Are radar detectors useful anymore? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Booger man
  • 1 Post By joekahng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Are radar detectors useful anymore?

Hey everyone,

I've got space available on the bike and would like to add a radar detector, but I've read some recent articles that suggest there's too much interference from things like adaptive cruise control, mirror blind spot detectors, etc. What's your experience, and would you suggest they're still a useful addition?

Many thanks,
Devin

2009 BMW K1200LT "Midnight"
Gone but not forgotten...
2007 BMW K1200LT (sold due to ABS failure)
2005 BMW K1200LT (sold due to move)
1998 BMW R1200C (sold due to move)
1995 Honda Nighthawk
1976 Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Re: Are radar detectors useful anymore?

The newer ones are better at dealing with items you listed. Mine has saved my butt more than a few times.....but they are not bulletproof. You have think smart with them. They won’t help much with lasers, they will just let you know you have been tagged. Look at some of the ones that just came out in the last year or so from Uniden as they are getting good reviews.
joekahng likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmitche View Post
Hey everyone,

I've got space available on the bike and would like to add a radar detector, but I've read some recent articles that suggest there's too much interference from things like adaptive cruise control, mirror blind spot detectors, etc. What's your experience, and would you suggest they're still a useful addition?

Many thanks,
Devin
So many choices for detectors out there...I would go to the Vortex Radar channel on youtube; he really gets into these things (as well as dashcams and laser jammers). He doesn't do motorcycle-specific stuff.

But you are correct when mentioning that these new gadgets on cars these days can interfere with detectors. There are several that deal with those things, some better than others. Some detectors aren't even detectable by radar detector detectors, meaning you can use them (still illegally, of course), in places like VA.

Lots of information to catch up on.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I use the Valentine 1, and have no issues at all with the interference! There are many reasons as to why this particular brand is good (but far from inexpensive), but relating to interference, the unit can be programmed to ignore certain signals (like what is being emitted from modern cars) by their signatures.

Valentine One Radar Detector Never Gets Obsolete

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 7th, 2019, 1:11 pm

i know i wont be protected by laser... but i still use mine ALL the time.
i turn off the K and the X band detection, so i only use the Ka band.

i've been told "some" police still uses K or the X band but.... i dont speed THAT much...
where i live, southern CA, Ka band is what most seem to use.

it saved me from tickets few time in CA, and few times also in Nevada and Arizona, so its been well worth it.
Booger man likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmitche View Post
Hey everyone,

Many thanks,
Devin
I have a V1, and find it very very useful. Not against laser, but in the hills, it helps with rolling Ka, as I have it restricted to only monitor Ka. I would say it has saved me at least 3 times, where I might have ticked the speed up a bit on a 55MPH road, but picked up a signal miles down the road. I let some other fool take the ticket.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Garage

Running the WAZE App, especially in more urban areas with good cell signal and a concentration of traffic can be better than a radar detector at times. Still false alarms when law enforcement moves from marked locations but it sometimes indicates they are still in the area or up the road now. The additional benefit is the early warning of hazards on and off the road. A marked hazard indicated in WAZE has certainly helped me avoid a surprise of pieces of a retread tire or large object/pothole on the road.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Were it me, I'd really like to see a Bluetooth hook up to my headphones and smartphone, or second choice would be to mount one to my helmet, so I could hear it go off, since I like to keep my eyes on the other drivers.

I don't know which brand I would choose. These are my IGoFaster four commandments... which thus far has worked well...

IF IGoFaster...I

1. NEVER am the fastest guy on the road
2. Follow the fastest guy...at a safe distance
3. Persuade someone else to follow the second fastest guy (me) (to feed to the wolves)
4. Look 20 seconds ahead, watch out at on ramps where cops like to hide, watch out going over hills

I REALLY LIKE the idea of using social media apps to report on road hazards like (citation dispensers).

Hope that is helpful...and good luck!
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Valentine 1 is the only way to go. $400 from Valentine's website. Read their website. Lots of great info. You can turn frequencies off or on depending on your area.

https://store.valentine1.com/store/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valentine Mount.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	692.7 KB
ID:	150981   Click image for larger version

Name:	valentine rig.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	150983  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tvguy; Apr 11th, 2019 at 10:24 pm.
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Valentine 1 is the only way to go. $400 from Valentine's website. Read their website. Lots of great info. You can turn frequencies off or on depending on your area.

https://store.valentine1.com/store/
What’s the box on top of the radar detector? I see you have a Marc Pharnes module.
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
What’s the box on top of the radar detector? I see you have a Marc Pharnes module.
I think that it's the control for the optional audio output.

I took a different direction, and don't want the annoying beeps in my helmet, and so I opted to mount the Valentine unit where it has the best coverage for front and rear, and hooked up the optional second display (small) to be in my immediate line-of-sight while riding, just as you see here:

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Of course, they are useful! Especially in states where they are restricted or banned. Useful as revenue generators in the form of fines. It's part of the game. If you spend the money to buy one, (I have a couple in my vehicles, but never used on my bike.), to remind me to watch my speed. But, if you cross the state line into Virginia and forget to remove yours...you run the risk of making an involuntary donation to their treasury even if you don't speed.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in