• 1 Post By billsmith
  • 1 Post By mwnahas
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage
LT to Alaska

I' ve been dreaming

Can an LT make it to Alaska? OK aside from the weight issue would you do it for the comfort of a long distance tour?
I been looking at some threads on another channel and have seen all forms of tow-wheeled machines pictured at the end of the line DH (Prudhoe Bay).
No wonder instead of counting sheep at night I have been imagining being at the Artic Circle. And though much of the road is paved there is still 1500 or so miles of he11 ie(gravel, unpaved, construction or just mother nature showing her teeth). How many would make that adventure with an LT and any special prep? Would masking the plastics have any significant impact? Well I'm all ears. In case you might be wondering trip planning is the best substitute for winter follies in Chicago.

ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Re: LT to Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
I' ve been dreaming

Can an LT make it to Alaska? OK aside from the weight issue would you do it for the comfort of a long distance tour?
I been looking at some threads on another channel and have seen all forms of tow-wheeled machines pictured at the end of the line DH (Prudhoe Bay).
No wonder instead of counting sheep at night I have been imagining being at the Artic Circle. And though much of the road is paved there is still 1500 or so miles of he11 ie(gravel, unpaved, construction or just mother nature showing her teeth). How many would make that adventure with an LT and any special prep? Would masking the plastics have any significant impact? Well I'm all ears. In case you might be wondering trip planning is the best substitute for winter follies in Chicago.

ride safe
With My LT, I would make that journey today because I have addressed the final drive, the leaking main seal and O-Ring and I have an 01 and not newer where the ABS could impact my journey. Since I have attended to those short comings, I would take that journey today and only turn back for something insurmountable. I have journeys like that in my sights already!!!

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 2:09 am

There are plenty of Alaska U-tube videos out there and I don't think the LT would be a good choice when you hit the unpaved section. Of course Saddleman rides his in the snow so I could be wrong.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 7:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Can an LT make it to Alaska?

Sure.

Is it the best choice for the ride?

No, not really.

But if it's what you own, you've done all the proper maintenance so you trust its reliability, and you're a skilled rider that can handle the big beast in difficult conditions and aren't worried about dirt roads, weather, mud, and large trucks blasting past you at full speed raising dust and signifigantly reducing visibility, then yeah, you can do it...
Patric likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have been to Alaska on my RT. I did not go to Prudhoe Bay. I hit a lot of rain and the dirt traveling through construction areas (and there were lots!) was like riding on snot! If the weather cooperates you will be ok but I would not go back without an adventure type bike. And....I will be going back because it is incredible!
Patric likes this.

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #6 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I've never had the desire to go to Alaska. If I ever did & did it on my LT I wouldn't do it alone because it is to hard to pick up on a slick muddy road by yourself. I have spare rims & would ship a set with the TKC-80 Continental mounted that I use for winter riding here to put on while riding in Alaska. The limited clearance between the front tire & fender might be a problem on muddy roads.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Quote:
I' ve been dreaming

ride safe
How would you deal with Icy/frozen roads ? Or black ice?

I rode mine through Arizona a year ago & hit a snow storm. Slid twice in one day and the last one was over black ice on the freeway....I did not see it and lost all control of the bike & the front wheel basically disappeared from under me. Not sure if there was anything that could be done to gain control.

The mirror was completely destroyed along with the black rubber & plastic covering the crash side bars and the bar was bent. I walked away with left side bruises and it was impossible to lift the beast (even with the help of a big guy).

I could not simply exist off the freeway because all the exists were covered with snow/ice so I had to keep riding till I found a clear/clean exist. I thought I was going to freeze to death since the seat & hand warmers almost had no effect in such severe conditions. I never wished for death as much as that day, at times it was snowing & I could not see anything. My toes were frozen along with everything else.

So I don't know how Alaska would compare but the LT is a very heavy bike and a bitch to deal with when dropped.
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
With My LT, I would make that journey today because I have addressed the final drive, the leaking main seal and O-Ring and I have an 01 and not newer where the ABS could impact my journey. Since I have attended to those short comings, I would take that journey today and only turn back for something insurmountable. I have journeys like that in my sights already!!!
I did not start this thread to count heads as to how many would or won't.
More so to see what ground I need to go over and things I have not thought about. But I value viewpoints that could help me make some sound decisions.
So thanks.

ride safe
Patric likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Can an LT make it to Alaska?

