• 1 Post By Sleuth
  • 2 Post By Goose11
  • 1 Post By RidgeRunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2019, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Garage
Trip to Arizona

Good afternoon,

Although this will not be on two wheels, rather on four, I need a bit of help in holiday planning.

This year, we are celebrating 25 years of matrimony and thought about going to the States to see some of the sights - Arizona & southern Utah.

We will be seeing the Grand Canyon, and afterwards heading a bit south of Flagstaff. We have a choice between Sedona National Park (and the hiking & trails) or the Meteor Crater.

My question is what is better? The Meteor Crater or the Park? Are both so impressive that should not be missed?

We have limited time, so while both is possible - it might mean other things are forgone. Hence my question to those that know.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2019, 10:40 am

Garage
Re: Trip to Arizona

Have not been to the meteor crater but Sedona is beautiful!

MariettaMark

2004 R1150RT
2004 Honda Shadow 1100 Sabre

"My youth comes firmly under the protection of the 5th amendment and hopefully a statute of limitations"
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Garage

Sorry to be a troublemaker but I'd spend the time seeing the National Parks in southern Utah (Brice, Zion, Capitol Reef and especially Arches) rather than either spot in Arizona. I haven't been everywhere but I don't know of any place as beautiful and varied as Southern Utah. It also couldn't be more different than Belgium.

BTW, when are you visiting? You may know the government over here is semi shutdown. A friend just got back from a trip to Utah, he was able to get into Brice (free!) but not the south rim of the Grand Canyon or the other federally administered attractions including he'd planned to show his family. Check first.
beech and RJPsRT like this.

Well, to be Frank,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd have to change my screen name

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 7th, 2019, 2:10 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Sorry to be a troublemaker but I'd spend the time seeing the National Parks in southern Utah (Brice, Zion, Capitol Reef and especially Arches) rather than either spot in Arizona. I haven't been everywhere but I don't know of any place as beautiful and varied as Southern Utah. It also couldn't be more different than Belgium.

BTW, when are you visiting? You may know the government over here is semi shutdown. A friend just got back from a trip to Utah, he was able to get into Brice (free!) but not the south rim of the Grand Canyon or the other federally administered attractions including he'd planned to show his family. Check first.
You are not a trouble maker, we are planning on seeing most of those parks. Wea re also going to a number of State Parks in southern Utah. Plus we will be visiting a number of place in Northern Utah as well (also seeing some friends there.) It is planned to spend 4th July in Kanab UT.

We will be visiting end June to Mid-July, so hopefully the Government will be back to what passes as normal. (I am critical of all Governments - if they received the same "benefits" as the ordinary people wages, & social security would improve dramatically!)
Munmi likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Garage

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy. If you haven't been to Utah before you'll find the laws relating to alcohol in Utah are pretty funny. Way looser than they were 30 years ago but still, you are in a state dominated by people who consider drinking alcohol (or coffee or a Coke) a sin.

Yeah, normally things with the Gov'ment would be fixed by July but then normal left the US a couple of years ago.

I you ever get to the central California coast PM me. I haven't been to Brussels in a long while but it would be fun to talk to a 'local" again. I might even be able to offer some comments about things to do in the Golden State. I live in a major wine producing region (Paso Robles), you, your spouse and my girlfriend could do some comparison tasting. I don't drink much, I am generally the designated driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
You are not a trouble maker, we are planning on seeing most of those parks. Wea re also going to a number of State Parks in southern Utah. Plus we will be visiting a number of place in Northern Utah as well (also seeing some friends there.) It is planned to spend 4th July in Kanab UT.

We will be visiting end June to Mid-July, so hopefully the Government will be back to what passes as normal. (I am critical of all Governments - if they received the same "benefits" as the ordinary people wages, & social security would improve dramatically!)
Sleuth and RJPsRT like this.

Well, to be Frank,

post #6 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 6:11 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy. If you haven't been to Utah before you'll find the laws relating to alcohol in Utah are pretty funny. Way looser than they were 30 years ago but still, you are in a state dominated by people who consider drinking alcohol (or coffee or a Coke) a sin.

Yeah, normally things with the Gov'ment would be fixed by July but then normal left the US a couple of years ago.

