

Okay I have read all the posts in this thread and also in the other thread on this topic. I also took the time to read the thread on the wing site. A couple of things come to mind quickly.

1) Bringing in objects that are banned from Canada and classed as weapons: This information is freely available on the web with minimal searching. To attempt to use the "I didn't know so it isn't my fault" excuse is not going to cut it. The onus of responsibility is on you to insure that you are in compliance with the laws of the country you are attempting to enter. Both the American and the Canadian legal system do not accept ignorance of the law as an excuse" You were wrong period. You could have found the information with a simple search on the web.

2) attitude: Your attitude from your posts and from your previous posts on this site is one of "feel sorry for me" I am injured, I am poor, I am unhappy, and it is all someone elses' fault. This is probably the cause of the majority of your problems in this world. It is not everyone elses' fault that your life has not turned out the way that you wanted it. Get over it and get over yourself. Yes it sucks to be you, suck it up buttercup, there are people who have had a lot worse things happen to them than you have and they are not complaining, whining and expecting everyone to feel sorry for them.

3) your interaction with the border crossing agents: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? If you truly behaved in the manner that you wrote about you are very lucky not to be facing charges. If you had tried this with the US border crossing authorities you would be in a jail cell. Throwing your keys at/to any border crossing agent either American or Canadian is a very good way to get the opportunity to check out the inside of a cell. Your attitude was the major cause of your problems, to attempt to blame it on everyone else around you is just immature to the extreme.

I have travelled back and forth across the Canada US border more times than I can count both for business and for pleasure and I have never had any problems going in either direction. Why? Because I leave my ATTITUDE at home. You may want to consider trying it sometime, it will probably have amazing results.

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 9:58 am Thread Starter

I am astounded at most of the replies that have been posted on this issue, which was intended to warn other MC riders of what to expect. I did not put all the information in the OT, such as "do you have a knife" etc., and I am sure there are many other questions they could have asked.....because I still do not know all what is or is not allowed.

Once I handed over the pepper spray, there was no more discussion of any kind.

I did speak with the person in charge of the Rainbow Bridge crossing last night and explained we requested chairs, due to our back issues. My companion has severe scoliosis and had a $20K surgery to help relieve some of the curvature 3 yrs ago. I have a fused neck, five bulging discs, had a fractured Thoracic vertebra, and no disc at L5-S1, having had surgery in 1987. I was told had I asked, we should have been provided seating inside the building, which we were not. Then I am told I should not be on a MC in the first place! Guess they have not seen the movie of the Nam Vet that road his HD around the world, and was a double leg amputee.

I did receive quite a few very positive posts, a great deal of information, horror stories, and one man offered the link that was necessary to go forward with a formal complaint.

The following quotes were posted on another forum, and I thought it fitting to post them here:

Thanks for the info. Sorry your trip turned out badly. I don't plan to go there.

"That in an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

If I had the time, I would paste each and every post from people that have had very bad experiences at the Border, and post those as well. This one thread is all over the web right now and has become much more complicated than I ever could have imagined. Great!

Maybe it will make a difference and save someone else the loss we experienced.

Of the 3.5 yrs I have been on MC forums, the LT members were in a class of their own (with some exceptions as you can see), and I miss that.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear" ~ Cicero Marcus Tullius

"The state calls its own violence law but that of the individual crime." - Max Stirner

"I won't be wronged! I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Bernard Books

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do
Evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

-Albert Einstein

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
post #10 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:36 pm

I am sorry you had a horrible experience when you tried to come to our great land, but, do your homework when you leave your country. Just because we border the US doesn't mean that we have the same laws as the US. Would you of gone to Mexico with pepper spray? Would you go to Europe with pepper spray? Could you get on an airliner with pepper spray?

There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Canada/USA border crossings a year. Is everyone having these problems, or are the problems caused by the individual themselves?

Sorry, again, if you are up in my neck of the woods sometime, I'll buy you a beer. (a good Canadian beer)

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #11 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Howdy Y'all!

Y'all come on down to Texas with yer guns.....just don't be pullin' 'em out unless yer well intending on usin' 'em......and then ya better not miss!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #12 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 2:57 pm

WOW! Read the other post (the gas war saga) by the OP and my gracious, what a tough life!

My border crossing experience was very different in that the conversation was very civil and polite both ways. My irritation was that we got held up for 45 minutes with the questions being repeated numerous times and the threats of boarding and searching our vehicle for guns. There was absolutely nothing being hidden, legal or otherwise.

