Spring 2014 Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:48 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Spring 2014 Ride

As I am getting ready for my 2015 Spring ride (separate thread, soon), I was looking back at my 2014 one. Fond memories, great riding!

Come along and enjoy the ride! (Note this was on my K1600GT) :

Alain's Spring 2014 Ride

2015 R1200RTW San Marino Blue Metallic/Granite Grey Metallic Matte
---
Prior: 2012 K1600GT (Pre-order bike #59)
Multiple K and R bikes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 17th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Re: Spring 2014 Ride

Alain,

That's a great story board. Really helps me live vicariously until I can get back in the saddle.

Give me some feedback on the GT ergonomics after a 400+ mile day - does the more aggressive riding position give you any discomfort? Thanks.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 29th, 2015, 8:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, Greg. I am working on a similar write-up for the NM/AZ trip I just got back from ...

I definitely like the GT - the engine is sublime. I did not like the more aggressive riding position for long tours, though: my knees in particular didn't handle 6+h in the saddle very "gracefully."

Other than that, the fairing on the GT was less protective than the RT fairing - definitely feel the difference when riding through a rain storm. The weight can be an issue - e.g. 3-point turns on tight crowned roads are a b*tch...

For these reasons (and nostalgia ) I did trade off my pre-order (#59) 2012 K16GT for the '15 R12RTW. I must admit, I did not miss the GT on my NM/AZ tour (9 days); yes, there is a slight vibration at some RPM ranges, which was not present on the GT, but it does not bother me.

The shift assist pro is great when running through tight mountain roads - not having to worry about the clutch on unfamiliar roads is actually a much greater asset than I originally thought! Also found a great alternate use for the hill start assist: when stopping to take photos, I put the hill assist on, and can keep both my feet on the ground to frame the photo etc. - again, a much bigger deal that I originally thought

Overall, the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the RT make it a much more "flickable" (IMO) ride than the GT was. Yes, **AT SPEED** the GT is quite nimble, but definitely not AS nimble as the RT; and at parking lot speeds, the GT is a handful...

Looking at the specs, with me on top, the GT weighed about 902# (732# per BMW + 170# for me), the RT 774# (604# unladen, road ready, per BMW). Per the BMW specs, the GT and RT come in at 160hp/129ft.lbs and 125hp/92ft.lbs, respectively. That translates to 5.6 lb/hp and 6.2 lb/hp, GT and RT respectively; in other words, the difference in power-specific weight is only about 0.6lb/hp. For the torque-specific weight, the difference comes to about 1.4 ft^{-1} (7 ft^{-1} GT vs. 8.4 ft^{-1} RT).

All that said, the FEEL of the two bikes when riding is very similar. I do ride the RT (in the twisties) typically at higher RPMs than I used to the GT, and it FEELS like the difference in power etc. is negligible; the difference in 'flickability' on the other hand is not (and I love the slow speed handling).

Final thought - With all this said, also do keep in mind that the seating position on the GTL is different than on the GT - upper torso more upright, and that fairing protection depends a lot on the rider's "dimensions" (I am 5ft 9", 170#)

---

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 30th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azari View Post
As I am getting ready for my 2015 Spring ride (separate thread, soon), I was looking back at my 2014 one. Fond memories, great riding!

Come along and enjoy the ride! (Note this was on my K1600GT) :

Alain's Spring 2014 Ride
Alain, your radar detector mount is a what? I just move to a Rt1200-2015 and my tech mount is not getting me any options.
Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old May 1st, 2015, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegai View Post
Alain, your radar detector mount is a what? I just move to a Rt1200-2015 and my tech mount is not getting me any options.
Thanks
On the GT, I was using a magnetic base to put the Redline on:

RAM Mount Universal Magnetic Power Plate III Holder
Model: RAP-300-1U SKU:RAP300-1

Besides that, I had it mounted to the clutch lever assembly (with a RAM ball) using a short arm, and a RAM ball mounted to the plate.

I have not re-mounted the Radar Detector to the RT (yet)...

---

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in