Riding Motorcycles When You Have Young Kids At Home.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By moshe_levy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 30th, 2016, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Riding Motorcycles When You Have Young Kids At Home....

Hi All-

My new video focuses on the controversial issue of riding motorcycles when you still have young kids at home. Some give up riding altogether. Some curtail it. And some keep on going.... How did you handle it?

-MKL
Sleuth likes this.

Moshe K. Levy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 BMW R1200RT
2013 Moto-Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 Yamaha YSR50
1973 BMW R75/5
Moto Mouth Video Reviews
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moto Mouth Homepage

Facebook

Blogspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 31st, 2016, 8:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Riding Motorcycles When You Have Young Kids At Home....

I gave riding altogether even before the kids! Once I had family commitments, I gave that up. I think that responsibilities to family, even if that is just your SO, comes first! Might be different if your SO also likes to ride, but even that would change once we had kids in the pictures!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 31st, 2016, 10:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

I gave up riding after the first kid and sold the bike to buy our first house. Once the kids were in high school, I was helping a friend buy his first bike. While at the dealership, I noticed a used Honda Shadow with a great price. After some negotiation, the great price become a steal and I bought it to see if the SO and I still enjoyed riding. We did...I sold the Honda the next spring (made money on it...ha!), bought a K1100 LT and was officially into riding again. That was 21 years ago.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 31st, 2016, 2:52 pm

Moshe,

That was a very thoughtful piece. I didn't start riding until I was 40; my youngest was around 17 by that time. Had I started riding earlier, I don't know how we would have handled it. I do know when my first kid arrived, I started wearing seat belts consistently, so maybe that indicates I would have given up riding at least for the short term.

The scene with your little ones greeting you in the garage is priceless.

Having had a pretty bad accident early in my riding career, I do know that things can change suddenly and the effects can be profound.

I wish you and your lovely family all the best.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2016, 4:50 am

Garage

Hi Moshe,

Brilliant piece of work.

When my wife became pregnant, we only had the bike for transport. She quit riding, though for her that was not a major drawback - she doesn't have the bike in the blood! I kept riding, any other choice was expensive. Just before my son (first born) was born the bike quit and it was money for child, money for repairs, but not both. Being unreasonable, the boss said she was not prepared to wait - 9 months was too long! So I quit, the longer I waited the less reason I had for getting the bike going again (more money than before - original repairs & the getting it going!)

It was only when the train company increased the fares by 35% (9 years after stopping) that there was a good reason to switch. I found that my skills were no longer as sharp as before, and they have never returned to the original state. Of course I am that much older so that has an impact.

I now ride virtually every day, and ride as & when I can. I am mindful that this is a dangerous love, but it will not stop me. My daughter (2nd child) also loves the bike, but will only ride on multi day rides.

Enjoy the family, they grow up too quickly.

Keep safe

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2016, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Excellent and though provoking segment, Moshe. I started riding when I was 11 (Honda Trail 70) and rode dirt bikes up until I graduated college and moved away for my first job. Was without a bike for about 18 years, so my kids were old enough to ride pillion when I started riding again. I was riding almost every day for years and a few long trips until my wife started having trouble with fibromyalgia. Now I ride less, but need mental health rides to keep me going. My guess is if I had been riding all along, I would have slowed down while the kids were being born and were tiny.

Thanks for the video. Something for every rider to think about during the childbearing and early parenting years.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in