There were no other cars at the crossing during the time we were trying to cross. Maybe the dude was just lonely?

The quote for our entire cross country trip came from our 12 year old son when we reached the "Welcome to America" sign at the border. He said " boy am I glad to be back in America. I was starting to get the Canadian willies". The experience bothered him more than we realized at the time.

Oh well we made it home OK.

The OP should take to heart some advice I have given my kids: There are only 2 kinds of battles worth fighting. Those you know without a doubt that you can win and those that are so important that it outweighs the risk of losing. Neither the gas war saga or the border crossing would qualify.

Good night Gracie!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 3:52 pm

I find it inappropriate to attack the person and not the message. This isn't congress. Discuss the message; don't try and assassinate character based on previous posts.

You could've researched the laws of candadia first, but with so many jurisdictions and their varied laws, knowing and complying with them all is impractical. Yes, country lines are more obvious, and because you know you're going to go through a checkpoint, some research is a good idea. Still, the logical response to "you cannot have pepper spray in canadia" is to have you discard it. If you wanted to smuggle it in, you would've kept your mouth shut. Of course, had you been allowed across the border, you probably would've broken several other laws you had no reason to know of.

Many people have been harassed and turned back at the border simply because they were not completely subservient to law enforcement. There is often another reason they'll point to, but the real reason is often just your attitude, and how it interferes with their feelings of moral superiority. Today, with so many laws, it's likely they can always find some reason to harass you.

Don't let this disappointment make you angry. Had you been able to film this entire thing, had you gotten the names of the agents, had you filed a complaint, had you sued them, etc., the people you feel wronged you would not have been held accountable, and you're unlikely to have received any satisfaction at all. Bottom line is, you're in a police state. Change your life in ways you can and are willing to to make the best of it. Forgive those who wrong you. Get on with your life. You being angry doesn't bother them at all. In fact, some of them like it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #14 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:09 pm

I've crossed the US/Mexican border numerous times over the years, as well as a handful (5-6) of times crossing the US/Canadian border with ground transportation. I've never had a problem and the only time I got sent to secondary inspection was to verify my ID (I had a passport) crossing the Canadian/Montana border in '04 (before the rules said you had to have 'em).

My "rules for the crossing"

1. When pulling up, greet them with "good morning", "good afternoon", etc. Do NOT ask them how they are doing as that creates unnecessary conversation which they usually don't have time for.

2. Any questions should be answered yes, no or in as short of order as possible. Do not fire back a question at him/her.

3. Maintain eye contact. They are trained to look for this as looking away when answering is one of the first signs of fibbing. If you're wearing sunglasses, helmet visors etc, take em off so they can see your eyes.

3. No matter what, be respectful. Attitude will get you nowhere. When I was a kid my dad and his friend were coming back from a weekend camping in Mexico, and his friend (who was a hothead) told the U.S. inspector "I work for a living, what do you do?". Off they went to secondary to take everything out of the truck. I'm sure the inspector knew there was nothing in there, but he rightfully proved his point. My dad still gives his friend a hard time about that...

This is in no way meant to be a negative on the originator of this thread. It's just my observations and experiences over the years. Who knows.....Maybe I'm just the luckiest guy in the world and only get the nice inspectors.

Last edited by billd987; Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:22 pm.
post #15 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:11 am Thread Starter

I appreciate the courteous and intelligent replies!

In an attempt to find out why AAA nor the U.S. Border agents did not know or warn us about any issues as to what might even be a problem crossing into Canada, I found some new information this morning.

The U.S. Customs Border Patrol can search you and everything you have, without a warrant.
When you call their phone number, you get a message stating the U.S. will not tell or suggest what is or is not allowed entry into another Country and you are to contact their consulate in Washington, D.C. 877-CBP-5511

This is about as bizarre as gun permits being offered or sold by a Sheriff in the U.S., without any regulations, guidelines or official documents to abide by, not being provided to anyone with a CCW. At least that is how it goes here in Pa.

I've carried since 1979 and it was not until questions starting coming up, whether or not a photo copy of the gun permit was allowed, did I find it was not. I spent weeks investigating what exactly the Law was in Pa., and could not get an answer from any Law Enforcement Agency, including the agency that provides the permits. I still do not have any written policy as to what is or is not allowed.

There is even a statement from Canada which does not allow you to cross the border with a certain type of wood. I was unable to paste their attachments to the post.

