V1 Windshield mount.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Question V1 Windshield mount....

I'm getting ready to head out on my first "long" ride. Since I'll be crossing 6 states, I thought I might pull the V1 from the car and put it on the bike - when the inevitable question of mounting came up. I've had the suction cup mount in my car for a couple of years and it has never broken loose. What do you guys think about using that mount (just above the instrument cluster) on the windshield of my LT? Has anyone tried this? Since it's temporary I thought this might work. BTW, I know it's unprotected from the weather....then again, I'll simply stow it away if I encounter rain as I rarely exceed the speed limit in the wet stuff. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: V1 Windshield mount....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorprime27
I'm getting ready to head out on my first "long" ride. Since I'll be crossing 6 states, I thought I might pull the V1 from the car and put it on the bike - when the inevitable question of mounting came up. I've had the suction cup mount in my car for a couple of years and it has never broken loose. What do you guys think about using that mount (just above the instrument cluster) on the windshield of my LT? Has anyone tried this? Since it's temporary I thought this might work. BTW, I know it's unprotected from the weather....then again, I'll simply stow it away if I encounter rain as I rarely exceed the speed limit in the wet stuff. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

I use a garmin nuvi 250 with a suction mount on the screen just above the instruments. I have never seen it fall off provided the bond has a complete ring on the suction cup, visible from the front. Also because of the position tucked under the screen generally it does nor get wet. Just put a safety cord to the windscreen mount.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluainsi
I use a garmin nuvi 250 with a suction mount on the screen just above the instruments. I have never seen it fall off provided the bond has a complete ring on the suction cup, visible from the front. Also because of the position tucked under the screen generally it does nor get wet. Just put a safety cord to the windscreen mount.
Sorry thought you were talking about a SatNav.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I tried my Valentine on the windshield with the suction mount,
it came of when I hit some rough road,
I mounted mine on the right side handlebar so it can still see behind me with this mount.
It works very well.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 4:14 pm

On my R 12 C I have my Valentine attached with lock and loop (super Velcro) to the clutch resevoir cover. On the R 12 RT it is attached to the top of the "dash" with lock and loop. Never had a problem. I also use a Legal Speeding cover for waterproofing. For a windshield mount, rather than trust suction cups, look at the Legal Speeding windshield mount system.

http://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm#AWM

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 2:57 pm

It won't work.... I tried it several times different ways.... even with new cups.... it always works it's way loose.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 4:20 pm
Gold Supporter

Mounting it is one problem, hearing it is entirely different. I went with a RAM mount from Cycle Gagets and a Radar Screamer. I put the unit on my right handle bar like Hans, so it can still receive to the rear, but I put it in a weatherproof box (Legal Speeding). When not in use you can remove the RAM mount, box and all. All the mounts, Radar Screamer and box are available at Cyclegagets and they will treat you right.

Besides once you get used to having it on the bike you will probably want to keep it on there.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 5:15 pm

I mounted my detector in the Legal Speeding moto locker radar box and used the Marc Parnes Visual Alert. Mounted it all on my added on dash tray and hardwired the detector into my electrical system. Just did a trip from GA to CA and back (5000 mi) with no problems, it all worked great. I attached the visual alert with velcro on two sides so I could position the alert at different angles for day vs. night. I could see the visual alert in the daytime and at night it will blind you if you don't reposition it. I really liked the way it all worked for about $140 total. Ordered it all from www.cyclenutz.com.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2010, 3:03 pm

I mounted mine using the RAM magnetic mount and an arm connected to my Migsel. It comes with a magnetic plate that you attach to the RD and it sticks to the plate like glue. It won't come off unless you want it to come off.

You don't need a Migsel, you could mount the RAM plate and ball to the handlebar or other location. I bought it at Cycle Gadgets. (Hope that was ok). Hope this helps.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in