Astoria summary - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Astoria summary

I am going to attempt to summarize and highlight our trip.
First thing I noticed was that a twenty dollar bill goes farther in the states than in Canada and miles roll by a lot slower than Kilometers.

We had planned the trip based on six hour map days, with gas stops and rest that makes almost an eight hour day. We will probably revise this to a five hour map day.Two tanks of gas a day equals 700 KMS or 450 miles. We stop at a half tank and fill up. That makes for roughly a planned stop every two hours.

One of our objectives was to not have ridiculously long days and to not feel wiped out when we got home. This we accomplished.

My wife had three objectives on her bucket list: visit Leavensworth, visit Astoria Oregon, and visit Ainsworth hotsprings. This too we accomplished except that I took her to Cannon beach south of Astoria.

Starting in Stony Plain Alberta we headed south on 22 to Rocky Mtn House and then west on the David Thompson Highway. ( 11 ) We very much like this stretch of road. The first night we camped at Nordegg. Day two took us to the icefields parkway and thru Lake Louise and eventually down Highway93 all the way to Fort Steele, joining Highway 9 # ) the crowsnest to Creston BC.

Day three took us south on Washington 21 to Wilber and then west on 2 as far as Wenatchee. I knw what a oulee is, now I understand Grande Coulee, awsome topogrophy along there. We finished the day on 2 at Levensworth Wash. We had a great meal there, place to stay, serenade in the morning from an Alphorn Baesr and generally enjoyed the history and scenery.

Day four we headed south on 97 to Ellensburg and joining 821 along the Yakima river, both very nice rides. At Yakima we turned west on 12 as far as Randall Wash. In this section we came around a corner and there was a huge snowcone of a Mountian in front of us. I would say this was Old Snowy Mtn at 7930 feet. The road is called the White Pass scenic byway. At Randall we made a change of plan and headed south on 131 on the east side of Mount Saint Helens, 62 miles of 15-20-25 MPH almost a two hour journey, some care was needed but it was a nice sidetrip. This put os 503 to Woodland, A short sprint up the I5 to Keslo and Longview and onto 30 to Astoria and down 101 to Cannon Beach.
Again great accomodation, food, scenery and relaxation.

On Day five we headed up the west side of 101 up the Washington Peninsula all the way to Port Angeles and eventuall spending the night on Whidbey island at a B&B, again great people and food. This peninsula is much larger than I had expected but now I know.

Day six we headed west on 20, the Cascade Highway, Diablo Lake, as far as okanogon and then north on 97 To Oliver BC.

Day seven west on 3 the Crowsnest Highway to Castlegar then north on 3a and 31 to spend some time at Ainsworth Hotsprings. We continued on Northwesterly and spent the night at Nakusp, another of our favorite places to decompress. Spent the night and on day eight headed north to Revelstoke, then east on the Transcanada Highway ( 1 ) spending our last night in Cochrane Alberta. Today north on 22 thru Rocky Mtn House and back to Stony Plain. We were home by noon on Saturday and felt good coming to a beautiful home and overgrown lawn.

We met many interesting people along the way and had some very nice conversations, found great funky places to eat, had fantastic scenery and good weather.
A bit of drizzle when we left, maybe one hour of rain enroute and some small hail, 84-88-93 degree weather. Today we hit a cold spell and had to put he liners back in.

When it rains I lower the windshield to just see over it. I learned that by sitting upright and stretching my neck up that the pain at the base of my neck between my shoulder blades went away. I keep the screen up to eliminate noise so that I can talk with my wife and to reduce buffeting for her. When it gets stink hot the screen goes down, noise be dammed.

I set the tires at 44-48 and the tires are still nice and round, thank you Uncle Mark.
Also thanks to Darius and Muddiman and RKA. My wife says the Gerbings makes a miserable trip enjoyable.

When someone says ride safe, that is not a good luck token, that means protect your wife, do not put her in danger, keep her comfortable so she can enjoy the trip and if that means driving a bit slower, so be it. I still had a great enjoyable time.

The rag fix on the fork seal kept the calipers dry all the way.
Nine days and 4500 KMS and happy all the way.

I like the LD riding shorts but on a hot day they feel like I have longjohns on. When it gets too hot after many hours, call it a day before stupid braindead mistakes are made.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Eric and Marietta on Maxamillian.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Re: Astoria summary

Eric.. It sounds like you had a good ride into the Pacific Northwest States.
Thanks for coming down for a visit. I would consider some of those riding days to be quite long (Cannon Beach to Whidbey Island, on the 101). My Wife & I will be riding up to lake Crescent at the top of the Penninsula to stay at the historic Lake Crescent lodge for a couple of nights. It's a Very beautiful area.

So... What kind of tires are you using on the LT? How are they wearing?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama View Post
When someone says ride safe, that is not a good luck token, that means protect your wife, do not put her in danger, keep her comfortable so she can enjoy the trip and if that means driving a bit slower, so be it. I still had a great enjoyable time.
Amen. Usually they don't know how fast you're going.
Thanks for sharing. Was the ride through whidby island an easy, fun one? Or, an urban, ride like you're invisible and don't get runover workout?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
Eric.. It sounds like you had a good ride into the Pacific Northwest States.
Thanks for coming down for a visit. I would consider some of those riding days to be quite long (Cannon Beach to Whidbey Island, on the 101). My Wife & I will be riding up to lake Crescent at the top of the Penninsula to stay at the historic Lake Crescent lodge for a couple of nights. It's a Very beautiful area.

So... What kind of tires are you using on the LT? How are they wearing?
You must know about some tire stories in the northwest
Add mine. 2nd set 880 front and back. But had to get my 3rd rear in Missoula MT. That broke down to less than 9000 overall before seeing the white thread in spot and about 4- 5k of west coast miles.
Can I conclude that the states out west are hard on rubber. Sorry for the hijack
ride safe
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

I am using the Metzlers, never had a slip problem. I run 44 psi front and 48 psi in the rear. That has to be the best tire tip I have ever had. I draw the line at scraping the pegs because that is where my wife starts to get uncomfortable. when she feels I am going to fast she gives me the thighmaster. Message understood.

Whidbey Island was civilized as were most of our roads, the only harsh roads were the chip oiled roads other than that all pavement was good.

The whidbey Island stretch was long because we had to wait over an hour for the ferry and then the 40 minute ferry ride. We arrived at the B&B at ten PM, I called from the ferry and they waited up for us. We prefer to stay in quiet off the beaten path places s sometimes we move on a bit. That was our longest day but thoroughly enjoyable

Eric von Laue

1100 Honda Magna

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 4:54 pm

The chip seal surface is a tire killer (specially when it's fresh).
The 101 wore down my fairly used Metz to the threads in one day on the Olympic Peninsula a couple years ago. Had to get a new one in Sequamish Wa. But that's a story for another time.
I've lived in the PNW for 18 years now... haven't been to Leavenworth yet.
I hear it's nice. Where did you stay? Would you stay there again?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

We stayed at the Enzian iNN on the main drag, take your wife, learn the history of the town and enjoy.
AWESOME
The two smaller roads to Yakima from there, two thumbs up!!!

Eric von Laue

1100 Honda Magna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in