Spur of the Moment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 13th, 2011, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Spur of the Moment

Nothing too dramatic here but yesterday in Vermont was just about perfect - clear skies, low 70s. At about 2:30 PM, I was just about to take a break at work and do a little more planning of my June western ride, when I got a text from a neighbor, Peter Moses, advising me that he was firing up the Streetfighter at 3:00 and heading out for a ride with two other neighbors.

In about a nanosecond I was out of the office and on the RT.

We met at 3:00 and proceeded on back roads down to Bristol, VT for the start of a nice run over the Appalachian Gap one of the area's best twistie runs - dramatic mountain curves although still showing the effects of the winter's frost heaves . It's still "early Spring" in northern VT so the forests were that wonderful soft light green and the streams and waterfalls are all gushing. We blasted up over the Gap, down into Waitsfield, then headed south on Route 100 through Granville Gulf to Rochester, then over Brandon Gap, with its fabulous high speed sweepers on smooth nearly new pavement (which is a big deal in VT). We stopped for a cold drink in Brandon in the sun on the patio of Cafe Provence. Then the perfect run for home - Route 73 east, through more fantastic sweepers, a few hairpins -- a spirited run along Otter Creek then up and over the hills. At Route 30 we headed north to the nice surprise that the repaving had been done all the way to Middlebury, A fairly straight run but with dramatic views in every direction - late afternoon sun with the Green Mts to the east - Adirondacks to the west -

A final exclamation point to the afternoon was a few more miles of "best around" sweepers on little used Rt 23 - Weybridge - through some of the most beautiful land in the world.

7:30 - we say good-bye at the foot of my driveway and home for dinner - wife smiling almost as much as I was - all in all a very nice afternoon.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Re: Spur of the Moment

You just made me really, REALLY jealous!!!!!! I have spent much time in that area and the ride you did passes through some of my favorite places and roads. My friends parents were retired in Waitsfield and lived in the Sugarbush North ski area. He rode with the BMWROV group out of Essex Junction. I did several rides with that group. Too bad he is now living in SC. I really miss those rides.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 3 Old May 14th, 2011, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Re: Spur of the Moment

Ray,

It really is a bit of biker heaven up here.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in