I you ever get to the central California coast PM me. I haven't been to Brussels in a long while but it would be fun to talk to a 'local" again. I might even be able to offer some comments about things to do in the Golden State. I live in a major wine producing region (Paso Robles), you, your spouse and my girlfriend could do some comparison tasting. I don't drink much, I am generally the designated driver.
Hi Goose,

I would like to meet up, on our bucket list is a trip to Sequoia trees. We had wanted it this trip but just too many things to do and see, and not enough time.

I do have to warn you the wine tasting would be wasted on us, we belong to the dominant people in Utah. While we don't drink tea, coffee, alcohol etc, we do have tea and coffee at home for our guests. It is how you behave to people of another opinion / belief etc that determines what kind of person you are!

If you get to Brussels way, let me know perhaps we can meet up.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Garage

No worries on the wine thing, my initials are LDS. No, just an accident, I'm not Mormon. When I was kid my best friend was Mormon, we both thought my initials were pretty funny. Could be worse, if my dad had his way my first two initials would have been VD instead of LD. Really glad mom won that one... Given that I'll let you know southern Utah is not like up around Salt Lake City, lots of heathens.

Not likely I'll get to Brussels, I used to travel a lot, these days the idea of going to an airport makes me a little ill. I may have one or two trips to the tropics left in me but otherwise if my Beemer will not get me there I'm probably not going.

Have a great trip, I'm not sure which is more fun: Seeing Americans blown away by the architecture and history in Europe or watching Europeans blown away the vastness and geological features of the western US. Last summer I pulled into a little cafe in Utah for lunch, my RT made the parking lot 2 Harleys with German riders and two BMWs with American riders. Interesting conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
Hi Goose,

I do have to warn you the wine tasting would be wasted on us, we belong to the dominant people in Utah. While we don't drink tea, coffee, alcohol etc, we do have tea and coffee at home for our guests. It is how you behave to people of another opinion / belief etc that determines what kind of person you are!

Best regards
Sleuth

Well, to be Frank,

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2019, 1:38 am Thread Starter

Garage

Love the initials.

Sorry, where are the heathens SLC or Southern Utah? Probably SLC

I have learnt, never say never. I never expected to leave the sacred island (UK) so why learn a foreign language? Now in Belgium, and loving it - but finding foreign languages pretty hard to learn.

I think every country has something to offer in terms of geological features, the US just has them in a bigger style!

I think the café story shows how the world is based on equivalence. How did the Germans find the Harley? Did they have problems on the turns?

Best regards
Sleuth

Quote:
No worries on the wine thing, my initials are LDS. ... Given that I'll let you know southern Utah is not like up around Salt Lake City, lots of heathens.

Not likely I'll get to Brussels, ...

Have a great trip, I'm not sure which is more fun: Seeing Americans blown away by the architecture and history in Europe or watching Europeans blown away the vastness and geological features of the western US. Last summer I pulled into a little cafe in Utah for lunch, my RT made the parking lot 2 Harleys with German riders and two BMWs with American riders. Interesting conversations.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Back to your original question; Sedona National Park would be my recommendation. Excellent hiking and a lot of very interesting things to see and do around Sedona.
Sleuth likes this.

Bob in the Sonoran Desert

2018 R1200RT Option 719 (Planet Blue Metallic)
2016 S1000XR (White) sold
2014 S1000R (Matt Blue) sold
2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) sold
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 6:29 am Thread Starter

Garage

Hi RidgeRunner,

Thanks for the info.

From what we have seen, there is so much to see and do in each of the locations. Normally we like to explore a region thoroughly but I doubt we will have time to do it all.

We will only have about 1 day to explore the Sedona Park, do you have any suggestions on which trails to go on, and things to see?

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 9:24 am

I would say Sedona and maybe a trip up to Jerome for a Haunted Hamburger.
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 3:49 pm

If you get to Arches National Park in southern Utah, you are not far from a must do ride. The views are amazing and at the bottom is Goose something park with a famous view of the Colorado river.
https://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Garage

Rats, I guess I need to go back to Arches, missed that one. Here is a video from the a sidecar riding dog's POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
If you get to Arches National Park in southern Utah, you are not far from a must do ride. The views are amazing and at the bottom is Goose something park with a famous view of the Colorado river.
https://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

Well, to be Frank,

post #14 of 21 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 9:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Lots to see and do in Sedona, but there is no National Park there. State parks, yes. Very popular in the summer. National parks and monuments nearby, yes.

Meteor Crater is privately owned, impressive, and doesn't take that much time to experience.

