4Likes
  • 3 Post By ebiss9
  • 1 Post By 2wheeljunkie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Nova Scotia 2015

The wife and I just returned from a week’s trip in Nova Scotia. It seems like we did more riding than sightseeing or relaxing but we were able to visit the Cabot Trail, Hopewell Rocks at the Bay of Fundy, PEI, and Peggy’s Cove along with a good other portion of Nova Scotia. We ran up approximately 2700 miles from Thursday morning to the following Thursday evening. It would have been significantly more had we not taken the Ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS or the one from Caribou to Woods Island and back. All-in-all a good and uneventful trip barring the couple of rain storms. Often, we were in some remote areas with little or no traffic but the LT didn’t let us down and ran like a clock the whole time. Man how I love this machine! I notice the trike seemed to use about a half quart of oil throughout the trip. I discovered a small leak from the front of the sump pan but I was also pushing it fairly hard the whole time and thought with the extra weight of the trike plus the leak as this not to be a problem. Well all that’s left now is to unpack, clean up everything that needs it, hand out the souvenirs that we amassed and plan for the next adventure…….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yarmouth NS.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	82922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base Camp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	913.8 KB
ID:	82930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopewell Rocks.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	82938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain-2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	82946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabot Trail.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	82954  

Name:	Dingwall NS-4.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	678.4 KB
ID:	82962   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Little Chilly.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	82970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold and Wet.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	82978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabot Trail NS.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	82986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another view Cabot Trail-1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	82994  

Gruivis, bmwriderm and JNW003 like this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Nova Scotia 2015

Some more pictures of Nova Scotia.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lunch Break Cape Breton.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	83002   Click image for larger version

Name:	East Point PE-2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	83010   Click image for larger version

Name:	East Point PE-1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	83018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peggys Cove-2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	612.0 KB
ID:	83026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peggys Cove NS-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	83034  

Name:	Lobster break NS.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	83042   Click image for larger version

Name:	US border check.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	533.7 KB
ID:	83050  

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #3 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 5:44 am

I love Nova Scotia as well, but the rocks at Hopewell are in New Brunswick (N.B.), not Nova Scotia. You were walking on the floor of the Bay of Fundy, site of the highest tides in the world. I don't want to take anything away from Nova Scotia, but have to stick up for our province which also has many scenic points. I am not sure if you drove to the Rocks, or took the ferry across the Bay from Digby, N.S., but if you walked on the ocean floor at Hopewell Rocks, you were definitely in N.B., last time I heard anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 7:10 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I thought the GPS directed us to Hopewell Rocks, NS, hey what do I know I'm just a tourist. Guess I'll have to correct my picture headings! Thanks for keeping us straight. Anyway we had a great time and hope to return some day........

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #5 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 8:26 am

The GPS could very well have done that, Nova Scotia by water isn't all that far away, but if you drove by land, i would have thought GPS would have said N.B. at some point, as it would be 50 miles or more from the N.S. border. GPS across the Bay may possibly show N.S. Personally I am all for the joining of the 3 Maritime provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island into one. It would still only have a population of 1.8 million, about the size of a small city in the USA. But what would they do with all those highly paid politicians who would lose their jobs, not to mention the civil servants and other government officials?

Glad you enjoyed your trip, next time plan on spending some more time in N.B., we have lots to offer as well. I enjoy getting south of the border and had some great biking in Maine and New Hampshire.
ebiss9 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 5:18 am

Pics are great, looks fun. That is a trip on my bucket list. What is best time of year to go and avoid rainy weather.

Scott
2007 LT
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 6:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

It was a little cool during the time we spent there. (June 11th thru June 17th) and rained just a few hours for 2 separate days. But if we were to do it again I would probably go toward the end of June next time. I'm sure residents of the area can provide you with normal rain patterns for that time of year. On another note, I neglected to post a picture that shows the attitude toward motorcyclists in Canada, very encouraging to say the least.....Thanks Canada
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motorcycle.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	83274  

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

Last edited by ebiss9; Jun 25th, 2015 at 6:41 am.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 6:41 am

After seeing your pics and reading other travel vlogs we are planning a trip in August to Cape Breton. We will stay in Hampton inn in South Sydney because the wife gets free stay with her points. We plan to use that as our base and take day trips in different directions hitting as many scenic trails as possible in 5 days. Did you need a passport to get into Canada?

