USA Road Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 2:54 am Thread Starter

Garage
USA Road Trip

Guys I have had a US road trip on my bucket list for a long time and our dollar is very strong at the moment making it very tempting to do sooner rather than later.
I have no firm must do's but the west coast is easier for me to get to, Im not keen on miles and miles of straigh flat top, I want canyons and curves as much as possible but I realise that its a very diverse country.
I would love some guidance to help me start to put a plan together and I will share with you a few ideas that I have put together so far.
Im not bound by it but Im thinking of taking a month.
Start and finish in San Francisco.
Buy a used bike and sell it back to the dealer when Im done.
San Fran - Las Vegas via Bakersfield (Bypass LA.)
Las Vegas - Denver via Utah.
Denver - Montana via Wyoming
Montana - Calgary Canada
Calgary - Vancouver
Vancouver - Seattle
Seattle - San Fran.
Im thinking July - August and Im also thinking B&B's, Motels/Hotels but Im also open to suggestions.
I dont really want to carry camping gear if I dont have to.
Its just a straw man and may end up looking nothing like this but every time I look at the atlas the job seems so big I have got to just start somewhere.
Your suggestions will be appreciated as will any pitfalls in my current thinking.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by dadicool59; Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 5:04 am

Re: USA Road Trip

Dadi,

If by "July-August" you mean you have about 6-8 weeks I think you could do more than the west.

Here are some ideas for further research:

I would start in the East, maybe fly to New York or Boston, pick up a used bike (try Max BMW, with three dealerships in general area or Ebay - dealer probably less risky but who knows?)

Definitely come to Vermont New Hampshire, Adirondacks (NY) -lots of twisties.

You can work your way west either on a southerly route ( Pennsylvania, Virginia West Virginia southern Ohio etc, or, I recommend you go into Canada and work your way north of lake Superior, across northern Minnesota

Bite the bullet with some straight stuff as you cross the Dakotas, to the Black Hills

Bear Tooth Highway/Chief Joseph Trail east of Yellowstone NP. Yellowstone will be crowded but probably worth it; jJackson hole ; cruise around western Colorado - Aspen, Independence Pass and many others - stay north because it will be hot in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada (well, do Las Vegas if you must)

Head to Idaho - Rt 75, 93 up through Ketchum to Missoula Montana -

Ride through Glacier park, maybe through the Kootenay area in British Columbia, Route 20 through North Cascades NP in northern Washington; Down the whole Pacific Coast - Wine country , etc etc etc etc.

Agree on motels - if you bring as lap top. IPad, you can search out many good B bed & breakfasts too - Chain motels can be reliable.

I am pumped just writing this - I am spending June out west on my second western ride - mostly in Idaho, Utah, Colorado.

Have fun.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 5:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks RB.
Although its not a hard boundary I probably need to try and keep it to a month otherwise there is much of the west coast that I would want to visit including Chicago and NY.
Who knows, if I get the bug I might not want to come back!
Nah.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 10:18 am

Keep in mind that July/August will be brutally hot in the western and southern states,
A lot of European tourist fly into the west coast and rent Harley's or motor homes, then tour the western states,

I would recommend you pick up a "national parks passport" ($5) and an annual national parks pass ($60) and try to see as many of our national treasures as possible, with admission to each park around $10-15 the pass will pay for itself real quick (Utah for instance has ten NP)

motels are plentiful I've toured all over the country for years and never made a reservation and rarely had a problem getting a room after learning a few tricks like stopping earlier on Friday Saturday,

For Twisties and awesome riding it's hard to beat northern California/ southern Oregon,

I've never been to Australia so I don't know what you're "used to" but Utah is like riding on another planet,

I would recommend a loop through northern New Mexico/Arizona, southern Utah and Colorado as a must see,

with 6-8 weeks you'd have enough time to make it to the East coast if you wanted to and as suggested Vermont/New Hampshire are gorgeous and so is northern Wisconsin and Michigan,

however the Dakotas, Minnesota or further south the midwestern states like Missouri, Illinois are flat, hot, straight and bo-o-o-ring, eatern states like Massachusets, NY have the worst roads, traffic and drivers.

I can't imagine why "anybody" would want to go to Chicago or NY,
personally I would ride many hours out of the way to avoid anyplace like that.

My wife and I did a trip back in 2006 that I wrote about here,
with a lot of pictures to give you some ideas.

So now that we've helped you get "some direction"
your way to "repay" us is by writing about your trip and sharing some of your adventures (with pictures)
with us in the ride tales forum, is that a deal?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Apr 24th, 2011 at 10:24 am.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 10:24 am

Dadicool, I have lived in the East,Southwest, and West coast. From a motorcycle stand point, Everything you could want lies in the western third of the USA. The central states are flat and hot in the summer. The east coast is crowded and humid. Not to mention high taxes in the form of traffic tickets.Since you are going in the summer I would avoid the desert areas of Scal,NM, and AZ.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I have posted on another site also and the theme is pretty common regarding the heat and the east vs west.
I live in the sub tropics so Im not unacustomed to heat but 110+ for long days isnt pleasant and is very fatiguing.
The July/August time was aimed at the warmest months to better suit my constitution for the Canada part of the trip. I have an allergy to sleet and ice.
I am getting the message pretty loud and clear regarding the desert areas and I really have no interest in that type of topography, we have a big chunk of the country full of that here.
I am also hearing the noise about the Winnebago crowd. There is nothing that will [email protected]#k up a great stretch of twisties like grey nomads so maybe I need to pull back a month or so or even later into early fall?
Unfortunately I am hearing what has probably prevented me from doing a trip like this up to now and that is whenever I sit down with the google page open and an atlas in front of me Im like a kid in a candy store and I just want it all and it just becomes too big.
For the USA/Canada trip that I would like to do I need 3 months to do it any sort of justice.
Keep the info coming guys, it is shaping my thinking and between this site and the other one I have got a much better idea of do's and dont's in a couple of days.
At this stage you guys in the west are luring me but not away from the east, just for a longer trip.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Thumbs up Re: USA Road Trip

You may want to attend CCR as part of your trip. This year it is in Bosie, ID. See the CCR forum.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 8:29 am

You might be able to work out a bike swap with someone in the USA. I swapped bikes with a member from England. We toured 4 weeks in Europe on his in 2007. He and his wife toured California in 2008 on mine. A lot of detail to sort through before, but it worked out quite well.

I love to visit Australia and would offer a swap, but I just shipped my '99LT to Heidelberg to do several annual tours. The first one starts this week. If this one works out, we'll go back the next 3 or 4 years. I plan to post some details in this forum before we leave.

In any case, if you can include San Diego in your itinerary, we'd be happy to put you up for a night or 2 if we are in town. Lot's to see and do in California. We might even consider a rental of our '08LT. PM me if you are interested.

Richard

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in