"You could've researched the laws of candadia first, but with so many jurisdictions and their varied laws, knowing and complying with them all is impractical.

This is absolutely correct!

We were not wearing sunglasses and both our modular helmets were open. We had nothing to hide.

"Had you been able to film this entire thing, had you gotten the names of the agents, had you filed a complaint, had you sued them, etc., the people you feel wronged you would not have been held accountable, and you're unlikely to have received any satisfaction at all."

I would venture a guess and say this is correct. I have gathered way too many replies from people from across the U.S. and Canada, all with very similar stories. I believe these people are put there as deterrents to keep people out of their Country. Apparently, it is working. I just wish I had known that prior to making the trip as I could have rather enjoyed myself and stayed within the U.S., and had a much more pleasant experience.

Here are some excerpts from other sites, mail and e-mails (some edited due to length):

I've heard many stories, such as yours over the last couple of decades. As Canada has become more socialistic, and 'protective' of their, similar to the UK's, non self-protection mandates, crossing into Canada has become much the same as crossing into the old iron curtain countries of Europe.

Canada may speak a language similar to ours but is, after all, a foreign country.

Canada is not the only country getting back at us . . . .
The more that Homeland Security does to "PROTECT" us the more the rest of the world will follow suit.
Other countries do not like their citizens being treated like criminals without due cause.
It will only get worst as long as "Homeland Security" is around and using scanning and pat-downs to make us look and feel safe.

I have only been to Canada three times. Once I went to Windsor with my family when I was in High School. Another time was back in the Fall of 1990 when I went to Toronto with several co-workers for some work related meetings. And the last time was in the Summer of 1999, when I went to a company picnic at my boss's cottage in LaSalle, Ontario, across the river from Detroit. None of those times was I impressed with the country. Since then, Canada has continued to follow the UK's lead into socialism, denying all citizens their rights to defend themselves and their loved ones, and treating U.S. citizens like dirt. Therefore I have no desire to ever again go back to Canada. There are plenty of beautiful places in this country that I can visit without having to spend my hard earned cash in places that do not respect my God given rights.

Just another sign of how messed up our world has become.

Back in the early 70's when I was living outside of Detroit with my cousins there were many a night that we took the tunnel into Canada. As far as any border crossing I do not even remember one, if in fact there was one it was no more than a wave and smile.

In the late 90's when I drove a truck over the road, the company told us how bad it could be going into and out of Canada.

They said things like "You might get in but you may not get out". They also said if we had even one DUI in our past that they would know it and not allow us entry. They said the Canadians would basically know our entire past history and said that they had in the past had drivers held simply over having knives in their trucks.

We were paid extra $$ to make any trips up there and as much as I could have used it, I put myself on a list to never be dispatched over the border, not because I had any past to fear but I did have my trusty Buck 110 pocket knife and I simply did not want to take the risk that I would get stuck there over that. It wasn't like I had a machete but it isnt a real small knife either. I simply would not go. They made it sound too scary.

And to think they are supposed to be our good neighbors?

Sometimes.....well a lot of times these days it seems as if I have lived two completely different lives in two completely different countries and worlds.

I know it wont change anything but I sure do hate that your long planned trip was ruined that way and I sure dont blame you for not wanting to ever try to go back.

Thanks for the info. Sorry your trip turned out badly. I don't plan to go there.

14 years ago crossed from NY To Niagra falls Ontario. 12 midnight myself, wife 2 kids in a 36' flat nosed bus motor home. Made the mistake of acknowledging that I do in fact own guns but didn't have any of them with me. 45 min later the buffoon at the border let us pass but not before threatening to dismantle the motorhome to find the guns. Haven't been back to Canada since nor do I ever plan to in the future. I'm not some gun toting hillbilly by any means but Ifelt like I was being harassed as if I was.

To file a complaint electronically:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html
BTW, This did not work. I spent hours writing the complaint, sent it via their auto submission which does not provide an address, and was sent a message it could not be read. I did however use the phone number to finally get patched to the Rainbow Bridge facility.

My first trip to Canada (I only lived about 3 miles from the border at the time) took about 3 hours to get across the border. When asked where I was coming from I said "What? oh Washington" (DUH) they told me to pull over to customs. When they found out my 11 year old daughter and I don't have the same last name they went nuts, separated us, interrogated her about who am I and is she OK, meanwhile the other "agents" had removed the seats from my car and were going through everything i had. The entire time they were talking to me like I am some kind of escaped felon. When they didn't find anything and FINALLY got through to my daughters mom in AZ they decided I could then repack my stuff and go on my way. Definately my last trip over the border.

