false laser alerts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 29th, 2007, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

false laser alerts

I am having issues with a Bel RX65 giving me false laser alerts with the K1200lt

I have the detector velcro'd above the map light. I pulled power from the map light.

I think the angle of the sun and the polycarbonate of the stock windshield is having an effect of giving me false alerts. I seem to get this alert with sun at my back and the screen fully up.

My detector is about 1" back from the screen, sometimes less.

Has anyone else remotely had the same symptoms?

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 29th, 2007, 11:44 pm

I've noticed a couple times when I have re-installed my v1 in my car I would drive into the sun at the same time every day in the same place I would get a false laser. I also got a bunch of falses with the x-50 driving into the sun one morning on the bike I got a bunch of falses but attributed it to the construction zone I was driving through.
They must be tuned pretty tightly though because your run of the mill laser pointer won't set them off.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #3 of 6 Old May 30th, 2007, 1:02 pm

I have the Bel RX65 as well and also get the false signals. Primarily when the sun is behind me, close to the horizon and there is a vehicle in front of me. It's not bad enough to cause concern. It's usually pretty obvious it is a false alarm.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)

post #4 of 6 Old May 30th, 2007, 7:25 pm

I never had a false Laser alert from the sun on my V1, but it was absolutely the best General Motors SUV brake light detector on the market! Seems the high brake light on the newer GM SUV line is emitting light in the right frequency band to fool the V1. I finally just turned off laser detection on the V1, due to hundreds of GM detections, to just ONE actual laser speed meter detection in 4 years use.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old May 31st, 2007, 9:58 am Thread Starter

I never thought about a rear brakelight I am going to try and cover the rear laser sensor to see if it cuts it off. I also thought about painting the upper edge of the screen to prevent light passing through it like fiber optics.

anyway it is going off so frequently that I might as well switch it off as I wouldn't slow for a laser alert now if there was a speed trap.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

post #6 of 6 Old May 31st, 2007, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug66
I never thought about a rear brakelight I am going to try and cover the rear laser sensor to see if it cuts it off. I also thought about painting the upper edge of the screen to prevent light passing through it like fiber optics.

anyway it is going off so frequently that I might as well switch it off as I wouldn't slow for a laser alert now if there was a speed trap.

Ian
It is the front laser detector that finds all the GM SUVs. If you are close behind one, the laser detector goes off every time they hit the brakes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in