My list of things to do in the Flagstaff area include Sunset Crater National Monument, and nearby Wupatki NM, Walnut Canyon NM, Petrified Forest NP, and Lowell Observatory.

Motor On ,/'

post #15 of 21 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Garage

Fly into Salt Lake City and see Utah. Fly into Las Vegas and do Lake Mead, Hoover, St George, Valley of the Fire State Park, Zion, Bryce, Coral Sands, Monument Valley, Arches, Moab, Canyons and the North Rim and Antelope Canyon. You wont regret it.
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
Fly into Salt Lake City and see Utah. Fly into Las Vegas and do Lake Mead, Hoover, St George, Valley of the Fire State Park, Zion, Bryce, Coral Sands, Monument Valley, Arches, Moab, Canyons and the North Rim and Antelope Canyon. You wont regret it.
The plan is to fly into Las Vegas, the onto Hoover, Grand Canyon for a couple of days (including a hike down & back in a day), then Sedona / Meteor Crater, Petrified forest, Four corners, Gooseneck Park, Monument Valley, Lake Powel, Kanab, Bryce Canyon, Zion Park, Mountain Meadows, St George.

Fly to SLC then attack the Northern part of Utah, plus Dinosaur Park, hopefully Hill Aerospace Museum - possibly including going to Moab (might try to squeeze it into the southern part of the trip!.

So we are doing virtually the State.

We have about 3 full weeks, plus a few days there.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Garage

Good choices. What I suspect you may find after about a week is what I find... that you start to wish you got to know a few parks more than seeing them all in a driving tour. Settle in... three days in a National Park is merely a good start. Driving through them makes me wish I had spent more time. If you get to that feeling, listen to it and stay a few more days. Buy camping equipment and really enjoy it. Maybe borrow or rent some from an LT owner here. Maybe an owner will let you use their bike if you insure the heck out of it and give them some dough. Depends on how you are wired I suppose. You can spend about 500 bucks and break even on camping gear in three days. Parks are hard hard hard to find accomodations in ...
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Garage

Are you going anywhere near Colorado?

05 BMW K1200LT
13 Kawasaki Concours 1400
14 Kawasaki Teryx 4x4

Gone, but never forgotten:-
08 09 Conny 14
03 Honda Blackbird.
85 Suzuki GS1000
79 Yamaha RD50M (EDB 138T)
and countless others,

All engines built at Norfolk and Chance motors....
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 5:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelergaugephil View Post
Are you going anywhere near Colorado?
Unfortunately we had to limit our hopes (also on the wish list were: The Sequoia trees, Devils mountain, Old Faithful, Mount Rushmore etc)

We are sneaking across the border for Dinosaur Park.

Sorry, the US is just too big to take it all in one trip. We have friends in Utah, plus various connections - hence it is our springboard to exploring the States.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2019, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
Good choices. What I suspect you may find after about a week is what I find... that you start to wish you got to know a few parks more than seeing them all in a driving tour. Settle in... three days in a National Park is merely a good start. Driving through them makes me wish I had spent more time. If you get to that feeling, listen to it and stay a few more days. Buy camping equipment and really enjoy it. Maybe borrow or rent some from an LT owner here. Maybe an owner will let you use their bike if you insure the heck out of it and give them some dough. Depends on how you are wired I suppose. You can spend about 500 bucks and break even on camping gear in three days. Parks are hard hard hard to find accomodations in ...
Thanks, As I said in the previous post - this is our first extended trip to explore the US. We are planning to do more, so I am sure we will come back and explore the Parks in more detail. Normally we go to a location and explore it more detail than the US in 10 days. There is just so much to see and do on our must do lists!

My wife and myself are not true campers, so not sure about this time. Perhaps next time.

Going for a ride? While I would love to ride - I would only do it with my kit, and that would increase the weight we would be carrying it would not be possible. Plus the wife does not like to sit pillion - not for any extended periods.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 25th, 2019, 9:36 pm

My best advice for that part of the world is to drink a lot of water, you don't want to get dehydrated and not able to enjoy the rest of your holiday. The other thing is that I wouldn't travel more than 400 km a day, that isn't very far in a day but it will eat up 5 hours even if you drive fast and look at nothing. Avoid chain restaurants, that part of the world lots of Mexican restaurants and the mildly sketchy looking places seem to have the best food. If you have never had what is called BBQ in the states try to find a place with a good reputation. By the way BBQ ≠ grilling

Have a great trip

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in