Scott
2007 LT
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 10:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
After seeing your pics and reading other travel vlogs we are planning a trip in August to Cape Breton. We will stay in Hampton inn in South Sydney because the wife gets free stay with her points. We plan to use that as our base and take day trips in different directions hitting as many scenic trails as possible in 5 days. Did you need a passport to get into Canada?
You both need a Passport to enter Canada & get back home as well!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 6:45 am

Leaving tomorrow for Cape Breton, N.S. Two days to get there and two back. Five days of riding the LT. Hoping the weather cooperates and we see some whales on our planned whale watching cruise. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott
2007 LT
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 7:09 am

Hope you have a good trip. You are going to one of the friendliest places that we have been to. Eat in the small towns and enjoy the seafood, I love the Seafood Chowder that they serve in Nova Scotia, you will see hot dog trailers but they serve lobster rolls, (lobster mixed with mayo on a hot dog bun). Before we rode the Cabot Trail we stopped at a bakery and bought lunch and then ate it at one of the many picnic areas overlooking the ocean. Hope you are bringing rain gear, most days it rains at some point but the sun shines most days as well.

Remember to have fun

Gerhard
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 7:42 am

Garage

I was there a few weeks ago

I left from Laval,Quebec, went through Vermont, New Hampshire,Maine, New-Brunswick, Nova-Scotia, Prince-Edward Islands and back in Quebec.

4 days, 4040km
Lots of twisty roads with little traffic. The Cabot trail is amazing. It rained only on my last day.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 8:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the pictures! Nova Scotia is on my list of places that I have to ride to!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Garage

Yeah me too!
Definitely on my list. Need to get my passport updated. Great pictures though and thanks for the showing.

ride safe
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 4:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you love seafood chowder, Cedar House Bakery & Restaurant is 889 HWy 105 rd. Boularderie, NS. Heading east on hwy 105, after crossing the bridge at the base of Kelly's mountain, continue about 1 mile. You will be in love!

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 13th, 2016, 9:06 am

I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia this summer in the last week of July. I have most of the trip already booked. I am looking for recommendations for a nice hotel or bed and breakfast on Cape Breton Island. Any suggestions?

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 13th, 2016, 11:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwradon View Post
I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia this summer in the last week of July. I have most of the trip already booked. I am looking for recommendations for a nice hotel or bed and breakfast on Cape Breton Island. Any suggestions?
Only time I was to Cape Breton, other than when i lived there for a couple of years from from 1969-1971, on a construction job, was about 6 years ago and we stayed at a place in Baddeck, but I can't remember the name of the place, and not sure i would recommend it as i thought it was expensive for what it was. But, we were there on the Canada day long weekend and everything was booked so most things were charging higher prices. Baddeck is a nice area as it is the starting point to go around the Cabot Trail, and you can make the loop and return there if you want to stay a couple of days. Lots to see in that area. If you google "motorcycle tour guide, N.S." it will bring up a guide specific to biking tours in N.S., as well as a number of other guides and listings. If i knew how to put in links i would have, but google should do it for you.

post #18 of 18 Old Apr 13th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwradon View Post
Inn at Glendyer, Mabou, Bed and Breakfast Accommodation

We stayed at this place on the west side in 2012, it was great. Easy access to the Cabot Trail, a pub called the Red Shoe with great food and local musicians lots of nice riding in the area. It is a 5 minute ride down a well maintained gravel road. I would go back.

The previous year we went to Louisbourg and can't say that I liked the B&B there as much, I think it was called the Cranberry Inn.

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in