Passport 8500 Problems?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Passport 8500 Problems??

Whenever I am using the 2 y/o passport on the LT, it will automatically set the LASER detection off under hard acceleration. When I am using the passport in my truck, the LASER detection is set off whenever I honk the horn, accelerate hard, or turn the wipers on. It used to scare the &*%$ out of me, but now I have become annoyed.

Anyone ever have this problem or know how to fix?? Can the Passport be sent in for free upgrades/fixes like the Valentin can??

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by michman; Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:09 am. Reason: additional question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:44 am

I have a V1 that goes off in my car whenever I beep the horn. I have not figured it out yet.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:44 pm

I'm no expert on these matters, but I do know that the V1 is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and or any kind of intermittant short/fault in the power supply. Could that be the source of your mystery alerts?

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:43 am Thread Starter

I am assuming so because it is only doing it during voltage shifts. I was just curious if others had the problem and if it could be cured. Thanks for the replies.

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:42 pm

Question 8500 mystery

Had some similar issues when the 8500 is hooked up to the LED unit in my helmet. Whenever I engage the "Push to Talk" button for my Kenwood FRS, it sets off the radar-- LED in my helmet. Not sure of the cause just yet-- sure open to any ideas. No issues otherwise.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:28 am
Cat Herder

Garage
HI There, I have an older Passport (not the 8500) and I had an issue with the laser going off all of the time. I sent it back to Cincinnati Microwave and they repaired it for free. CM is now partners with Bell Labs... tvguy

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:20 am

I have mine on the dash board of my Jeep. It does the same thing yours does with the laser going off when it want's to. I believe mine does it when it lays in the windshield of the jeep for a couple hours (here in AZ) and the temps are in the 100's and higher. I unplug it and let it cool off for a while and it's fine. On occasion it has messaged that it needs service. I am also not able to set the laser to "off".

You think maybe it's time to send it in for service?

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Question Radar

My 8500 goes off all the time after sitting in the sun, When I leave work in the summer it shows needs service, I expect to send to CM for service and have quit using it as I believe it is unreliable now. My other car has a live power source so it is on all the time, I had fewer issues when unplugged

Do you think it needs CM service due to the heat?
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by michman
Whenever I am using the 2 y/o passport on the LT, it will automatically set the LASER detection off under hard acceleration. When I am using the passport in my truck, the LASER detection is set off whenever I honk the horn, accelerate hard, or turn the wipers on. It used to scare the &*%$ out of me, but now I have become annoyed.

Anyone ever have this problem or know how to fix?? Can the Passport be sent in for free upgrades/fixes like the Valentin can??
I've got a X-50 and it does not do that.
I do know they are very sensitive becasue of all the new radar out there, my pop goes off sometimes in farm area's

Tom

wish i were more help.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:05 pm

My 8500 does it some times on the LT and did also on a RT.

Interesting- it always seemed to be with the sun at a particular angle to the bike so I attribute it to refracturing of the the sun through the windshield (both on CB Baley).

Never happens in car w/o cop with gun.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in