Texas Hill Country Ride - Thanks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Texas Hill Country Ride - Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you in the Texas Hill Country region who gave me ideas for area rides. My 5 amigos and I try and get together somewhere each year to rent and ride. Last year was Yosemite, and this year we wanted to check out Texas HIll Country. We weren't dissappointed. We had a blast.

With no BMW rentals available, we rented HDs at Caliente HD in San Antonio. The dealership couldn't have been more helpful to us. We each had a brand new 2009 machine. Mine was the Ultra Classic. While it was a nice ride, it just isn't an LT and I'm not yet ready to make the switch. But I do have a new respect for HD and their technology has come a long way.

We began the journey mid week (Wed) and ended on Saturday. Midweek is the only way to go. You typically have the roads to yourself. The rides were all GPS guided and the 2730 performed flawlessly, never missing a beat.

Wed. we picked up the bikes at Caliente and headed north on some back roads, stopping for lunch in Bandera, at a great little eatery called Brick's River Cafe. After lunch, we continued north on Rte 16 through Medina and turned onto a short section of Rte. 337 towards Vanderpool. We made a little side trip up to Lost Maples State Park and intended to stop at the moto museum, just down the road. But its only open on weekends.

Back on 337, we continued north to 83 and on to Rte 41. 83 has some nice sweepers but 41 is fairly straight. Both are scenic roads. Our base of operations was the YO Ranch on Rte. 41. The YO is one of many exotic game ranches in the area, but has a bunch of comfortable cabins/rooms at reasonable rates that include all meals. Just to give you an idea of the size of this ranch, the lodge is 8 miles from the main gate on Rte. 41.

Thursday was, of course, Three Sisters Day. Rtes 335, 336, 337, some of the finest riding in the area. Nice twisties (not technically difficult but nice), roller coaster sweepers and some of the finest scenery we saw all week. We stopped for lunch at the Bent Rim Cafe, a local bike friendly eatery near Leakey (pronounce Lake e)

Friday was more of an exploration as we headed north and east from the YO finding some nice sweepers and more great scenery. We ended up in Fredericksburg for lunch and took your suggestion to eat at Kelly's Cafe on Main Street. Really good food. Our plan was to have dessert at the Fredericksburg Pie Company two doors down but....they moved to another location in town and we didn't get there. Fredericksburg is a shopping and tourist Mecca. But it is fun. We spent a couple of hours window shopping on Main Street. Back on the road, we headed south on Rte 16 to Kerrville, staying at the Inn of the Hills Resort, another biker friendly establishment. After a case of cold beer and a nice shady spot in their center courtyard, we were done for the day.

Saturday we headed back to SA to drop off the bikes. Had to be back in town by a given time since the rental tacks on $15 an hour for the first 3 late hours. After that, you pay another days rental.
We headed out of Kerrville on 16 south and encountered some of the most challenging twisties of the ride. Lots of fun. Rte 16 took us south, back through Medina, Bandera and on into SA.

Saturday night we met on the Riverwalk for Margharitas and Dos XXs.

All in all, a great ride. For the mostpart, the weather was overcast and I'll take that any day over the high heat that we encountered when the sun broke through in Kerrville. The one thing I didn't like about the HD was the heat. One of our riders was on a Vrod and his right leg was toasted. Even with the new heat management system on the Ultra, it was still hot!

So thanks again for the suggestions and if you have the chance to tour Texas Hill Country, do it. Its a great place to ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02447.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	22939   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02421.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	22940  

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:19 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Texas Hill Country Ride - Thanks

Bob glad you enjoyed your time in our lil piece of paradise. I know it's too late now but if you come back this way try THESE GUYS for BMW rentals.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 9:52 am

Great write-up. Glad you like that part of Texas. It is fun and it looks like you made all the good spots.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 9:55 am

By looking at the first picture I'm gonna guess that most of the "Amigo's" were somewhat familiar with the HD brand and that you're probably the guy in the Meshtex jacket?

We've been in the Hill country in April/May and can agree that the heat can be quite intense
even for a Florida boy.

It also sounds like you were well informed and got to experience some of the "highlights" the area has to offer, like with most things, the more you know the better it gets.

I bet you took more than just a couple of pictures and I think I can speak for many of us here,
when I say we like to see some more!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 10:19 am
Gold Supporter

Some of my most memorable rides have been with groups in the Hill Country. There are a whole lotta places to see and things to do. We go back every year and I am amazed at how it never gets boring and it always looks new. On 16 between Kerrville and Bandera is one of the nastiest curves I have ever taken and the damn thing sneaks up on me every time. They call it the Eagles Nest and a whole lotta bikes have gone down, because they don't power through the curve and end up in the oncoming lane. The rest of your trip was just a nice easy ride through the park with a whole lot of great scenery huh? You also picked a great base camp. Next time try a little spot in Leakey called the D' Rose Inn. VERY biker friendly and you start out right in the middle of the good rides.

Also, you would be amazed at what a couple of pieces of plastic can do for a H-D and the heat. Kuryakin makes heat shields that slip on quickly and redirect all that heat coming up along your legs. I have an 08 which are the hottest bikes H-D ever made and mine is no issue with the shields on her. Course you are not going to buy them to put on a rental, but if you ever come over to the dark side....

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lonewuff; May 8th, 2009 at 10:34 am.
post #6 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 10:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 to what Hans said. More pics is better! Glad you enjoyed your taste of the Texas hill country. We're a bit spoiled by living close to (some of us, in) the best twisties Texas has to offer. Please post more pics when you can.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #7 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

I did leave out a couple of other tidbits. Before heading into Fredericksburg, we made the ride up to Enchanted Rock State Park. Very picturesque. We didn't go in but stopped to grab a photo or two. We continued north past the park and headed south on 16 making the turn for the "Willow City Loop" I consider this to be one of the "must ride" roads in the area. Really nice.

One of the prettiest roads we did was 1340 from 41 to Hunt. Just a great ride with long sweepers that cross back and forth across the Guadalupe River.

Yes, that's me in the First Gear Jacket. The two chapped guys are HD riders. We also have a Yami rider. My GS buddy wasn't able to make it this year.

I'm still collecting photos so will post a few more next week.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #8 of 8 Old May 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Don't mean to "steal your thunder" but I got to looking at some of our pictures from a couple years ago just outside of Hunt and I just had to share em here, sure is pretty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0099.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	22944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0102.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	669.1 KB
ID:	22945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0142.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	661.6 KB
ID:	22946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0149.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	22947   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0152.JPG
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	22948  

Name:	DSCF0157.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	22949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0158.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	22950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0159.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	22951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0162.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	22952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0163.JPG
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	22953  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in