I'm so sorry to hear of your lousy treatment by these not-so-civil servants. I hope the foul taste of this encounter goes away quickly.

Ah yes, my last visit to the great white north was July 2010. It seems there must be a standard list of questions that must be answered when entering the county to the North.

Sorry to hear of your experience. I must say though that the treatment does go in both directions. I won't go into all of the details but pre- passport requirement days many years ago, I once visited Niagara,CA. Upon my return I had the most horrible experience with a U.S. Customs agent despite showing 2 forms of govenrment issued photo ID he was yelling at me about not carrying a birth certificate. Well that's the short version anyway. Glad your bike treated you well.

I've had two people share this same experience, one was a retired LEO.

Funny thing is that I feel their side of the bridge is the side that is overboard.

The United Staters are used to being worshiped by the lower entities of the earth. As the respect dwindles for the newest member to the Banana Republic, United Staters will have an immense readjustment in the way the world perceives them or tolerates them.

Anyways lately I have found the American border crossing to be more pleasant than my return to Canada. There is no doubt an increase in the number of asshats that we have operating our border.

My wife and I were denied entry into Canada in 2002 at a crossing in Montana. We were verbally abused by a female agent. We arrived at the crossing without our helmets on. She had nasty comments about that. Upon seeing we were from Texas she said "I know you own guns. Where are they?" When I told her I left them at home she wanted to know why. We suffered about an hour of abuse before they told us we couldn't enter because my wife had a previous DWI. They don't allow felons in Canada. (The DWI is a misdemeanor in Texas) The final insult was making us sign papers that stated we decided on our own we didn't want to visit Canada after all.

Screw Canada. And screw all you Canadians with a holier than thou attitude.

Being harassed by a border guard while coming into canada. Try bringing in a small bottle of alieve. And we are Canadian and it was a
at the Canadian border by a Canadian border service bit.. with blond hair. Talk about pms ing. she was such a lying bit.. that we lost our nexus cards. Since i travell to the us 3 to 4 times a week minimum i need that card to beat the lineups. Well needless to say after some complaints our cards were returned to us toot sweet as the guard fu..ed up royally.
so to get turned back by having bear spray, we lost nexus cards due to a pain remedy alieve. also a total car search and lots of useless threats. We should have complained right then and there but zipping the lip in some cases like this is the better part of valor.

Disapointed in you, Brian. Never thought you'd stoop to calling someone on here those names. This is just another thread showing that the bar on this board has been lowered.

I have been through almost as many customs inspections as Dan (MD11Pilot) and I can say that without a doubt that the biggest azzes that I've encountered have been right here in the good ole USofA. I've been called a liar and threatened with legal action more than once. But each time I walked away without a scratch because I remained courteous and secure in knowing that I had followed all the rules and had done nothing wrong. These guys just had a bug up their butt because they had to come to the airport after hours or had to leave their a/c office or they were just mad at the world that day. Everyone is entitled to a bad day at the office every once in a while but when they have some power sometimes it goes to their heads.

But I did have a run in with a Canadian Customs agent (Herbie Hay) back in '82. He beat me so severely that it was weeks before I recovered. Only later did I find out that he was the champion at the local country club. That was one long 18 holes of golf. That and the GD black flies ate my azz up.

My advise is if your going to play the game know the rules. If you break the rules just be ready for what happens next. But remain courteous and respectful and it will all be over soon. They don't want to spend all day hassling you when there are so many others out there that need their special attention too.

I used to go into Canada to do some training. I'd fly into Buffalo, NY & the trainer would pick me up & take me across the border to the training site. Keep in mind this is a man who crosses the border often as I'm certainly not even close to his only student. My first trip in, he mutters under his breath as we approach the border. His wife gave me a little bit of an embarrassed look. He asks for my identification & told me to only speak if the border guard spoke to me & be very careful to keep it as close to one word answers as possible. The guards were all women but 2 & it's probably the rudest experience I've ever had. I got the light shinned in my eyes. They did the same to my dog. A lot of rude talk including - what seemed to me like - trying to provoke a snarky response. I really think the only reason we got through without problem is because I was with 2 canadian citizens. Would I go through the border on my own... NOPE... not after that. Later after we were thru he told me he wasn't trying to be sexist but it was his experience that the female border agents seemed to have something to prove & it was often ugly. My response was simple, "they give women a bad name" Don't care what they think their excuse was, we were compliant, we answered all questions asked, no one was trying to hide anything & we were being harrassed & abused every chance they got.

