Caution- Stepped up enforcement on the Dragon! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Caution- Stepped up enforcement on the Dragon!

Well, it seems they are cracking down hard on agrresive driving/riding on the dragon.

The following is found on the BMWMOA website and the
www.tailofthedragon.com :

__________________________________________________ ____________

Well, the Late Great State of Tennessee has answered our open letter. Not in words but in actions. On Friday the third and Saturday the fourth of August there were some 14 Tennessee Highway Patrol vehicles and a couple of Blount County Sheriffs cars blatantly harassing both motorcycles and cars on the Dragon. They promise to be here for the next month. Talk about showing your ignorance.

These actions prove Tennessee does not welcome visitors to this area. One Trooper pulled me over for no reason. I was on my motorcycle following three cars at the posted 30 mph speed limit and the Trooper signaled me to pull over onto the gravel. He gave my bike a once over and then signaled me to pull back out. Why did he let the cars pass and then stop me?

We heard worse stories. An older female vacationer from Minnesota in an SUV was pulled over in one of the straights and ticketed for 45 in a 30. She insisted she was not going that fast. A local Blount County family was showing their friend from out of state the Dragon. He was ticketed for 40 in a 30. A Georgia rider was pulled over and threatened with arrest when the Trooper insisted that he had crossed the double yellow at 30 mph. He was then harassed for having his face shield up even though he was wearing glasses. The Trooper said the rider HAD TO PROVE they were shatter proof. We heard of a number of non-DOT helmet tickets and saw many rider helmets being inspected. Traffic crept over the Dragon at 20 mph all day. Get a life Tennessee. Many visitors who were staying in Tennessee told us they would not return or spend any money in that state.

While these 14 Troopers were here:
  • Friday 11 am, Meigs TN, 45 miles from the Dragon - Two pick-ups collide, one driver dead
  • Saturday Morning, Bledsoe TN, 65 miles west of the Dragon Ė A motorcyclist was killed in a one vehicle accident.
Bottom line Ö.. Tennessee doesnít want your tourism dollar. Answer Ö.. bring it to North Carolina. We have many roads that rival the Dragon. US 129 all the way through Robbinsville to US 19/74 has some great sections. The Hellbender NC28 is a real challenge. Continue to the east of US 19/74 on NC28 and get a real thrill. And all of these roads have a 55 mph speed limit, not a ridiculous 30 mph like the Dragon.

Run the Cherohala Skyway. The speed limit is 45 in North Carolina, but thatís fast enough to get a thrill. In Tennessee the limit drops to 40 mph even though the road is easier. Ride the NC side.

Youíll have to obey the law in North Carolina, but there wonít be a storm trooper at every turn.

Now tell the Governor of Tennessee, other state officials, and Blount County Commissioners what you think. Letís be LOUD & PROUD.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
The following Google video highlights stepped up enforcement:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36395229&hl=en

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

wow, that sucks!

I can't see where "contacting your legislator" is going to help things, though, laying low and keeping our collective nose clean for a bit is probably the only option.

It's not like this is the first year there have been deaths there, not even the first year there have been this many, this early in the calendar...

Well, at least we've cleaned up that mess over in Iraq, sealed off our borders to illegal immigration, fixed the problems with education in this Country, made such serious progress in the fight against cancer, and virtually ended crime, so that resources can be devoted to checking helmet stickers and writing RV's.

At least the ticket revenue will SURELY go towards a fresh layer of asphalt for the ol' Dragon!

(wow, I think I pulled something there, I think...it was...my sarcasm muscle)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:46 am

I go down to that area a couple times a year, and sometimes don't even ride the dragon. Many other roads more enjoyable with a lot fewer idiots.
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 7:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Head to WV

Lots of great rides, just watch out for the gravel on curves......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 7:32 am

Well 555 in Ohio...fresh pavement-all the heck ya can handle ....never seen an LEO.....SSSSHHHH!!! its a secret. And YES Dan-watch for gravel!!

Mike
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 7:46 am

Cool So what?

Although I could care less if I ever ride the Dragon again...if one must, just go early during the week. I guarantee you won't see the LEOs on it during a Tuesday afternoon. Why go when all the posers are there anyway?

