Deals Gap Ride Report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Deals Gap Ride Report

Long time RT owner, this year I picked up a 2009 LT with 2900 miles loaded. So my wife and I packed it and headed to Deals Gap and just got back today. 7 days, 6 nights 2045 miles covered 9 states. Going was NY, PA, MD, WV, VA & TN. Coming home TN, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, PA & NY. Time on the motorcycle was about 36 hours, $175 in fuel cost. Cheapest gas was in SC $3.89, most expensive $4.29 in WV (all premium gas). Lowest tempreture riding 37F, highest 82F. There were 2 days, one going and one coming both in PA, low temps and rain really were a surprise and Olympia riding suits provided wind and water protection but without insulation we were caught off guard.he heated seats and grips took the edge off but still a tough 100 miles. In motel parking lot we could see our breath.

Deals Gap is a neat road and fun ride, but riding that road you pretty much have to focus on just riding, setting up for every turn and watching for overtaking and oncoming traffic, its worth it.

The LT ran non stop and never hiccupped once. Longest leg was 196 miles that I never touched the brakes or put my feet down. No oil consumption at all, coolant level never went down. The only problems were one of the screws that hold the windscreen to the travel arm backed all the way out, luckily the chrome cover held it but the wind screen was rattling. Had to stop and get an allen wrench to tighten, I checked them all and they all needed a quarter turn. On a mountain road in TN, I hit a bump and the left mirror fell off, the check cord caught it.

My wife said the passenger seat and backrest was pretty good, she said she sits a little closer to me compared to the RT. I think a Russell Day Long Saddle will be ordered at the end of the season. Kathy's bag liners worked well in and out of motels. I use the right saddle bag for tools, spare parts and a few extras, Left bag is my stuff, Top case is wifes. I would also plan to get Kathy's bag that attaches to the luggage rack soon.

Can't think of other information right now.

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Deals Gap Ride Report

If you get back down this way, Waya Rd (from the Nathanhala gorge to Franklin) is more fun than the Dragon and 28 from Franklin back up to 19/74 is a hoot as well.

Sounds like you are enjoying the LT. We gather in the Smokies twice a year (April and Oct)and we have two regulars from NY that come down for it.

You don't pick your feet do you? (Now I am givng away my age {Popeye Doyle})

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

I know the moive man Thanks

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein

post #4 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Garage

Been there done that
That was my first time there . .Dragon and my bike made her maiden voyage to Charlotte, NC and back 5 days and almost the same milage. I enjoyed the Dragon fine but the evening before leaving Cherokee and going to the hotel in Murphy on route 19/US74 was the icing before the cake. I rode along a stretch of river that had too many curves and turns to count. Plus you really had to keep your focus on the road and miss much of what was going on in the river (rafting, fishing and white caps) all the while facing truck traffic breezing by in the opposite direction. Whole trip was great. IL, IN, KY, TN, NC. I say LT rules.
ride safe
post #5 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm headed that way the week of the 17th. It'll be my first time and am so looking forward to it.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #6 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Wayah Rd is definitely a great ride. As good as the dragon with virtually NO TRAFFIC. We ride it every time we're in the area. Just be sure to watch out for the loose gravel in nearly every turn up and down the mountain.

2009 R1200RT
post #7 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon

My wife said the passenger seat and backrest was pretty good, she said she sits a little closer to me compared to the RT.
Is your topcase in the rearmost position? You can tell by looking at where the topcase lines up with the sidecases in the rear. If they are flush, you can move the topcase back an inch or so.....makes a big difference. Also, get your wife some armrests. She will love them. Do a search on this forum......I have/like the Eagle One's from Don Muddiman.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Last edited by kk610lt; May 5th, 2011 at 9:00 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Is your topcase in the rearmost position? You can tell by looking at where the topcase lines up with the sidecases in the rear. If they are flush, you can move the topcase back an inch or so.....makes a big difference. Also, get your wife some armrests. She will love them. Do a search on this forum......I have/like the Eagle One's from Don Muddiman.

I moved my topcase all the way back and it made a big difference.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #9 of 10 Old May 5th, 2011, 9:35 pm

When the SE group was in the area mid-April, I rode US19/74 through the Nantahala Gorge on the way to visit my son and grandson in Andrews before heading home on Sunday. That is my favorite road and there are a lot of good ones up there. Some get so far off the beaten path, sunlight has to be piped in. Nantahala means Land of the Noonday Sun. The name fits.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 10 Old May 6th, 2011, 10:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
...one of the screws that hold the windscreen to the travel arm backed all the way out, luckily the chrome cover held it but the wind screen was rattling. Had to stop and get an allen wrench to tighten, I checked them all and they all needed a quarter turn.
Man that thing is falling apart. Better trade it!

Just joking.

Your report sound like my trips on Traveller. Excellent ride there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in