I have a friend who was basically robbed by border patrol. Her car got searched & while they had her off to the side, her emergency money that she had hidden in the car... disappeared. Another time she went through she ended up having to pay some huge fee for bringing something into country that they were convinced was for sale. The items weren't for sale, they didn't belong to her she was returning them to their rightful owner. But basically if she wanted to go she had to pay.

I've heard a lot of stories like yours & am of the opinion that both countries would be safer if they jailed the criminals & extortionist at the border patrol (as a side note, never saw this from the US border patrol folks). I understand that there are rules to be followed when you go into another country however that is not license to behave like that.

As an international traveler, you should be aware of the rules for bringing items back from your trip.

- Know Before You Go: Regulations for International Travel by U.S. Residents
- 06/08/2009

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

In the words of Frederick Douglas,

"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Last edited by yechave; Jun 9th, 2011 at 10:21 am.
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:05 am

There are always 2 sides to a story. We get the same treatment from your border guards when we come to the USA. Since 911 the US has beefed up security the same as all other countries. Homeland security even wanted the passenger listing of airlines whose flights fly over the US but do not land there, did you know that? They could also refuse the airline from making the flight if they didn't like a name on the list, no reason, just refuse the flight.

The DUI or conviction status is also from 911, Canada and the US share a convictions data base, on the urging of Homeland Security, So that if you have any criminal convictions you cannot enter either country, when they scan your passport they can see all of this.

I was in Normandy a few years ago, Went to visit WWII memorials. Went to some Canadian cemeteries no guards, beautifully keep grounds, went to a US one, armed guards, high fences, barbed wire. Don't tell me we have a "holier than thou attitude"!!!

Like I said before "Millions and Millions of people cross the border every year" with that many people doing it you will always get problems on BOTH sides of the border, I guess as CANADIANS we don't complain as much as you do in the US.

So like I said before, If you ever do come to Canada and are in my neck of the woods I'll buy you a good CANADIAN beer.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #17 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:55 am

I was trying to avoid this thread hoping it would die, Like it should. I am only replying now because I am getting a little pissed about the ignorant comments being made by what I call an ugly American. I was born in the USA and love my country, It has its fair share of faults(caused by bad lawyers and politicians) . Therefore I do not think we should be throwing stones at other civilized countries. I have crossed the border into Canada about 50 times from east coast to west. The only time I had a problem was with a female agent. She was one of the most beautiful looking women I have ever seen and I jokingly asked her to join me on my 3 week boat trip into northern BC. She bordered my boat and did some snooping around. She was nice enough not to tell my girlfriend about the comment I made. I have on the other hand been treated very poorly by US customs when returning home to my own country. Over my life span I have spent a couple hundred days touring Canada by land and sea and have never been treated rudely by its citizens. If you go to another country, any country, Obey their laws and customs or do not go there. Period.... This thread has surpassed its usefulness (if it ever had any) and should be locked.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I was trying to avoid this thread hoping it would die, Like it should. I am only replying now because I am getting a little pissed about the ignorant comments being made by what I call an ugly American. I was born in the USA and love my country, It has its fair share of faults(caused by bad lawyers and politicians) . Therefore I do not think we should be throwing stones at other civilized countries. I have crossed the border into Canada about 50 times from east coast to west. The only time I had a problem was with a female agent. She was one of the most beautiful looking women I have ever seen and I jokingly asked her to join me on my 3 week boat trip into northern BC. She bordered my boat and did some snooping around. She was nice enough not to tell my girlfriend about the comment I made. I have on the other hand been treated very poorly by US customs when returning home to my own country. Over my life span I have spent a couple hundred days touring Canada by land and sea and have never been treated rudely by its citizens. If you go to another country, any country, Obey their laws and customs or do not go there. Period.... This thread has surpassed its usefulness (if it ever had any) and should be locked.
AMEN!
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
If you ever do come to Canada and are in my neck of the woods I'll buy you a good CANADIAN beer.

Garry
Guess 150 km from Niagara-On-The Lake over the 4th of July week end would preclude the good CANADIAN beer offer?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #20 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

"I was trying to avoid this thread?"