It does crack me up how the astounding "Tail of the Dragon" has become the mecca of all motorcycle riding east of the Mississippi. Gimme a break! It's only 11 miles long for crying out loud. YAWN!!! And one can't even reach triple-digits ... ever! Double-YAWN!!! I'll ride the Cherohala Skyway, thank ya very much. Less posers, it's faster, better views . . . and 'The Bistro' is one of my favorite restaurants to stop for lunch.

US129 is NOT the 'Be All End All' for riding, IMO. I say "Screw It!", and go find some real riding roads.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:21 am

Well the cars can't catch you anyway, they tend to run off the road.
If you know how to duck up Cades cove backwards they'll never know where you went. (Don't ask how I know this )
As for them pulling bikes for no reason, not likely, while local Barny Fife's maybe dumbass, (not saying they are in this local) takes a good bit more to make a trooper.
Ride the Wabaugh rd, take a side road off the Foothills pkwy, you'll find riding you never knew existed.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Well, it seems they are cracking down hard on agrresive driving/riding on the dragon.

These actions prove Tennessee does not welcome visitors to this area.

<snip>

Now tell the Governor of Tennessee, other state officials, and Blount County Commissioners what you think. Letís be LOUD & PROUD.
no those actions show the residents of the areas are sick and damn tired of the noise, racing , and ignorant riding of better than 3/4 of the riders in that area, it is getting the same way here around the loops in NE Georgia.

maybe it's time to get loud and proud with our own and police ourselves.

it has become total BS with all the high speed racing, terribly loud pipes from the jap bikes and harley's and just flat rude behavior from many of the sport biker riders.

tom
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
As for them pulling bikes for no reason, not likely, while local Barny Fife's maybe dumbass, (not saying they are in this local) takes a good bit more to make a trooper.

well I'll tell ya Rock, the staties and county boys here in N Ga are doing just that, that is if you consider getting pulled over for 58 in a 55 no reason, this just happened to my wife a couple weeks ago on her way home from work on her R1200GS

and hey don't give away a few of the good places left that are not well known!

Tom
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
wow, that sucks!

I can't see where "contacting your legislator" is going to help things, though, laying low and keeping our collective nose clean for a bit is probably the only option.

It's not like this is the first year there have been deaths there, not even the first year there have been this many, this early in the calendar...

Well, at least we've cleaned up that mess over in Iraq, sealed off our borders to illegal immigration, fixed the problems with education in this Country, made such serious progress in the fight against cancer, and virtually ended crime, so that resources can be devoted to checking helmet stickers and writing RV's.

At least the ticket revenue will SURELY go towards a fresh layer of asphalt for the ol' Dragon!

(wow, I think I pulled something there, I think...it was...my sarcasm muscle)
hehehe, good one

your right though, laying low might help, I personally think some quieter pipes would help drastically, even when your not flying most folks think you are with the loud pipes (more so on the non harley crowd)
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
well I'll tell ya Rock, the staties and county boys here in N Ga are doing just that, that is if you consider getting pulled over for 58 in a 55 no reason, this just happened to my wife a couple weeks ago on her way home from work on her R1200GS

and hey don't give away a few of the good places left that are not well known!

Tom
When I went to school 58 was more the 55
So that does not come under the no reason clause, she was breaking the speed limit.
From fighting tickets in different places I have found they have to be clean tickets, I.E not wearing a helmet, but you were drunk does not work. Now you can't fight the DUI pull over on it's own because you were so drunk you forgot to put on your helmet.
If she had been doing 54mph that would be no reason, insist on a ticket, take it to court. Then sue the dept, jurisdiction and officer personally for expenses + (this is the big one) violating your rights to free and unencumbered travel as a citizen of the formerly free USA.
You do have to be not breaking the rules, to play in their playground, that does not mean you can't play and win
I won't give away anymore unknown rides
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #13 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
When I went to school 58 was more the 55
So that does not come under the no reason clause, she was breaking the speed limit.
true and the reason we did not complain.

But you must admit that does sound funny coming from you after you saying
"Well the cars can't catch you anyway, they tend to run off the road. If you know how to duck up Cades cove backwards they'll never know where you went. (Don't ask how I know this )" <grin>

BTW that road to cades cove should be open again now after it's few years closed.

Still My point is they are really cracking down, never have we been pulled over for 3 over the limit anywhere, and I'm sure we have been tagged by radar many times for 3 or 5 over.

Quote:

You do have to be not breaking the rules, to play in their playground, that does not mean you can't play and win
I agree
Quote:

I won't give away anymore unknown rides
Rock
Thank You! <g>

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in