Southern Florida ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Southern Florida ride

I just got back from a trip down to Bonita Springs to see my black beauty! (a 2009 LT in my dad's garage) I really miss her!! Rode almost 1000 miles in 5 days and had a great time. I went to the seafood fest in Everglade city, then rode over to Miami for dinner in the same day. I rode all the way up to the green swamp area and around it, this is up east of Tampa. That day I did 425 miles on the back roads. Back down to Everglade city and over to Marco on a different day. I went out to Immokalee, Ava Maria and back a couple of times. Up to Ft. Meyers a couple of times. I thought of doing a trip to Key West and back in the same day but decided against it.

I'll be headed back down with the family for spring break at the end of March. Can't wait!!!

It sure would be great to be able to ride all year round!!!

I guess this is the next best thing.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm

Re: Southern Florida ride

Hey David,

Sounds like you got around pretty well in south Florida. I've never been further south then Tampa. Of course Key West is still on my bucket list.

I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. Have you been there? How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 6:22 pm

Hi Dave, sounds like you were in my back yard! This Saturday there is the Swamp Cabbage festival in LaBelle, we enjoy the Armadilo races. http://swampcabbagefestival.org/
Enjoy your time in our GREAT state!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. Have you been there? How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?

That is a tough call!! I've seen snow and freezing rain in the middle of May. But typically once May sets in the freezing conditions are minimal. Feel free to inquire with me regarding the conditions up here anytime.

I rode up to Mac city several times last year but have never made it over the bridge with the bike.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Hi Dave, sounds like you were in my back yard! This Saturday there is the Swamp Cabbage festival in LaBelle, we enjoy the Armadilo races. http://swampcabbagefestival.org/
Enjoy your time in our GREAT state!

Yep, I was right in your area. Will be back down the end of March. I can't wait!! I'ts a nice ride down to Everglade City, less traffic down that way.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #6 of 7 Old Feb 24th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
I'm planning a trip up to Maine and then over to the Mackinac Bridge later this spring. ...... How early could I make that trip and avoid freezing weather?
Greg
Greg, The month of May has the occasional night time frost but it burns off early when the sun comes up.

Fog is more common around the lakes on the cool days.

Memorial Day really kicks off the summer activities, boating, biking, fishing, etc..

The entire month of May offers plenty of nice days but personally I would opt for June in the U.P.

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlevoix
The entire month of May offers plenty of nice days but personally I would opt for June in the U.P.

Bob
Thanks for the tip Bob,

I've seen a forecast that says the Northeast will experience colder then normal temps this spring. So I'll have to wait until early summer before taking this ride. But I still want to get out of Dodge, NOW. So maybe New Orleans, Austin and on to the Grand Canyon might be the better plan.

Also, I'm wondering if this is the time to try camping. I like the idea of saving money but not crazy about laying around where ants and other critters can get me.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in