Sure.

Is it the best choice for the ride?

No, not really.

But if it's what you own, you've done all the proper maintenance so you trust its reliability, and you're a skilled rider that can handle the big beast in difficult conditions and aren't worried about dirt roads, weather, mud, and large trucks blasting past you at full speed raising dust and signifigantly reducing visibility, then yeah, you can do it...
Sadly it's the only horse in the stable.
I have a lot of confidence that my dealer provided service has been reliable thus far.
Skilled rider definitely not. But I do feel competent after 30k + miles from new ('09LT) in 2010 across some far flung spaces of 40 states. No none of them spell ALASKA but I enjoy the comfort level and weather protection of all those rides. If you say the LT could make it then the only way I see that happening is with me in the saddle . . . I guess I would have to improve my skills much more. Thanks much I respect your accomplishments.

ride safe
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I've never had the desire to go to Alaska. If I ever did & did it on my LT I wouldn't do it alone because it is to hard to pick up on a slick muddy road by yourself. I have spare rims & would ship a set with the TKC-80 Continental mounted that I use for winter riding here to put on while riding in Alaska.

The limited clearance between the front tire & fender might be a problem on muddy roads.
Agreed! Definitely would not try alone. I had a hard time and then some much needed help at a camp ground above Yellowstone NP to right the ship.
Interesting idea. I have read many of your threads of your winter riding escapades . . . . I envy that experience. Mine is limited to a couple Toys 4 Tots rides in slush not really snow. I did encounter a driving rain somewhere past Cody WY all the way into Buffalo but no mud.

Another gem of experience thanks good to know.

ride safe
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 7:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I know guys who have taken "worse" bikes up to Prudhoe Bay and made it back.

And some who broke down, and got towed out (really not cheap). But all bikes, street, dual-sport, or other, showed significant wear and cosmetic issues afterwards.

If you kinda think it would be a fun ride, then I'd probably advise against it.

If it's your lifelong bucket list item, then figure it out and go for it. But know that it's not trivial, and there are notable expenses and dangers to be dealt with.

And don't be in a hurry. It takes as long as it takes...

Have you ridden the LT at all on dirt/gravel roads? Are you comfortable with how the big beast handles in poor traction and rough roads? Can you manhandle the LT's weight at slow speeds? Can you pick her up if she drops?

Do you know of a trustworthy friend who'd also like to do the ride? Good company can make the trip better, and a bit safer.

I won't tell you no. That's your decision.

This can be a once-in-a-lifetime ride, to be sure.

But I will suggest that you do a lot of research, and that you're sure of your abilities and your plan before heading out.

Start with this link, then this link, this link, this link, this link, this link, and this link.

And be sure to take lots of pics, then come back and tell us all about it...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage

meese
Sir I am not taking this lightly.
I research over on the adventure network. I respect those who have already done it. It is not going to be an overnight decision or a wham bang thank you mamme ride.
I know such a ride is not fun but I want to enjoy it. I'm retired so nothing but time. Again the main reason for putting it out there on our channel is to get the best advice and infomation to better prepare myself in all aspects. The final decision of course is for a good outcome. And yes plenty of pictures to last a lifetime. My off road riding is next to non-existant with just a few miles into and out of camping situations. I don't like the B word but yes it's on my List. Thanks again.

ride safe
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 8:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've not done that trip, but in reading many reports of those that have the ability to take a bike like the LT would be highly weather dependent. When those roads get wet, they immediately turn into a gooey mess. With knobbies, it's still navigable, but I've seen many photos where the goo has completely packed the clearance between forks and fenders. It would take considerable skill to keep a top heavy bike like the LT upright in that stuff with highway tires. Not trying to discourage you, but I do believe the weather is the unknown you would need to be aware of and plan for.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

meese
Thanks for all the links.
Those on the Adv side with Dave out of AZ I had read a couple summers ago. But those on the RT/LT side were new reading and guys been doing it with LT from way back '07 '08. One common thread is the uncertainty of the weather/road conditions. There were also inbeded sub links. This is rich.

ride safe
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Here's a link to discussion on Alaska Bound from the K1600 forum:

BMW K1600 General Discussions - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

I really wouldn't consider doing it on anything other than a GSA, but know a guy that did it last summer on a K1600GT...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #16 of 33 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 9:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I rode my LT to Alaska in 2004. A GS is a better choice, but you see a lot of Harley baggers, so an LT can do it. As with most things, the bike is probably not the limiting factor, the rider is. If you've never taken your LT down a forest road, you might want to get some off road practice--Alaskans love to surprise those from the lower 48 with what they jokingly call 'construction', more like destruction. My main advice is to arrive in Alaska on as fresh tires as you can manage. And carry a tire patch kit and air pump.

