West coast tour that almost didn't happen - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By SeaPaddle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

West coast tour that almost didn't happen

My life-long friend (on a GSA) and I (on a RT) planned a tour of the Rockies. We would meet in Albuquerque, NM; he rode in from NH and I from CA. The intent was to ride from NM to MT (Glacier NP). I arrived in Albuquerque with no problems. My friend, however had a complete clutch failure 300 miles east; he rode those last miles stuck in 6th gear. He could only downshift if he turned the bike off and let it cool (which meant stalling at a stop). We spent the next week stuck in Albuquerque while his clutch and final drive bearings were replaced. And here is the point of this story....
The dealership that helped us was Sandia BMW Motorcycles on Pan American Freeway in Albuquerque. Drew and Adam from the Service department went above and beyond with expediting parts and the mechanic (I think his name is Brian) demonstrated incredible attention to detail and commitment to fixing the bike. They took us in with no appointment and moved us right to front of the line (this is their normal policy for travelers). They gave us great discounts on labor and provided free rides to/from our hotel. I am so impressed with their friendliness and professionalism. The Service department at this dealership is 5-star. If you are ever in the neighborhood of the guys at Sandia, stop in and say hi - tell them Chris and Lee said hi and Thanks too.
As for our trip, it was cut short but we still had an incredible ride. We rode north from Albuquerque on the 550 into CO. This took us across the $M highway - truly magnificent. We then headed over into UT and spent a couple days camping at Bryce Canyon NP - again, stunning and well worth the trip. And yes, I climbed the Moki Dugway on a RT - Lee is going to get me an ADV rider sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6803.gif
Views:	65
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	113890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6825.gif
Views:	70
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	113898  
scottydawg, ibbones, PadG and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Chris

2015 R1200RT - Now
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad - Then

AMA # 3168624

It is better to work to live (and ride) then to live to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Re: West coast tour that almost didn't happen

Hello Chris,

Thank you for sharing. It is nice to hear when a dealer steps up to take care of a customer. Glad your entire trip wasn't ruined or delayed more than necessary.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 12:19 am

Sounds like a great time - other than the break down. So, did you get a loaner, rent a car or the two of you ride on your RT while waiting for repairs?

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 7:24 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPaddle View Post
As for our trip, it was cut short but we still had an incredible ride. We rode north from Albuquerque on the 550 into CO. This took us across the $M highway - truly magnificent. We then headed over into UT and spent a couple days camping at Bryce Canyon NP - again, stunning and well worth the trip.
I rode part of that route by car a couple of summers ago and plan to go back and ride it by mc soon. The views are stunning.

My father was in Utah during the depression with the CCC camps and spent time helping to build/improve a couple of those national parks. He talked more about his time in the CCC camps than he did his WWII activities.

BTW, why is your front fairing not painted the same color as your bike? Every RT that I have seen has color matched front fairings. Just curious.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post

BTW, why is your front fairing not painted the same color as your bike? Every RT that I have seen has color matched front fairings. Just curious.
You must have a little lapse of memory!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 9:05 am

Garage

Is that something particular to the San Marino Blue color scheme?

I noticed 2017s will have a white color option and was just looking at it this morning and the beak is color matched.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Is that something particular to the San Marino Blue color scheme?

I noticed 2017s will have a white color option and was just looking at it this morning and the beak is color matched.
Yes. There were lots of discussions (likes/dislikes) when the color scheme first came out. I am in the camp that like it just as it is, while some people had gone to the trouble of taking the offending parts off and had them painted blue to match the rest of the bike. One guy, on the other forum, had everything painted blue, but quite frankly I didn't like it at all, thinking that it looked so plain and lacks "characters"! Just my tastes, I guess.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

A little of everything actually: we rode two up on my RT, we used Uber and the dealership gave Lee a couple of rides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Chris

2015 R1200RT - Now

AMA # 3168624

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yes. There were lots of discussions (likes/dislikes) when the color scheme first came out. I am in the camp that like it just as it is, while some people had gone to the trouble of taking the offending parts off and had them painted blue to match the rest of the bike. One guy, on the other forum, had everything painted blue, but quite frankly I didn't like it at all, thinking that it looked so plain and lacks "characters"! Just my tastes, I guess.
I'm with you Pad - I like the "two-tone" look. It aligns with the grey on my Day-Long seats and the trunk.

-Chris

2015 R1200RT - Now

AMA # 3168624

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in