Radar detector mount photos - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Radar detector mount photos

The radar detector mount is made of aluminum round stock, 1-1/4 round stock and sheet metal. The finish is bare, beadblasted.

How its mounted: When you remove the top handlebar cover youll see a piece of metal that is welded to the handlebar that supports the bolt for the lower handlebar cover. I drilled a hole in this support and installed a 10-32 bolt from the bottom, tightened a nut on it leaving an inch of threads exposed. I center drilled the rod 1 deep and tapped it for a 10-32 bolt. I drilled a hole in the top handlebar cover in direct alignment with the bolt. The rod can now be inserted thru this hole and screwed onto the 10-32 bolt (I cut a slot in the top of the rod to accept a screwdriver). The platform is made with a piece of sheet metal, slightly smaller then the radar detector. Below the platform is a piece of 1-1/4 round stock drilled to accept the support rod and side drilled and tapped for a set screw to lock it to the rod. The platform is attached to the round stock with flathead screws. The piece of metal that is welded to handlebar is not parallel to the ground, so I sanded the 1-1/4" piece at an angle to compensate for this and make the platform level.

Bruce Hodges
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0495.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	10238   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0496.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	10239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0499.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	10240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0500.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	10241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0502.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	10242  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 9:17 am

EXcellent job. i don't think i've seen a better setup.

2000 red K1200RS
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:45 am

Man, is that a palm to the forehead and a 'V-8 juice' post or what?! I'da never thought of that. Real creativity, Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

Best

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 7:30 pm

Bruce

Just had to say great job!
Thanks for sharing.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Excellant job. I used the mirror mount hole on the handle bar but it partially gets in the way of the mirror. this moves it out of the way.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 20th, 2007, 8:40 am

Very nice Job indeed. I'd be tempted to install a rubber gromet in the handel bar cover to finish the job off. It might keep water from running into the handel bar cover. Classy work for sure.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Very nice!!!

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:59 pm

Is there a reason why you didn't just use a longer bolt and not add the rod?
Also, I don't know if you are aware of higher tensile strength of certain epoxy resins over that of even steel. There is a 5 minute tube available at wally world in the paint section ffr.
Just curious. Great job btw.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Is there a reason why you didn't just use a longer bolt and not add the rod?
Also, I don't know if you are aware of higher tensile strength of certain epoxy resins over that of even steel. There is a 5 minute tube available at wally world in the paint section ffr.
Just curious. Great job btw.
A longer bolt the size I used would be too small to support the radar detector and the attachment point at the handlebar is not large enough for a adequate bolt. But the main problem is that the rod/bolt needs to be removable in order to install the handlebar cover. The handlebar cover slides into a slot at the lower front then arcs down towards the handlebar controls. Because of this arc the hole in the handlebar cover does not line up with the attachment bolt below it until its in its final position - you cant install the cover with the rod/bolt in place. The hole in the handlebar cover is a tight fit around the rod. This is important because the handlebar cover keeps the rod from moving laterally giving it great strength.

Im not sure what you mean with regard to epoxy resins. I am very familiar with commercial grade epoxies and the over-the-counter stuff you mentioned. Please explain.

Bruce Hodges
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 3:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
A longer bolt the size I used would be too small to support the radar detector and the attachment point at the handlebar is not large enough for a adequate bolt. But the main problem is that the rod/bolt needs to be removable in order to install the handlebar cover. The handlebar cover slides into a slot at the lower front then arcs down towards the handlebar controls. Because of this arc the hole in the handlebar cover does not line up with the attachment bolt below it until its in its final position - you cant install the cover with the rod/bolt in place. The hole in the handlebar cover is a tight fit around the rod. This is important because the handlebar cover keeps the rod from moving laterally giving it great strength.

Im not sure what you mean with regard to epoxy resins. I am very familiar with commercial grade epoxies and the over-the-counter stuff you mentioned. Please explain.

Bruce Hodges
I just meant that the threads are not necessarily necessary.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:17 pm

Re: Radar detector mount photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
But the main problem is that the rod/bolt needs to be removable in order to install the handlebar cover. The handlebar cover slides into a slot at the lower front then arcs down towards the handlebar controls. Because of this arc the hole in the handlebar cover does not line up with the attachment bolt below it until its in its final position - you cant install the cover with the rod/bolt in place.

Bruce Hodges
gotcha

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in