How the heck should I do this? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

How the heck should I do this?

Back in Sept we did a 5 day trip out to Montana and back. I wrote up a ride report but it got pretty lengthy with the pics and all. Is there an easy way to post it without it getting all messed up?

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW R1200RT (wife rides, I fix)
Sedro Woolley, Washington State
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 2:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: How the heck should I do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB26 View Post
Back in Sept we did a 5 day trip out to Montana and back. I wrote up a ride report but it got pretty lengthy with the pics and all. Is there an easy way to post it without it getting all messed up?
Nothing is ever easy!!

I would love to see what you ride report, and perhaps you can look to see what I did for my ride report:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/ride-tal...nd-2015-a.html

PS: I first compiled the ride report in MS Words (you can use anything, offline) and then copy/paste them into the actual posts. I also had the image insertion codes in the offline compilation, and named the photo to go along with it. Do remember that you can UL only 10 pictures per post, and that is why my reports were broken up into multiple parts.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Nothing is ever easy!!

I would love to see what you ride report, and perhaps you can look to see what I did for my ride report:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/ride-tal...nd-2015-a.html

PS: I first compiled the ride report in MS Words (you can use anything, offline) and then copy/paste them into the actual posts. I also had the image insertion codes in the offline compilation, and named the photo to go along with it. Do remember that you can UL only 10 pictures per post, and that is why my reports were broken up into multiple parts.
After reading your Scotland report I was hoping you'd respond to this as I liked what you did. I'm not really sure what "image insertion codes" are? I'm sure my ignorance is showing through here. I did the same thing you did and have it in a word doc including all pics in the right spots; so my idea was to "screen capture" the doc in small sections and post them as separate pics in the thread. Suppose that'll work?

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 8:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
After reading your Scotland report I was hoping you'd respond to this as I liked what you did. I'm not really sure what "image insertion codes" are? I'm sure my ignorance is showing through here. I did the same thing you did and have it in a word doc including all pics in the right spots; so my idea was to "screen capture" the doc in small sections and post them as separate pics in the thread. Suppose that'll work?
Thanks. I am still working on my "day 5" report! I need to ride when the weather is good, and so took my time doing the writing.

OK, with this forum software, when you upload pictures it will appear as "thumbnails" at the bottom of the post, and not in the body of the post. To get the images into the body of the code, you need to do some simple coding. Basically, wherever you want to show the picture in the body of your post, you need to put in [img] follows immediately with the url of the picture with no spaces and then close with [/img], again making sure that there are no spaces in between the first and last [].

How do you know the url of your picture? After you upload the picture(s), click on the thumbnail, and a new window or tab will open (depending on your browser's configuration) showing that picture. You want to click on the address box of your browser and copy everything in there to paste in between the two [] that I had described above. Here is an example. I will UL a picture, and show you the coding using "{}" instead of "[]" to show you what the coding will look like, because the one with the "[]" will show the actual picture:

Coding:

{img}http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92193&stc=1&d=14453487 39{/img}

Inserted Picture:

With the above in mind, when I do my offline compilation, I will insert the [img] and the [/img] coding wherever I want to show a picture, and since I don't know what the picture's url is going to be, I name my pictures 101, 102, etc instead, and use those id in between the []s. This way, when I copy and paste the compilation into my ride report posts, I can easily replace the 101, 102, etc id with the actual url of those pictures.

There might be an easier way to do it, but this is what worked for me! Oh, if you want to defeat the 10 pictures per post limit, you could upload your pictures to a public picture hosting site, and use the url from those location for your image coding! Personally, I prefers to break up long post anyway, and so the 10 picture limit is fine for me.

I hope that the above is clear! It's beautiful outside today, and so I am going riding now!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011 Botanical Garden (Comprs).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	92193  

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:18 am Thread Starter

I'm going to give my idea a try as it may just work. If it doesn't, I'll be going back to what you wrote to learn something new. Thanks.

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:23 am

You could also convert either the whole Word document or parts of it into PDF files.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
You could also convert either the whole Word document or parts of it into PDF files.
Yep thought about that too...is there an advantage to a PDF over a word doc?

Also considered posting the report to an external site and then just pasting a link into the thread. I think it'd work, but I think people would prefer to have the story already in front of them.

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yep thought about that too...is there an advantage to a PDF over a word doc?

Also considered posting the report to an external site and then just pasting a link into the thread. I think it'd work, but I think people would prefer to have the story already in front of them.
Saw your posts! That's a new idea!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:45 am

Quote:
Yep thought about that too...is there an advantage to a PDF over a word doc.
No. Just that the PDFs would become non editable. But I forgot that you can attach either type of file on this forum.
I also saw your posting. At first I could not read the text but I double clicked on each jpg file and it opened to the full page.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, it was a little different approach to keeping the doc true to it's original. Only down side is that each pic within the story can't be opened up separately and enlarged. You think this approach will work?

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 3:19 pm

To me, it is a pain to have to open and enlarge each jpg, but it will work. With with a Word or pdf file(s), once opened, you could scroll through multiple pages and enlarge it to take up the full screen (on a desktop pc). You may have been able to get eight or ten pages into one file. But in either case, great write-up!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #12 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
To me, it is a pain to have to open and enlarge each jpg, but it will work. With with a Word or pdf file(s), once opened, you could scroll through multiple pages and enlarge it to take up the full screen (on a desktop pc). You may have been able to get eight or ten pages into one file. But in either case, great write-up!
Thanks. I've always thought that the ability to post ride reports with pics is cumbersome. I've been staying away from it for this very reason....could be why we don't see too many reports? Maybe this will spur others to better approaches.....

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in