Vacation Photos - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 8:42 am Thread Starter
jsr

Vacation Photos

For those interested, have been posting pictures from vacations at the following web site:

http://myweb.cableone.net/jsrye

Still finishing up 2010 but many are up already.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Re: Vacation Photos

Lots of pictures. Lots of good pictures. Most of those spots are still on my wish list. I knock a little off every year.
post #3 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 8:57 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Thank's for the posts Jeff. I have enjoyed looking at all of them since I found this site.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 8:13 pm

You can keep me on that list of "those interested" Jeff

I've been enjoying your pictures since our brief encounter at the fuel stop in Colorado several years ago.

Are you still traveling with the dog?
How many miles has he got on him now?
What's the mileage on the LT?

Great pics

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 26 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 7:00 am Thread Starter
jsr

Hans,

Unfortunately we laid the dog to rest almost 3 years ago, but she had enjoyed over 200,000 miles of riding all total.

As respects the bike mileage it is currently in the shop with 242,905 miles.

Was trying to remember, was it Idaho Springs, CO that we saw each other when you were bring your replacement bike home.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #6 of 26 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
was it Idaho Springs, CO that we saw each other when you were bring your replacement bike home.
Sorry to hear about the dog, but what a life she lived!

I really don't remember where it was we met, I was lost but I like that.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 26 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 9:38 am Thread Starter
jsr

Hans,

Remember, your not lost unless you have someplace to be, otherwise your touring.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #8 of 26 Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 4:35 pm

.. awesome Pix ..... I took the same route 2 years ago
post #9 of 26 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Great photos! All places I'd love to see on my bike! Thanks for the preview.

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:07 am

Bloody Nora, my heart has just jumped out of my mouth looking at those pix and is now hanging by a aorta.
Need a cuppa now.
post #11 of 26 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Outstanding! I can't wait for your 2011 vacation.

2006 Triumph Scrambler
2006 K1200LT
post #12 of 26 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Not much to do on this snowy night but look at your pictures...great pics of Crater lake. What time of year did you go?

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #13 of 26 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 11:20 pm

How long (days & miles) was the ride? Judging by the amount of pics you posted, it looks like you took your time and enjoyed the tour!
I'm creating my "bucket list" of rides and yours has quite a bit of great scenery I'd like to see first hand!
Thanks for posting the pics! Looks like you had perfect weather for the trip judging by the colors of your pics! Bryce Canyon looks like a place I'd like to visit!
Take care and continue to ride safely!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #14 of 26 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 2:40 am

Great pics Jeff. Sheesh! You even had a dog that has more miles on a motorcycle than me!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 26 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 8:45 am Thread Starter
jsr

Been away for a bit but to answer a few of the questions:

Time of year we generally do vacation? Try to leave the weekend before the summer solstice which is June 21 (do this to have the longest daylight riding days)

Most of these vacations have been 2 week trips which includes three weekends. Leave after work on a Friday and return normally three Saturdays later. Give us Sunday to get ready to go back to work.

Normally trips come in at between 7000 and 8000 miles. I reset the average speed prior to departure and reset one trip meter prior to leaving as well. When I have done the math at the end of a trip it generally comes out that we are riding about 10 hours a day. Mileage per day varies greatly as it depends on the types of roads. We normally try to be up at sunrise and have it shut down prior to sunset.

Hopefully this answers the questions.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #16 of 26 Old Mar 13th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Garage

I am not an English teacher but the ride/pictures are amazing, incredible, adventurous, and breath-taking. That is true touring. I am retired so time in no barrier. 2 questions are any of those rides solo and photography is my hobby so is that a 35mm with multiple lenses. Oh yes, one more question I did not see a trailer so how did you manage with the camping gear. My wife does not want to ride that far. Safe riding.
Bill Smith (just moved over to new k1200LT)
post #17 of 26 Old Mar 14th, 2011, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
jsr

To reply,

All vacations have been done 2 up, camping gear includes tent, sleeping bags (no cooking equipment or food), we use thermal rain gear as vapor barrier and sleeping pad. No trailer, if it doesn't fit it doesn't go.

Camera is a Nikon D200 with I believe it is a 24-120mm F4 lens. At times have also carried the 32mm.

Hope this answers questions.

