$1.25 V1 Weather Protection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:38 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Post $1.25 V1 Weather Protection

I was in Tap Plastics and found a plastic hinged box (style FT-104) that my V1 radar detector would fit in. Since it was only a buck I thought I would give it a try.

First of all I use a Saeng/TA Boss Pro mount on the right handlebar. The Saeng mount is clean and offers a platform with velcro and a rubber tubing to hold V1 secure. To secure the plastic box I used a small portion of velcro on the inside to keep the V1 from floating around and a piece of velcro on the bottom with the tubing across the top for final security. My power cord is routed through a 3/4 inch rubber plug made into a grommet to keep the weather out.

My concerns were as follows:

Would the opaque box cause an interruption in the signal reception:

The V1 worked well throughout the day. My reception from both front and back worked as well in the box as it did out of it.

How hard would the box make adjusting the V1:

The door was easy to open and close and the controls were easy to reach and operate.

Would I be able to see the LED display on the V1:

With the door closed I could make out the directional arrows just fine. The signal type LED's were hard at first, but after memorizing the location of each I was fine with the door closed. When riding without rain I was able to leave the door open.

This is with V1 on the mount:

This is with the "door" open:

Conclusion:

For a buck-&-a quarter I feel better about riding around the Pacific NorthWet without one of these gully washers ruining my V1 investment.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Sorry abt this being a first post ! I have a Kustom K band mobile radar and have found that is will just not function (no readout) if the windshield of my car is in the least bit wet. I don't know about the more modern Ka band stuff but I suspect they also will not work in the rain.

I just put my Valentine away when the weather gets damp as I figure the above will probably disable most radar. Besides which I slow in damp weather
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:30 am

The Valentine WILL work in the rain and thru wet windshields.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Ya, what Grif said... Mine works like a champ in the rain.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #5 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:25 pm

I guess you didn't understand, the Valentine works fine through wet windshields but the police K band radar will not. So if the police can't use their radar in the rain, do you need to get your Valentine wet ?
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Correct. EXCEPT, I found out that it will not work through the windshield of my 740iL car, unless put right behind the little clear spot at the center bottom. Seems BMW uses "IR" coated windshields on the higher end cars to cut down on IR light transmission, keeping the inside of the car cooler in sunlight. It WORKS! HUGE difference in the heat you can feel from the sun behind that windshield and the one in my other car.

BUT, that coating also blocks RF, so radar detectors and GPS units will not work behind it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 5:12 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker
I guess you didn't understand, the Valentine works fine through wet windshields but the police K band radar will not. So if the police can't use their radar in the rain, do you need to get your Valentine wet ?
I guess I didn't understand. Right you are. I still don't understand, because the police in this state use K and Ka all the time and we get more average rainfall than anywhere else in the country. Help me to understand your position and please support your facts. I have never heard this K band and the rain issue before.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #8 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:31 am

Well, I have a Kustom KR 10-SP forward looking K band radar unit. It has two readouts, one for you and one for the target. It is instant on or continuous and can be used stationary and mobile. When it starts to rain, both readouts remain at zero until the windshield is dry. I've not tried putting the radar transmit head outside during rain so I suppose it's possible that might work. I've not seen an outside (hung from the window etc) for sometime now as all the police here have their setups on their dash.

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 5:37 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker
Well, I have a Kustom KR 10-SP forward looking K band radar unit. It has two readouts, one for you and one for the target. It is instant on or continuous and can be used stationary and mobile. When it starts to rain, both readouts remain at zero until the windshield is dry. I've not tried putting the radar transmit head outside during rain so I suppose it's possible that might work. I've not seen an outside (hung from the window etc) for sometime now as all the police here have their setups on their dash.
Very interesting. I just drove home in a heavy shower and the V1 is mounted on the windshield of my Dodge PU and the pesky motorcycle LEO was in his usual spot. He hit me with a Ka band at 1/4 and 1/8 mile out. The V1 worked marvelously well.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #10 of 11 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 5:41 pm

HornHonker Keep Honking

Hey there,
I have been a LEO for 9.5yrs and I have NEVER had an issue in rain with K, Ka, or Laser.
We do not have any "window hangers" in our force anymore, they were removed with the last batch of officers that retired. All of our units are internal and all of our units work well in the rain. My forward and reverse head is mounted on the top left corner of my windshield. I run Kustom Golden Eagle with Vascar. NEVER a problem.

I would check YOUR unit. We had an officer whos unit would not show a Target read in the oncoming mode. Yet he can tag em passing from his rear head. Yet the front head would work stationary. So, they replaced his front antenna and he was good to go. I would wait for your semi-annual certification and bring it up to them.

Rain does not have ANY effect on Doppler......if so... then all them News Channels that advertise "Doppler radar" can only report on nice sunny days.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 6:49 pm

98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA

For a buck-&-a quarter
Kinda ugly looks like something Rock made,
TILL YOU GET TO PRICE!!
For $1.25, it has to be one of the best things I've seen this year.
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in