Motor On ,/'

post #17 of 33 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Bill,

If it were me, I would:
  • carry a spare front tire
    rationale: hitting an unsuspecting pot hole is more likely to cut the front tire then the back, but hell what do I know
  • apply a 3M Chip Guard film across the front of the bike
  • the film might be sufficient for your headlights but you may want something specifically for that purpose
  • significant spare gas
  • bear spray Velcroed to the adventure jacket
  • tire studs to be deployed if needed/last resort
  • mosquito net + 1000% DEET solution
  • GPS memory card for Canada and Alaska (purely optional, as you're probably going to have the route locked in in your tank bag)
And I guess you have to reassess all your camping gear, sleeping bag in particular, etc.

Seems to me the most important factor is picking a good weather window, so I would have all my stuff on standby and then follow the weather for a launch window. That might involve hanging around Seattle or somewhere thereabouts for a start.

But that's just me being ultra cautious.

Let me know what your "final" solution is.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #18 of 33 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Agreed! Definitely would not try alone. I had a hard time and then some much needed help at a camp ground above Yellowstone NP to right the ship.
Interesting idea. I have read many of your threads of your winter riding escapades . . . . I envy that experience. Mine is limited to a couple Toys 4 Tots rides in slush not really snow. I did encounter a driving rain somewhere past Cody WY all the way into Buffalo but no mud.

Another gem of experience thanks good to know.

ride safe
I will be on my LT and a buddy of mine will be on a Harley We are thinking the second week of July taking off but
we are going as far as Fairbanks were not going try going to Prudhoe Bay but who knows
post #19 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
I rode my LT to Alaska in 2004. A GS is a better choice, but you see a lot of Harley baggers, so an LT can do it. As with most things, the bike is probably not the limiting factor, the rider is. If you've never taken your LT down a forest road, you might want to get some off road practice--Alaskans love to surprise those from the lower 48 with what they jokingly call 'construction', more like destruction. My main advice is to arrive in Alaska on as fresh tires as you can manage. And carry a tire patch kit and air pump.
Thanks.
Actual experience is one he11 of a teacher. Love such details.

ride safe
post #20 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Bill,

If it were me, I would:
  • carry a spare front tire
    rationale: hitting an unsuspecting pot hole is more likely to cut the front tire then the back, but hell what do I know
  • apply a 3M Chip Guard film across the front of the bike
  • the film might be sufficient for your headlights but you may want something specifically for that purpose
  • significant spare gas
  • bear spray Velcroed to the adventure jacket
  • tire studs to be deployed if needed/last resort
  • mosquito net + 1000% DEET solution
  • GPS memory card for Canada and Alaska (purely optional, as you're probably going to have the route locked in in your tank bag)
And I guess you have to reassess all your camping gear, sleeping bag in particular, etc.

Seems to me the most important factor is picking a good weather window, so I would have all my stuff on standby and then follow the weather for a launch window. That might involve hanging around Seattle or somewhere thereabouts for a start.

But that's just me being ultra cautious.

Let me know what your "final" solution is.

All good tips.
The camping and riding gear I am good on might even add or update. The clear film to cover for plastics is good idea. Windshield and lights are hard to protect even here in highway traffic but I 'm mindfull. From a tip on the adventure rider side Sawyer's insect repellant seems to get the node over the deet I been using. I might be trying that out on my next camp trip.

ride safe
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This site is from a local friend, member of this forum fraternity and our local Beemer Club.
Alaska 2007 | gingerich.net

