Riding to San Diego - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Riding to San Diego

It is not definate yet, but it looks like I will be going to San Diego for a week around the end of May, beginning of June for work. I just went last week, but looks like I will need to go back. I told the boss the next trip out I would be riding the bike out there. I have to take vacation time to ride out and back, but hey, this will be my vacation.

I want to take Rt 50 all the way across. I am thinking I can make it out there in 7 days, do my work and slab it home in 4 or 5.

I'm really looking forward to it, and have been in the "pre-planning" stage, trying to figure out all my stops.

Anyone familiar with 50 and "must see" places, or places to avoid?

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Riding to San Diego

When you get to Austin, NV take the 722. It goes on the south side of that set of mountains and is a much better ride for scenery. It cuts right back into 50.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 6:18 pm

roadrunner magazine is doing a west to east write up on rt50. they are spreading it out over 3 issues starting w'thier january issue. they usually have good detail. think you can read it on line.
john

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It sound like a good time to do a CC50 Iron Butt ride back. San Diego Ca. to Jacksonville Fl. in 50 hours. It's about 2,500 miles. I'll be going through a RT bike in a few weeks for a rider that is going to do the ride from Jacksonville to San Diego in May.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
It sound like a good time to do a CC50 Iron Butt ride back. San Diego Ca. to Jacksonville Fl. in 50 hours. It's about 2,500 miles. I'll be going through a RT bike in a few weeks for a rider that is going to do the ride from Jacksonville to San Diego in May.

That is quite doable. Of course now you have me thinking, I could not take route 50, and maybe do the four corners......

decisions decicions

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #6 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:12 am

Tony,

The dreaming part is pretty good...all those choices...to say I envy you is an understatement. Have a blast for all of us poor slobs who are locked away in the office...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 7:17 am

Sounds like a good plan. I am piecing my Route 50 ride together by riding new (to me) sections as I am able. I have already been on it from Ocean City to D.C. and from Winchester, VA. to Albany, Ohio. We also rode a section of 50 in Indiana.

Going over the Appalachian Mountains on 50 was a fun ride. It is a twisty two lane road there. Once out of the mountains, it becomes a four lane interstate-like highway going west then returns back to a two lane.

You say that you are planning your stops. Why not just take it as it comes stopping where you like or end up each day if you can?

I look forward to riding it out in the west one of these days.....enjoy your trip.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:49 pm

FWIW, I rode a truck back from that area to SC, a distance of about 2300 miles. It took me four days of all day driving. I would start 7-8 and run till about the same time at night. Only stopped for breakfast and gas. I had considered riding my bike out to pick up the truck but am glad I didn't. Not sure I would want to do what you're thinking after my trip.

Good luck!
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

As of right now, I have to be in San Diego on June 13th. My plan is to leave on the 5th and take 8 days to get there. I have the route all planned out on Rt 50. I have my stops planned due to me being frugal (read "a cheap bastard") I will be out there for the week, then head back home. I really like Dave's idea of the 50cc, so am now in the planning stages of that ride. Once in Jacksonville, it is just a quick 1300 miles north to home. All totaled, I am looking at just over 8000 miles.

I will put new rubber on the bike before I leave and change the oil (I just did the 36K). I run mobile one, so won't worry too much about being a couple thousand past due for the oil change when I get home.

The only problem now is waiting the five weeks till I leave!!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #10 of 16 Old May 29th, 2011, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Plans are firm now. I will be leaving on June 5th, and take 8 days to get to San Diego via route 50. I have a busy week this week getting ready both for work and for the ride.

I put new rubber on the bike, and will change the oil just before I leave.

For those that live/work around our nations capitol, I have a few questions.

How bad will the traffic be getting into and around DC on a Monday morning? Rt. 50 runs right through downtown.

How early would I have to get there to miss most of it?

Or would it be better to get there say around 9 or 10 am?

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #11 of 16 Old May 29th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Garage

I too am making a run to San Diego.
Only it comes at the end of my route 66 trip and further down in the month. So I will be watching your posts.
ride safe
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 4th, 2011, 5:52 am

Tony,

Its almost time for you to roll west have a safe journey and a MUCH fun!
San Diego my ole home town, check out all the Strand local beaches...

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 4th, 2011, 6:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBMW
Tony,

Its almost time for you to roll west have a safe journey and a MUCH fun!
San Diego my ole home town, check out all the Strand local beaches...

thanks Arthur, I plan on having MUCH fun!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #14 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

The ride is going well. Have riden over 3000 miles in the past 5 days. Tonight I am in Delta, Utah. I plan on being in Sacramento tonmorrow night, then spend two days riding the Pacific Coast HIghway to San Diego.

I will post a full write up after I get home, but here are few details:

Rt 50 in West Virginia is a well kept secret, Just a fantastric ride.

Indiana does have twisties!!!

Crazy heat for a couple days, I don't know how you southern boys ride in that all time. 600 miles in 100 degree heat damn near did me in.

When the heat died down finally in Kansas, the winds picked up, rode for hours leaning, first one direction, then the next.

Colorado of course gorgeous, and Utah was a very pleasent surprise as it is quite scenic.

Taking me a bit to get used to not making the mles in a day I normally do due to the slower speeds, but my gas milage is better.

Haven't taken many pictures, I'll post some of the ones I did take when I post the write up.

Having fun, and still have three more days till I get to San Diego.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #15 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Made it home last night. I decided against the 50CC as the southern route was going to have record heat, and I just didn't want to deal with that kind of heat. I took a northern route from San Diego. I headed up 15 through Las Vegas to I70 to Denver. The Mojave desert from California to Vegas hit 104 degrees, the only real heat I had to go through, and I am glad I took the northern route! The rest of the trip was 70's and 80's.

I wound up riding 3200 miles in 75 hours, leaving San Diego friday afternoon and arriving in New Hampshire Monday night.

The bike ran great, no problems. I do have to chisel off the 3,738,954 bugs now. I put brand new tires on the bike before I left, the front still looks practically new, the rear has a couple thousand left to it, but sure is flat in the middle!

No pictures of the ride home as it was at an iron butt pace, ride - gas- ride - gas etc.

Total miles for the trip was 7516 with a total of 11 days of riding. I don't know how it happened, but 11 days total in the saddle, and I hit no rain!!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #16 of 16 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 6:55 am

Tony,

Glad that you had a safe and enjoyable trip, but no pics? Hook us unfortunate riders up
Arthur J.

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in