All you have to do is look somewhere else, eh!
If you were able to discern the post prior to yours, you will notice it was a collage of posts by people from around the U.S. and Canada, all of whom had unpleasant experiences at the Border, and most by female agents.

I do agree however, would a moderator please lock the thread.

Regards
WB
post #21 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Guess 150 km from Niagara-On-The Lake over the 4th of July week end would preclude the good CANADIAN beer offer?
4th July weekend I'll be riding in the Canadian Rockies near Golden BC. You can come if you want, I'll buy you 2 CANADIAN beers.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #22 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
4th July weekend I'll be riding in the Canadian Rockies near Golden BC. You can come if you want, I'll buy you 2 CANADIAN beers.

Garry
Another time perhaps . . . enjoy the ride & be safe!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #23 of 25 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 6:02 pm

I just did the Pa - Alaska - Pa route, crossed into Can at rainbow bridge on the way back... because I noticed the Ontario sign behind me as I entered the US I went back into Can to get the welcome to Ontario pic, I have pics of every state and province I've ridden thru but didn't get one of Ont yet. In this trip I entered Canada 6 times, near Glacier NP, twice at Hyder Ak, Skagway Ak, Port Huron Mi, and Niagara Rainbow bridge.

My experience is I found the Can border agents to be VERY courteous, professional, and polite, to the point of thinking exactly that as I left the checkpoints. A number of these crossings were remote and uncrowded, if I asked about gas availability they gave me that info and more, including sights to see, distances, road conditions, and travel time.

The only crossing that irked me was into the US Skagway crossing. I pulled up with the bike, shut it off, and began digging my passport out of my jacket breast pocket, the female agent very abruptly said "Get off the bike!", no other words prior. I was a little shocked at the tone as it was as if I was doing something wrong. At the previous 3 Canada crossings I was not required to get off the bike.

So OK no big deal, I said nothing, she is standing to the left of the bike and of course I get off on the left side. I get off the bike and I hear a yell behind me WHOA!!! and as I turn I see a stiff outstretched arm like a block between us followed by "not so close!". Well I'm not a big person and my VTX has a very low seat so it wasn't like I was flailing across the checkpoint, I pretty much only have one way of getting off the bike and I'm not sure what she was expecting to see, maybe for me to rise straight up. Anyway that was the extent, a few questions and off I went. But it left a sour taste, the whole interaction was tense. After that I paid attention at the other crossings, 2 Can and 2 US, I heard the word "please", saw smiles, they did their job including a removal and inspection of all my bag contents, even my lowers compartments, and a LOT of questions into the US at the Peace Garden, near Rugby ND, but the mood was courteous, light, and polite. After the inspection there were no others at the crossing and we chatted about my ride for a couple minutes.

They have the power and it all depends on the agent. They are 1st impression ambassadors and I expect them to be experts with presenting a positive image, presented within a reasonable realm of situations.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #24 of 25 Old May 7th, 2012, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I hope this post saves others the disappointment and hassle we endured on this journey. I now understand why there are so many You Tube videos of out of control enforcement officers and other individuals in a position of authority, which they abuse. Thankfully some of these rotten apples then lose their jobs as a result of those postings. This was a public area, out in the open and there is no reason the ordeal should not have been documented, IMO. If they are not doing anything unlawful, there should be no issue.

I attempted to take a photo of all the luggage being taken apart, the people involved etc., and each time I was told not to move, not to get near the bike, not to touch my clothing, etc. Looking back, I would have loved to have had one of the $130 pen / video camera recording devices and would have posted this unethical and unwarranted detainment on You Tube.

They refused to provide any identification of the agents involved, no paperwork to document the charges against us in writing, nothing. No pictures, no documentation and unfortunately we had never expected anything like this or I would have had my voice recorder running the entire time.

Amazingly, they had to ask what our flashlights even were! Now how experienced an Customs Agent does it take to identify a simple flashlight?

They could not determine what it was or how to turn it on, due to the end cap having been turned off so the light would not be activated by accident during the journey, which could have resulted in a fire.

This 180 lumens Fenix light gets extremely hot if left unattended, and having had this happen to me when I first bought one in the past, it was a necessary precaution and I do not ride at night with at least two of these lights in case of any emergency.

Now that I have just awakened after a brief six hours of much needed sleep and awakened from back pain which I can not take any more pain meds for at this point, I will be up most of the night and attempting to
forward this message to a few friends, my AAA agent and another MC forum.