I had dinner with Wally and his wife Elaine the last week end at our club's Holiday Banquet and remarked during our moto conversations as to his Alaskan Adventure and riding the LT there. His main comment was that he rode the Haul Rode while being very loose! Wally has had many bikes in his stable. The LT is gone now but he still rides in OH, the Pacific NW (with a bike in the garage there) as well as on the east coast. Grandchildren are located at both locations!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #22 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
I will be on my LT and a buddy of mine will be on a Harley We are thinking the second week of July taking off but
we are going as far as Fairbanks were not going try going to Prudhoe Bay but who knows
Whatever info you bring back would be highly appreciated.
That said I hope you have a successful and memorable trip. Some seem to think late summer is better than the 6 week period from Memorial day to mid-July. The insect war is less pervasive, the tourist rush is thinning out and the shy animals seem to come back. The main thing is returning safely with lots of stories to tell.

ride safe

Oh yes from my research so far unleaded gasoline is the only fuel in town. Let us know how you handle that. Thanks.
post #23 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
This site is from a local friend, member of this forum fraternity and our local Beemer Club.

I had dinner with Wally and his wife Elaine the last week end at our club's Holiday Banquet and remarked during our moto conversations as to his Alaskan Adventure and riding the LT there. His main comment was that he rode the Haul Rode while being very loose! Wally has had many bikes in his stable. The LT is gone now but he still rides in OH, the Pacific NW (with a bike in the garage there) as well as on the east coast. Grandchildren are located at both locations!
Will certainly check that site out.
Unfortunately only one stable here in the midwest and in it one ridable mount. The other is a keeper 30+ yr Goldwing. I will save any other comments after I have read the thread. Thanks.

ride safe
post #24 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Did this in 2006. I was on a GSPD but my riding partner was on a K1200LT with a Hannigan sidecar. I had no problems. The K12 lost a front fender. and broke a bracket holding the sidecar. Main problem was the gunk you will pick up on the roads. Some crap is spread on the roads that will cling to the wheels and frame. We cleaned up whenever we found a water hose. The stuff will harden and the longer it clings to your bike the harder it will be to get off. The road gravel will wear your tires out prematurely. You will need tires so plan ahead or carry them with you. Watch out for stones when following others. Stay far behind or you'll get stoned and it won't be nice.
Have fun. Watch out for the moose. They cause more problems then the bears.
post #25 of 33 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Arrow Re: LT to Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post

I had dinner with Wally and his wife Elaine the last week . . . .
Thanks again PM.
And thanks to your friend/club member. Very interesting and informative. I did not read it in the order presented but rather picked up from Calgary on northward. And by the next leg of the trip I was guessing this guy must be a professor or something. I was really enjoying his layout, his discriptions and explanation of what he was seeing and how it fit into the scheme of things. I got more absorbed in that and the pictures than what/why I was originally seeking the bike/road conditions/ and handling said conditions. Next I did the reflections followed by the bike prep. Thanks to his experience and narration I now have a few more answers(pieces to the puzzle).
From this 3 things really stand out.
1. Knowing your machine very well. And checking behind anyone who has to do any services eg. like his oil change. Tires too.
2. Making decisions. Knowing when to turn around. Very important especially being by self.
3. Having a good relationship with mother nature. It seems when it rained he was either asleep/night or his day off the bike. OK and a couple misty light drizzle mornings north of the boarder.
I'm glad you brought this thread to my attention.

ride safe

Last edited by billsmith; Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:23 pm. Reason: Was accidently logged out or so I thought had to log back in.
post #26 of 33 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 8:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Great! If you want to reach out to Professor Wally, I can provide his email address by PM.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #27 of 33 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Rode my '03 LT with wifey on pillion in 2010 to Anchorage, from Iowa. Headed north to Winnipeg, and then the TransCanada Hwy 1, then 16, then 43 (Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Dawson Creek) and then up the AlCan hwy to Tok, and south to Anchorage.

A couple hints, BUY a copy of the MILEPOST Magazine (barnes and noble will have them in stock starting in March). It lists all the road conditions, gas stops, motels, from the previous years travel season, tourist attractions, fishing sites, camp sites and motels. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE!

Roads were paved, unless under construction, and then they were dusty, with crushed granite for gravel, real tough on tires. Canada uses a spray in the construction zones for dust control, it's some form of salt solution and turn the road to "snot", just like driving on fresh oil on hot tar.

No problems with the LT, rode up and back on the same set of tires, no flats, no issues.

Watch out for the moose and bison on the road in the Yukon Territory. I would not tent once you get to the AlCan hwy, way to many grizzly bears to consider it.

I did not attempt to take the LT on the "Haul Road" and would never so! Rent a GS while in Anchorage or Fairbanks and take that!

