Blue Ridge Parkway - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Blue Ridge Parkway

Hey Guys

Wife and I are thinking and taking the new (used) 06 LT we just bought and taking a trip up to Washington, week of the 21st of October. I want to go up through the Blue Ridge Parkway. And come down superslabbing to save time.

I know a lot of you have done that ride, will it be too cold than in some of the elevations?. How long do you guys think it will take going up. 3 Days, 4?

Any input will help me decide.

Thanks a bunch.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 1:14 pm

I rode it in May so I don't know about the temps in October. The parkway gets to just over 6,000 feet up so it could be cool. Check various weather sites for towns along the way and subtract a few degrees to get a general idea...unless somebody responds with actual experience/knowledge.

In figuring drive time you need to be aware that the speed limit on the Blue Ridge is 45mph. About the same on Skyline Drive, which is the northern half of the drive. Skyline is not nearly as pretty as BRP due to downed trees from storms and winter. Also, we encountered many deer on the Skyline portion but none on the BRP. YMMV.

You might make the drive in 3 days but, depending on number of stops for sightseeing, etc, it could take you 4 or possibly 5 days. If I remember correctly it is a bit over 400 miles of twisty roads at 45mph....or more.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 8:04 pm

You should be attending the Return TO Ironhorse that week, BUT, if you must do your own thing.....

it does get pretty cool (cold) at 6000 ft in late October. We were up there last year in late October and about froze our arses off, and that was at the 5000 level!

Anyway, check the weather on the Parkway before you go.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Cool I think you'd be OK

I'm bout 40 miles from several differrent access points, I don't think it would be an issue temp wise.

Probably have less leaf-ers by that point ......

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Parkway 3rd week of October
The 2nd/3rd week of October should be just about perfect for the colors up there.
We've done the Parkway around that time 20+ years and had good weather
(maybe a little rain) most of the time,
with the exception of 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0016 (Small).JPG
Views:	431
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	13965  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 9:45 am

There are places on the Parkway where you can freeze your butt off on the 4th of July. Just prepare yourself in case with some warm gear!
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:13 am

The Blue Ridge Parkway is about 460 miles and the speed limit is 45 most of the time. The temps shouldn't be a problem depending on your limits. Depending on how many things you see along the way to stop at you can do it from one day to as many as you like. The last time I was there I took about 2 1/2 days as I camped a couple of times and stopped a fair number of times.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

Thanks again guys.

I think what I am going to do is ride it from Cherokee, through Interstate 77 On the Parkway. When it meets with 77 I will hit it, than 81 North, although its an interstate 81 is a nice road, pretty views and towns. That will make me some time. Than if we feel like after Roanoke I will get back in and hit Skiline Drive till Front Royal. That off course all depends on time.

We will see.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Hey Guys

Wife and I are thinking and taking the new (used) 06 LT we just bought and taking a trip up to Washington, week of the 21st of October. I want to go up through the Blue Ridge Parkway. And come down superslabbing to save time.

I know a lot of you have done that ride, will it be too cold than in some of the elevations?. How long do you guys think it will take going up. 3 Days, 4?

Thanks a bunch.
take a few days if you are going to do the BRP and SKyline, 4 will be nicer if you plan your stays in th elidges on the BRP

it wont; be too cold, you will want warm clothing though, the most I would be on tthe watch for is FOG plan for that adn you will be fine

we love the BRP and Skyline

Tom
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:17 am

Dont forget to enjoy the Tail of the Dragon!

Hello:
I just came back from a run from Florida up to Greenville SC then up to Asheville along the Blue Ridge Park way and then stayed in Cherokee.
Great pancakes and the Cherokee museum was interesting.

The SW side of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is home to Hwy 28 the Hell Bender, then Hwy 129 the Tail of the Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles, there is also the skyway and the foothills parkway in that area. Those were outstanding fun on my K1200LT !

I do understand that there are many places on the BRPW that are not so hyped but very beautiful but those were a real kick in the pants.

Do be careful and read up on the parkway it is not your average road.
It was built for scenery and has descending radius curves that can mess your world up. A lot of bikes get worked up there so just be careful and know before you go!

Have Fun and enjoy the adventure.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey Guys

Thanks a bunch.
Darcy, you got it figured about right.... should be the perfect time, if the weather is OK.... we'll be up at Ironhorse the weekend before, so start you trip early and come join us.

The coolest temps would be near Pisgah Inn, near the highest elevation and then again near Mt. Mitchell area near Marion....

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Tunnels that curve and are not lit several years ago

Major problem, before I added the HID were several tunnels that were not lit and several actually turned more than 90 degrees. Might be lit now. Helps to be able to lower your sunglasses quickly. Real PITA. Had a couple of very cold mornings in the higher altitudes but by mid morning it was nice. It can get cool. Great ride if you are not in a hurry. Seems that thew tunnels are close to the Smokies.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quote:
Thanks again guys.

I think what I am going to do is ride it from Cherokee, through Interstate 77 On the Parkway. When it meets with 77 I will hit it, than 81 North, although its an interstate 81 is a nice road, pretty views and towns. That will make me some time. Than if we feel like after Roanoke I will get back in and hit Skiline Drive till Front Royal. That off course all depends on time.

We will see.
If you have the time I'd go around the northern side of the Smokies to Gatlinburg and pick up 441 and do that across the Smokies (which climb to about 6000 feet if I remember correctly) into Cherokee then pick up the parkway. At its highest the Parkway gets to 6045 Ft near the NC/Va boarder and then the elevation starts to drop some to an average of around 3000 or so feet. Also a great place to stay along it is in Little Switizerland NC at Rt 221 about a half mile off the parkway at the Alpine Inn http://www.alpineinnnc.com/alpine_inn_apr_07_003.htm Great place, very MC friendly folks, fantastic views from the rear balconies and all the rooms have them. From the road it looks like its only one story, but its built on a steep hill so that the back has 4. Well worth a stay. Been there twice and always ready to go back again.

Another nice stop is Linville Falls and also Grandfather Mountain (though it costs to get in as it's privately held). Grandfather Mountain has a cool swinging bridge strung between two peaks that are a mile high, and the last part of the road leading to the top is really fun, its a switchback up a steep open hillside so you can see the whole thing from either the top or bottom and the inside corners are so sharp you can almost reach out and touch the road on the other side of the corners! Just make sure you have good brakes. I did it on my 78 R100 and by the time I got to the bottom my single disk was just about faded to nothing! Still it was fun.

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in