Just got the bike back from shop last weekend and can hardly wait for this snow and ice to be gone.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #18 of 26 Old Mar 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Garage

Thanks for the quick response Jeff. Yes you answered all my questions. Especially the photo concern since your pictures were professional looking I thought maybe a special camera. I use 35mm all the time from a canon to olympus - from film to digital but still 35mm. I hope you dont mind me borrowing that thought "if it does not fit don't take with" I like that very much.
My goldwing had much more room in the side cases than this LT but I am happy.
post #19 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 7:20 am

Jeff,

I'd like to do some camping while touring, but I really don't know where to start. How do you find camp sites? Are you preplanning your stops or finding the nearest sites at the end of the day?

Any advice along these lines would really be appreciated. I've been talking to the folks at REI and they have a program to rent gear so I can get just the right configuration.

BTW - your pics are phenomenal. I've been looking at your site on my wife's Nook and it is just great.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #20 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:14 am Thread Starter
jsr

Greg,

We do 0 preplanning other than to have every state map for the areas we might be, for example last year every state west of the mississippi. If we happen to see something on the map, state park, national park or other indicated camping area near the end of the day we will head for it. If nothing shows up will check GPS and ask at a local gas station, convenience store or whatever we find. We generally try to do this about 1-2 hours prior to sunset. If we do not come up with anything or do not like what we see, then starts the motel hunt which is quite easy with GPS.

Most of our trips have been 2/3 tent and 1/3 motel. Sometimes it is time for a motel if there has been extreme heat, cold, rain or just exhausted (not as young as I once was).

Hope this helps, wish the snow and ice was gone so I could start executing more of my touring ideas.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #21 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Garage

Hey Jeff,
Even though we had 70 degree day this past week I did not pull the bike out. I try to get a weather outlook for a week to 10 days before getting in the saddle for the season. I am riding route 66 this spring. I showed your 2010 pictures to my wife she was impressed but I still can't sway her to go that distance. But I have another question about your blue tent how small a package is it when folded and the poles. Who is it by. I have been to Cabelos and sports authority and can't figure what is best in size and set-up and oh yes price.
I hope you get your riding weather real soon. Ride safe.
post #22 of 26 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
jsr

Tent takes about 1/2 to 2/3 of the right saddlebag when rolled up with the fly. Poles go in the trunk and when bundled together are about the diameter of a coffee cup and go from left front corner of trunk to right rear corner. Tent is a Mountain Hardwear Trango 4. I believe that I got it through REI.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #23 of 26 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 9:29 pm

Garage

OK thanks, that info was right on point. I am going to check on line for that tent. I kept thinking that brown bag on the trunk rack housed the camp gear. Now the weather is the sand in my hour glass and I will be ready. You have been very helpful.
ride safe
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 8:31 am Thread Starter
jsr

Bill,

The bag on top of the trunk is 2 down sleeping bags.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:27 am

Garage

Jeff,
Got that. I checked out the Trango 4 at REI definitely to big. The T-2 will have to do. Even though my wife is against going on the long haul I think sleep for two could not be a bad idea. I got a MOLLE 2 back pack with dual compartments.I have already put a full sized sleeping bag in the bottom. And when I ride alone that bundle will be my back seat companion to lean on and I haven't even put my clothes in the top as yet. It is not heavy and I walk around with it on to get used to it. I will be looking at the big 60 pretty soon AGE
ride safe
post #26 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Garage

Hey Jeff,
These 30's in the windy city are prolonging my anticipated trip west. So in the mean time I thought I would steal into your picture library. This time it was 2006 trip MT., ID., looks like WA., OR., CA., AZ., UT. in that order. I am not asking you to reminisce but I envy your adventure. I know a few of the well known national monuments but you always seem to find those off the chart out of sight ones and they are gorgeous not to mention pristine. I wish I had discovered this lets say 5 or 10 years earlier. I would have been younger, no did not have my LT as yet '85 Goldwing and still tied down with a job but travel and gas were more affordable and my hunger for adventure still here but even greater. Oh yes and I now deal with digital photos rather than film.
Hope you don't mind me going through your old vacations. I realize how vast a country we call home. Initially I was going to drive every single state when I first got my driver's license well perhaps not Hawaii. After I got my first bike '79 Kawasaki that changed to covering the map on 2 wheels. To date my scorecard reads auto 38 vs 2 wheels up just 7. I want to build on that.
So Datil NM, Crater lake, and Vermillion Cliffs AZ here I come
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in