Radar Alerter for K1200LT - Home Made - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Radar Alerter for K1200LT - Home Made

In another thread (click here to view) I asked for guidance on building an annunciator for the Valentine One on my K1200LT.

I was pointed to the Marc Parnes LED alerter and also the Radar Screamer audio device.

Further checking of the web led me to some homemade versions. I tinkered with this over the weekend, and this drawing represents what I made. Combines both auxiliary LED and audio alerts.

Some debug help is needed, though.

Is the capacitor in the correct place? The siren chirps, but quickly fades. The original designs I found did not show the capacitor, but other referenced it to provide quick and sufficient power to chirp the alarm, but did not show where in the circuit to place it. The source materials reference using a 9v battery as power source, so the 8 x AA battery block I am using for testing should be more than adequate.

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT-RadarScreamerMake-130519-Diagram-IMG_3581.JPG
Views:	2374
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	38576  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Radar Alerter for K1200LT - Home Made

That is because the capacitor does not pass DC current. If any thing put it across the relay contacts, not in line with the circuit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Tony,

+1 on what John said, think of the capacitor as an assist to the battery to give the alarm a jolt to get going. Put it across the relay contacts. Btw what size and type cap is it?

Not sure you really need it though, try it without the cap. I also am assuming the LED has an in line resistor to limit the current.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Here is something I did a few years ago, it's still working good

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Tony,

+1 on what John said, think of the capacitor as an assist to the battery to give the alarm a jolt to get going. Put it across the relay contacts. Btw what size and type cap is it?

Not sure you really need it though, try it without the cap. I also am assuming the LED has an in line resistor to limit the current.
The cap is 4700uF Electrolytic. Rat Shack p/n 272-1022.

Does it matter which direction the cap lays, i.e. is it polarity sensitive (has a big arrow on the body)?

When you say across the relay contacts, do you mean input or output? Only one output (12v) on relay. Siren picks up negative from battery.

Yes, the LED has a resistor.

GUess I need to read up on capacitors.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Here is something I did a few years ago, it's still working good
That is pretty cool, Hans, thank you.

The siren I have is about 120db, so I doubt I will need an amplifier. Same concept beyond that, picking up the voltage from V1 Aux Audio device and using that voltage to trip the relay and feed 12VDC to the siren. Capacitor is to give it full power when first switching on, since the tone will be pulsed just as the existing audio is.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #7 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:41 pm

You definitely need a flux capacitor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or7P9jfhcZ0

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

I may very well need one of those, Brother G. That way, if I get pulled over, I can simply jump to another time line!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #9 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
The cap is 4700uF Electrolytic. Rat Shack p/n 272-1022.

Does it matter which direction the cap lays, i.e. is it polarity sensitive (has a big arrow on the body)?

When you say across the relay contacts, do you mean input or output? Only one output (12v) on relay. Siren picks up negative from battery.

Yes, the LED has a resistor.

GUess I need to read up on capacitors.
Yes it is sensitive but if you speak gently... no wait. The arrow should point to the (-) end. No real need for it in the circuit just take it out. Didn't realize how big it was.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Quote:
I may very well need one of those, Brother G. That way, if I get pulled over, I can simply jump to another time line!
Wouldn't that be cool to preemptively go to traffic school?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 17 Old May 20th, 2013, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

It would be cooler still to avoid it in the first place.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #12 of 17 Old May 21st, 2013, 1:53 am Thread Starter

So.......... back on topic.

I looked at a few online resources about capacitors, and I know of several construction techniques.

Alas, I am no closer to understanding how to hook one into my gizmo. I remain hopeful one of my brethren here will fill in the missing bits so I CAN MOVE FORWARD.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 17 Old May 21st, 2013, 5:45 am

Quote:
The proper response is to nail the throttle and get to 88mph, not stop

Oh... and watch out for the re-entry landing...

Anyway, on a more serious note, I did a radar/laser certification course over the weekend with one of the newest Kustom radars, a Ka band stationary and moving mode. It was an eye-opening experience to actually play with this thing and see what its capabilities are. It will lock on vehicles either approaching or going away from the unit, and can track several targets, largest and fastest. Motorcycles are an easy target to clock. The range is also impressive, multiple good hits on target vehicles at well over a mile. In other words, if the officer can see you, he can clock you. There is a "trigger" mode that does not radiate so radar detectors will not see the signal until you have been clocked.

Net result of all this is that the detectors on the market are good for alerting you that there is a radar nearby, and can save a ticket if you are not the primary target the officer has visually identified and estimated speed first. Being in a group will not save you if you are the fastest target.

A really fun feature of the radars is the doppler tone the unit emits through a speaker. You can actually estimate speed by the pitch of the tone without looking at the digital indicator, and you can hear vehicles stomp on the brakes when their detectors go off. Actually this makes a great detector detector ! Higher pitch tone = higher speed, and when the brakes are stomped, the tone pitch lowers as deceleration occurs.

My net impression now being certified on the unit is this: Save your money for other farkles. Radar detectors are essentially useless unless you want to know when to stop for your ticket.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; May 21st, 2013 at 6:02 am.
post #14 of 17 Old May 21st, 2013, 6:52 am Thread Starter

As a long-time certified Police Doppler Radar Instructor, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that "Radar detectors are essentially useless unless you want to know when to stop for your ticket."

Radar detectors, when properly used, can be an effective tool. They are not foolproof, and they are certainly not license to break speed laws.

I am open to discussion on this topic, but, please, take it to email or start a new thread for that conversation; I would prefer that this thread get back on-topic so that I might receive counsel on resolving the technical challenge I am facing with my latest project. You can reach me via email @ aol.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #15 of 17 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:23 pm

Electrolytic caps have polarity because of what is used inside them. you get large capactance for their size. If you reverse polarity on them they puke out some of their insides.

Non electrolytics do not have polarity.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 8:12 pm

Thanks for excellent relevant info.
"Being in a group will not save you if you are the fastest target." If you are a nail sticking out of a group, yer gonna get hammered!

"Actually this makes a great detector detector ! Higher pitch tone = higher speed, and when the brakes are stomped, the tone pitch lowers as deceleration occurs."

since the tone will be pulsed just as the existing audio is

connect the capacitor in parallel with the relay as when the power is switched off the relay will stay energized for a few seconds. The time it will remain energized depends on the capacitors value, the resistance of the relays coil and the pull-out voltage of the relay.

Motors have caps to provide an extra jolt to get the armature spinning. Your pizo buzzer doesn't need anything extra to get her excited.

Caps remove pulses from dc, + portion connected to DC, negative connected to ground.

You find caps in some auto amplifiers because the demand for current can fluctuate with the music.

Some of those set ups are running parallel 0 gauge wire to the amps.

My rudimentary understanding is from playing with circuits based upon vacuum tubes, valves for our friends not hampered with American English. Xsistor stuff makes my head spin.

At one time converting ac to dc involved rectifier tubes, pass only one portion of the ac signal, caps to drain peaks of pulses and chokes, coils to smooth the flow...wallaaaaah DC.

It's still magic to me.

Once it goes from electrons flowing from negative to positive to holes, my head aches!! Electron as a cloud?!! Pass the Advil PLEASE!

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 8:40 pm

Quote:

and since you're no longer riding a Harley, you actually have a good chance of getting to 88mph!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in