Renting an RT - Good Bad & Ugly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Renting an RT - Good Bad & Ugly

I am currently in the middle of an 18 day ride around the Pacific NW and California coast. I chose to leave my RT at home and rent one from Motoquest in Portland, to keep all my riding time out here. First the good: My '12 RT has run flawlessly, obviously well maintained, with new PR4s and brake pads. I notice it does have a bit more power than my '09 and the engine is generally a bit smoother. By the way, the PR4s did run well, as advertised, in the rain (and snow) we have encountered.

Now, the bad and ugly: Attention to detail is sadly lacking in a few places. First, the seat. I am tall and have equipped my bike with a Russell seat and lowered pegs. I was prepared for the "less comfortable" stock seat and stock pegs, but I was not prepared the seat to be missing the two rubber positioning "knobs" on the back, which effectively lowered the back of the seat, putting me in a less than ergonomically ideal position and causing my knees to be uncomfortably scrunched more than necessary. The solution - i had my wife Fedex my Russell seat to my two days forward hotel and now all is wonderful, and the stock seat rides out back. I recommend this action for anyone doing a longer term rental.

Next, I asked on several occasions if my rental RT included, or had available the RT trunk, so I could use my liner bag for ease of packing, etc. I was assured several times that it did not, and the website was silent on the issue - so, I paid $140 to Aerostich for a nice Wolfman waterproof (which is a great bag by the way). You can understand my chagrin when we walked out to the lot to see my rental bike - which included a nice trunk. Hmmm.

Finally, a routine re-entry into the US became a one hour slog when the customs agent noticed an anomaly on my rental papers. "Who is Philip Freeman?" he asked. "I dunno". "Well, he's the guy who has rented your bike, what are you doing on it?" and on it went. Apparently, Motoquest neglected to use a clean template when putting my rental agreement together. Phillip Freeman's rental and credit card info were all over it. Fortunately my name and signature was on the papers too - and it was two minutes after 5 when the agent decided to call Motoquest - no one answered so he finally decided to let me go. But the whole annoying incident could have been avoided with more attention to detail. Lesson learned - read the papers you are signing!!

Having said all this I would rent again from Motoquest - and I will offer this feedback to them in the interests of continuous improvement.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in