Good luck to anyone that visits the area. Had we been forewarned anything of this nature would have been anticipated, we would just have stayed on the U.S. side of the Falls, and would have saved us three hours of hell during a point in time which I was most exhausted and vulnerable.

I had attained my goal of a six+ hour drive to our intended destination, only to be turned back by some way "to big an ego driven idiot", working in a position of authority she was obviously not suited to handle and was extremely abusive and out of control. We did absolutely nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

The main reason we attempted to stay in Canada was the cost of the rooms in a much more comfortable hotel were significantly less expensive than anywhere nearby in the U.S., at or near Niagra Falls.

Had it not been for the $40 Guardian pepper spray, we most likely would have enjoyed the two days and had another great memory of what could have been a fantastic journey on the new to us Gold Wing. But, being the honest person I am, I told the truth, never expecting to be treated like a criminal and verbally abused by a very young woman that I would suggest is in need of an attitude adjustment and a different line of work.

It rained most of the way home today. Not one glitch in the bike which ran phenomenally. For those of you with transmission issues or concerns, I highly suggest you do not allow your Honda dealer to dissuade you from having the transmission fixed under warranty, if you feel there is a problem with it. This bike runs so fantastic, it is hard to believe it is even the same bike. This shifts as smoother than I ever imagined, due to all the posts on the "clunky transmissions are just built that way", and or you don't know how to shift explanation from my local dealer, this was a real pleasure to drive and THE best two up touring bike I have ever had the pleasure to take on a trip like this.

I also found the Walmart plastic doughnut hole shaped air bladder in the pharmaceutical department a wonderful addition to the comfort seat. I used that for all but two hours of the trip, then put that inside my companions Walmart comfort cushion. I will say it was an extremely painful two hour completion of my ride without that air bladder.

I did use the suggested wheel barrel inner tube last year and that is not nearly as comfortable as this $8 item is from Walmart. We drove 734 miles in 32 hrs, which for me was a massive undertaking with only ten hours sleep in three days, until my much needed sleep when I returned home. I am both terribly exhausted and extremely disappointed with the experience, which was totally unnecessary and uncalled for, IMO.

A very obvious and distinct total contrast in policy compared to what is going on with the U.S. border and Mexico!

Hard to believe, but the most enjoyable moment of interaction was with this ground hog in the album, which we saw while trying to resolve our hotel reservations at a McDonald's in Marietta, Rochester, N.Y.

Thanks to all the great folks on this forum that have provided much needed suggestions on what to look for as potential issues with the Wing, as many items were fixed under warranty I would never have thought to even consider, as we spared no expense to make sure this bike would be as dependable as humanly possible for a safe adventure, as our lives depended on it.

A bit disappointing by nonetheless necessary was the use of the updated OEM Honda GPS. The latest $200 mapping card was dated 2009 and installed during the transmission rebuild in the winter of 2010. It failed to provide routing anywhere close to the recommendation provided for this trip by AAA. However, my companion can not see the print wearing the helmet and there is no way I could have read the much to small a font, with four pages of complex directions which were provided for us. This would have been difficult to understand driving a car, let alone attempting to do this on a motorcycle.

While the directions provided by the GPS were not perfect, they did get us to where we wanted to be, however it would have been nice to take the scenic route on the way home.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how best deal with the Canadian Customs office to file a formal complaint, I would appreciate that being directed to my personal e-mail address please. You can reach me at [email protected].

I do not authorize ANY portion of the use of this thread without my express written consent!

All Rights Explicitly Reserved, With Prejudice
Wayne Brunner
Lehighton, Pa

We always cross at Calais Maine and take a BMW back to Canada every Spring. I like to do my brokerage work. They have a new multi-million building and 18 year old dos software...impossible to use. I asked an agent for assistance and was informed I should have used a broker. Subsequently, I wrote a letter to my MP and Dept. of Transportation and Security. If anyone checks their website, they also have posted two brokers to use for that area. Didn't realize that the federal government could endorse any private enterprise or other on their website. Get in touch with your Member of Parliament and write a letter of complaint......I advised everyone there at the time, while agents were in earshot what they could do. To make matters worse, they have two computers and last year one was down. Still didn't get any help. PROTEST!!!
post #25 of 25 Old May 7th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Another extremely painful to read post brought back from A VERY LONG OVER DUE DEATH.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in