PM me if you want to discuss any thing or would like additional info!

Enjoy the ride, the LT is a fantastic cruiser loves the roads up there!

2003 LT
1980 Gold Wing Interstate (still have it!)
1979 Kawasaki 750
1975 Suzuki 175
1963 Cushman Silver Eagle (wish I still had it!) (just bought another one!)
2016 Indian Scout 60 (She who must be obeyed needed a ride!)
post #28 of 33 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 6:09 pm

One of my favorite to the Arctic Circle videos.

kbob12 likes this.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #29 of 33 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 8:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Very nice, thanks for posting the video!! I was thinking that it would have been a great adventure about 20+ years ago when I was a lot younger to do this (but on a GSA, not an LT or my GTLE...). My hats off to others that are contemplating this trip. I did a form of this on a Princess cruise ship about a year ago and thought it would be great to have a bike up there..

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #30 of 33 Old Jan 21st, 2017, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks all for the input.
I have receieved many supportive and encouraging views. I have also read some that point in the other direction. Knowing that the final decision is not on a paper map but on the real roads on unknown terrain. With that in mind I have decided to leave the easy tasks of communicating one on one as a fine tune for a GO mission.

This means the major work I must tackle first. Distance from home too Canadian boarder check (miles to WA and MT done in comfort). Paved highway through Canada check. Camping and weather check. Which leaves two outstanding matters in true conscience I cannot check.
1. gravel/mud/slop and potholes on me (how well can I handle)
2. gravel/mud/potholes and that corrosive mix on the bike.

In my younger days of track I learned how to prepare by going up and down stairs, running in wet and dry sand, lengthening my stride and power to jump a stream or obstacle. But how do I get this done before this challenge. Some suggest fire roads. Again I am unaware of any such trials in the lower 48 to horn my skills. No check there. And cosmetic fixes to lights and plastics might be easy, fresh tires can be done, even shock upgrades front and aft no problem but there still remain mud and junk between tires and forks, tires and fender, the cement like goo in the electrical and moving parts and the micro switches (foot pedal and side stand). How do I overcome such matters. So these are the major concerns I need to attack first before shifting to individual experiences to support my final decision. I have much work to do on the 3 p's (preparedness, practice and perseverance). Stay tuned I'm going to be calling out.

ride safe
post #31 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am likewise planning a trip to Alaska. I was originally thinking it would be a solo trip, but my wife now says her only reservation was the Dalton and she is fine going to Anchorage and hanging out there a few days.

When planning a solo trip, my two options were:
1. Buy a GS 1200 or maybe 800, but I don't trust BMW reliability for a trip that long. And these are costly options.
2. Buy a KLR650. Definitely give up comfort, but little doubt that the baby Kaw will get me there and back. And you can't beat $6,500 for a new bike! I could outfit it with the sales tax I would pay on a GS1200. After test riding a KLR this past summer, this was my preferred solo option.

Now that the longest part will be ridden two-up, I am looking at these options:
1. Ride my LT to Anchorage and rent a KLR there for the Dalton segment. This is my current leading option.
2. Buy a GS1200 and add RDL seat and such to make it a reasonably comfortable two-up traveling mount. This is a pricey option and I barely can afford the time and money to keep one BMW road worthy. Two of them would be way too costly in both time and money.

Having ridden the haul road in a tour bus, I would not even think of riding it on my LT. Doing so is certainly possible, but would not be fun and likely would reduce its value by at least $1,000 or more due to plastic damage and extra wear on nearly every part of the bike, but wheels and brakes in particular.

I can rent a KLR for about $120/day which is $720 for the required 6 day rental. Add in the "north of the circle" surcharge of $500 and you still are paying out less than the value you would lose by beating up your LT. And the KLR would make the ride fun, rather than a chore.

So, unless I can think of a better option, I likely will ride to Anchorage with my wife on our LT. She will enjoy six days there on her own while I satisfy my crazy side riding to Deadhorse on a light and responsive KLR that thrives on a gravel road.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #32 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 5:51 pm

It's on my bucket list. I would take something more adventurey than an LT though.
post #33 of 33 Old Oct 27th, 2017, 8:52 am

Have you finally decided to go to Alaska with the LT?
Or will you take another motorcycle to be better prepared for the offroad section of the trip?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in