A love affair waiting to happen - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bandman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 27th, 2014, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

A love affair waiting to happen

My first ride on a BMW came in 1966 when my uncle gave me a ride on his R27, long seat. What a bike. Since that time I have had many bikes. In 1995, I bought my first BMW which was a K75C. My wife and I put many miles on that bike over the next 5 years but as we were getting a little older, the bike was shrinking. We needed a little more horsepower and a little more room. So, staying with a sport bike, I decided to add a K1200RS to my stable. My wife and I have been from Lake Superior to Key West on the K12RS. Since we have been retired or trips have been more frequent.

My wife started to have some pains in the hips and found riding on the back of the RS was not very comfortable any more so what do we do. I said, "if you want to continue riding we need to get a larger bike BUT I'm not getting rid of the
RS which was my "dream bike". I found a 2000 LT in Ohio which was in really great shape with very few miles on it. I contacted the owner for a time we could look at the bike. My wife and I set out on the 500 mile trip South to look at the bike."In October". We looked at the bike and we fell in love with it. I asked if the owner could take my wife around the block on the bike to see if she felt comfortable on it. When they came back, she had a big smile on her face. She loved it even if it was 40 degrees. So we bought the bike right there.

Next thing was to get the bike home, back to Escanaba in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My wife would drive the car behind me and I would ride the bike back. The next morning, we departed Perrysburg, Ohio. I only sat on the bike before but never rode it. Was I crazy? This was a huge bike compared to the RS and almost 300 pounds heavier. The weather quickly got worse. High cross winds, rain and temperatures were dropping. Two tank fill-ups and there we were, FACiNG the MIGHTY MACKINAW BRIDGE. I have been across the bridge many times but not in these conditions and Not on a bike of this size. It's now or never, so we started out. Incidentally, now it was 8:00P.M. with high winds and rain coming down harder. The crossing went well as did the rest of the trip. Now that was 8 years ago and we both are still in love with our beautiful LT. 80,000 miles later and we continue to have smiles while riding this mighty touring steed. At 67 I still continue to ride the K1200RS with great thrill but when my wife and I take trips the only way to go is on the Trusty KLT. We Love this bike!!!!!
cws, that_guy11 and Munmi like this.

Last edited by Bandman; Oct 27th, 2014 at 7:55 pm. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 27th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Re: A love affair waiting to happen

That is a GREAT story and could not agree with you more about the great riding BIG GIRL good old LT

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 3 Old May 1st, 2016, 5:03 am Thread Starter

Re: A love affair waiting to happen

Update to the story above. Still love the ride and protection of the LT but was replaced by a 2014 GTL. The ride is just as comfortable(for us) as the LT but we are addressing the wind issues. (aeroflow wings and mini winds) I absolutely love the new bike and so does my wife. Seems to be much easier for me to handle at 68
So our beautiful 2000 K1200LT is for sale along with the aluma trailer. All in excellent shape. Hopefully another good home awaits her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in