Sena & V1 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 19th, 2013, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Sena & V1

Does anyone know if the V1 optional Bluetooth audio remote unit works with the Sena unit? Their website says it is for the Android, but I am hopeful that it would sync with my Sena also ... fingers crossed.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 19th, 2013, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Re: Sena & V1

Did what I should have done in the first place and called V1. Answer is no. Their BT connectivity is for the visual display on an Android, the audio unit is simply a separate speaker and headphone jack, but no BT for audio to Sena.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 19th, 2013, 2:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You need a Sena SR10 Bluetooth Adapter to do that . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 8:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

I am planning on getting their audio out unit and connect the output to my Zumo mount. This way, I should get the V1 audio from the Zumo.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG
I am planning on getting their audio out unit and connect the output to my Zumo mount. This way, I should get the V1 audio from the Zumo.
I ordered the audio remote yesterday and will definitely try it thru my Zumo, good idea. I also received this e mail reply from V1 yesterday:

Q: Will the remote audio unit work with the Sena helmet mounted Bluetooth unit?
A: I can't give you a specific answer on this but I know that other Bluetooth helmets
have used the Remote Audio Adapter.

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #6 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady
I ordered the audio remote yesterday and will definitely try it thru my Zumo, good idea. I also received this e mail reply from V1 yesterday:

Q: Will the remote audio unit work with the Sena helmet mounted Bluetooth unit?
A: I can't give you a specific answer on this but I know that other Bluetooth helmets
have used the Remote Audio Adapter.
Question: How do you match the "audio adapter" to the Zumo when the Zumo only has an audio output and a microphone input? The audio adapter I've seen for the VI is wired and the new Bluetooth unit is only usable with an app, therefore neither will work through the Zumo as far as I can tell.

From V-1:
"V1connection is a Bluetooth®-enabled module about the size of your thumb. A three-inch cable is included to plug into the ACC jack of V1's power adapter. This module communicates wirelessly with your Android hand-held when you've installed the necessary application, which we call V1connection, the app. Download is free. Go to the "Play Store" on your Android device."

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #7 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Question: How do you match the "audio adapter" to the Zumo when the Zumo only has an audio output and a microphone input? The audio adapter I've seen for the VI is wired and the new Bluetooth unit is only usable with an app, therefore neither will work through the Zumo as far as I can tell.

From V-1:
"V1connection is a Bluetooth®-enabled module about the size of your thumb. A three-inch cable is included to plug into the ACC jack of V1's power adapter. This module communicates wirelessly with your Android hand-held when you've installed the necessary application, which we call V1connection, the app. Download is free. Go to the "Play Store" on your Android device."
Turns out the V1Connection is not audio, but an app for Android to replicate the visual arrows, bogey count, etc. The remote is the audio piece and I thought I would try linking thru the available jacks on the remote and Zumo. If it doesn't work My Sena will have to be wired to the remote.

Waiting for UPS like a kid for my V1 remote, Pelican Case (to mount V1 in) and Eastern Beaver PC8 deliveries :-)

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #8 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Looks like this may be needed:

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/cab55.html

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #9 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Looks like this may be needed:

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/cab55.html
What for? I have Zumo 550, and the mount has a 2.5 mm audio input (mic., if you like). All you need is a mono (or stereo) cable. I have a standard mono cable with 3.5 mm jacks at both ends, but I do have a 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm adapter, and so that should work quite fine.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #10 of 17 Old Apr 20th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG
What for? I have Zumo 550, and the mount has a 2.5 mm audio input (mic., if you like). All you need is a mono (or stereo) cable. I have a standard mono cable with 3.5 mm jacks at both ends, but I do have a 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm adapter, and so that should work quite fine.
The "mic" is just that. It is not an audio in that you can listen from but you can transmit through it when you bluetooth your phone.Plugging in your V1 or anything else will not be heard in the helmet speakers.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #11 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:12 am

I hard wired my radar detector and Zumo 665 to a SM10 and paired the SM10 to my SHM10 on my helmet.
This allows for stereo sound from the Zumo (especially if you get sat radio) and works well if you don't need a 2-way radio setup like Ken's.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 17 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:52 am

I have a Zumo 665 and V1 with J& M BY Headset.

I prefer this to the V1 beeping in my helmet. from Marc Parnes

http://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm

I have it mounted with 3m interlock on top of my Touratech locking Zumo mount which is all mounted on a BMR co-pilot shelf.

The 5 Led's are damn near right in my line of sight and mimic the the lights on the V!.

I'll take a pic & post it!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 26th, 2013, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Status Update - Enjoying the project ... Still waiting on the Eastern Beaver PC8, but the audio remote arrived today. Another wrinkle I hadn't thought of though. When the V1 audio is tethered to my Sena it overrides the BT signal 100% of the time .. Can't live without Pandora through my iPhone to the Sena.

I am thinking I will hook up a speaker for the V1 audio remote behind one of the empty speaker grills.

I ended up purchasing a Pelican box (tip from DSHealy) and using some of my existing RAM mounts in the mirror hole to mount. I did some work on the box with a Dremel tool to remove some molded fasteners, open up for wiring access, etc, but am pretty pleased with the result. I haven't used it yet to confirm readout visibility and range is still good (and not blocked by the lid molding). Guessing I will end up with a remote readout also though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	38362   Click image for larger version

Views:	70
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	38363   Click image for larger version

Views:	160
Size:	962.8 KB
ID:	38364   Click image for larger version

Views:	129
Size:	1,014.9 KB
ID:	38365  

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

Last edited by CWRoady; Apr 26th, 2013 at 4:15 pm.
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 26th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Are there any concerns about heat in the Pelican box, or did you drill ventilation holes on the bottom?
I would suspect the V1 generates some level of heat just like other electronics.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 17 Old Apr 26th, 2013, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Are there any concerns about heat in the Pelican box, or did you drill ventilation holes on the bottom?
I would suspect the V1 generates some level of heat just like other electronics.
No, I didnt drill ventilation holes. I did put a couple of holes for wiring access and I will keep an eye on things like heat, stability, etc. until I have confidence in the setup. Another member here, David Shealey told me he ran 100,000 miles with a V1 permanently mounted inside the Plican box without issue, so that gives me a fair amount of confidence that heat won't be a significant issue.

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #16 of 17 Old Apr 26th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Status Update - Enjoying the project ... Still waiting on the Eastern Beaver PC8, but the audio remote arrived today. Another wrinkle I hadn't thought of though. When the V1 audio is tethered to my Sena it overrides the BT signal 100% of the time .. Can't live without Pandora through my iPhone to the Sena.

I am thinking I will hook up a speaker for the V1 audio remote behind one of the empty speaker grills.

I ended up purchasing a Pelican box (tip from DSHealy) and using some of my existing RAM mounts in the mirror hole to mount. I did some work on the box with a Dremel tool to remove some molded fasteners, open up for wiring access, etc, but am pretty pleased with the result. I haven't used it yet to confirm readout visibility and range is still good (and not blocked by the lid molding). Guessing I will end up with a remote readout also though.
GEt the Marc Parnes LED's you don't need sound!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #17 of 17 Old May 3rd, 2013, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

One thing I really like about the V1 lights is the arrows indicating direction of the signal detected as well as the bogie count, it doesn't look like the other option retains those functions.

The unit definitely gets warm in the Pelican Box. It also makes it difficult to see the afore mentioned arrows. I did fabricate a speaker mount out of sheet metal and install a speaker and remote audio. I have also ordered a magnetic RAM mount so I can use the box if precipitation is expected, but otherwise mount without the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	38432  

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in