WTB: Valentine One radar detector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

When you get it Joe, a tip: cover the Laser detector windows with black electrical tape.

After all the time it was on my LT, and now in my 525, it never once did me any good detecting Laser, the ONE time it did actually detect police laser I was in a residential area and not speeding anyway, if I had been it would have been to late. Basically the laser detection only tells you to pull over for your ticket anyway.

However, it WILL detect every GM SUV high mounted brake light in front of you, and scare you half to death. I finally taped over the front laser window to prevent that.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
When you get it Joe, a tip: cover the Laser detector windows with black electrical tape.
You know what ... you CAN reprogram the V1 yourself to disable laser detection. The V1 in my car is set to detect everything, but on the bike I have laser and X-band disabled.
post #3 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
You know what ... you CAN reprogram the V1 yourself to disable laser detection. The V1 in my car is set to detect everything, but on the bike I have laser and X-band disabled.
Please expound!
Why do you have laser AND X-band disabled on the bike only...and not in the car?

post #4 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Gee.. are these useful? mayb I should be 3rd?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

After all the time it was on my LT, and now in my 525, it never once did me any good detecting Laser, the ONE time it did actually detect police laser I was in a residential area and not speeding anyway, if I had been it would have been to late. Basically the laser detection only tells you to pull over for your ticket anyway.

However, it WILL detect every GM SUV high mounted brake light in front of you, and scare you half to death. I finally taped over the front laser window to prevent that.

Joe,

With respect to Dave....do NOT cover your lidar windows with tape. Here in OH, as you know, every Statie is issued a Lidar detector. I have driven 500K plus miles in OH and have NEVER once been issued a speeding ticket due to lidar with the V1. It is the absolute best detector for your $$'s. I have been "clocked" by lidar countless times and picked up stray laser, never a ticket.

Later,

F
post #6 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Joe,

With respect to Dave....do NOT cover your lidar windows with tape. Here in OH, as you know, every Statie is issued a Lidar detector. I have driven 500K plus miles in OH and have NEVER once been issued a speeding ticket due to lidar with the V1. It is the absolute best detector for your $$'s. I have been "clocked" by lidar countless times and picked up stray laser, never a ticket.
Thanks for the tip Dave.
post #7 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Please expound!
Why do you have laser AND X-band disabled on the bike only...and not in the car?
With where the V1 was located on my previous bike (haven't done the wiring on the RT yet), the only laser it ever picked up was those stupid false alarms from GM brake lights. I could see an officer using laser, and the V1 would hardly ever pick it up, so I turned it off just to stop the false alerts. The windshield bracket blocks the head-on laser hit, so only the brake lights would make it around the bracket and cause it to trigger.

For X-band ... there's just too many false-positives around here, as just about every store front has an X-band based automatic door. I also have the V1 on the bike installed in a hoon hardware radar detector box in order to water proof it. Since I can't get to the mute switch ... I just eliminated the false-positives. There are some rural areas out in Texas that still use X-band, so I give up the possibility of a valid hit out of town ... but this configuration has worked well for me the past 4 years or so.

For reprogramming your V1, check out http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp for details.
post #8 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply...and, thanks for the link. Awesome!
post #9 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:38 am

Rocket, you seem to have alot of knowledge of the V1. I have owned my V1 for about 3 years. It has saved my ass more than a few times. I keep hearing about available upgrades. POP protection and others. I understand that you can send in the unit back to Valentine1 to get these upgrades. True?

Do you have any information about what benefits/additional protection you get from upgrading?

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

The real reason you have never been issued a speeding ticket is because you are a law-abiding citizen who stays within the limits, right? C'mon, the detector was just so you knew where the police were, for safety purposes.

Quote:
Joe,

Later,

F

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
The real reason you have never been issued a speeding ticket is because you are a law-abiding citizen who stays within the limits, right? C'mon, the detector was just so you knew where the police were, for safety purposes.
Does anyone else smell bacon!?!?! Quick! Send out that V1!!!
post #12 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:00 am

Just toss out a donut as a decoy . . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
I did not know that. Checked out the link posted, and I will now disable the Laser detection while here in CA. I will re-activate it for any long trips possibly.

As I said though, in probably 70,000 miles of use, it has never done me any good whatsoever against laser. Radar? Yes, several times.

I was getting a couple hits a day commuting because of those darned GM brake lights though. Hate that. especially when in stop and go traffic behind one, and the detector goes spastic every time they hit the brakes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW
Rocket, you seem to have alot of knowledge of the V1. I have owned my V1 for about 3 years. It has saved my ass more than a few times. I keep hearing about available upgrades. POP protection and others. I understand that you can send in the unit back to Valentine1 to get these upgrades. True?

Do you have any information about what benefits/additional protection you get from upgrading?
If your unit is 3 years old, it's probably the larger form factor like the one I just had upgraded. So yes, Valentine does have an upgrade program ... but there is a cost. The cost will depend on what you're upgrading from, so it's usually not very cost effective to upgrade for every little software release ... but to add new features like POP, it was worth it to me.

With the upgrade I just did, they completely replaced me larger form factor unit with one of the new slim units. It added POP support, improved laser detection, adds Ku and European detection support (no really an issue for me, but might be for others), and added another false alert detection where it will "cancel out" an alert that it had previously issued, that it later determines to be a false. That last feature is part of the POP upgrade ... in order to alert to POP mode, it has to trigger an alert before the entire signature can be determined. If it starts to alert, then later decides the signature is a false, it will audibly and visually retract the previous alert. Kind of cool.

I've been happy with the upgrade. The new unit is the one I keep in the car. I have an older "slim" model that I need to upgrade for POP support that I use on the bike.
post #15 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 2:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
If you go to http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/ and type in your serial number, it will tell you what upgrades are available for your unit. Then you can decide if it's worth the cost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 2:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Raffy - can we move this thread to the Radar Detector sub-forum? The Classifieds content is done, but there is lots of other useful discussion that would be worth keeping.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Tony,

The V1 is good at sniffing out the Lidar...better yet are your eyes. I havent been issued a ticket due to the fact that the V1 told me there was an issue ahead, so I slow down....like a good law abiding citizen.

F
post #18 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I just figure a radar detector is another piece of useful information about the upcoming road conditions, like a GPS or weather radio. How you interpret that information and what you do about it is up to you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:30 pm

I was just joshin' with you.

I have absolutely no problem with radar (or lidar) detectors. I'd rather you know that there's something up ahead and slow down way in advance than slam on your brakes and create a potential safety hazard when you see a police unit.

Quote:
Tony,

The V1 is good at sniffing out the Lidar...better yet are your eyes. I havent been issued a ticket due to the fact that the V1 told me there was an issue ahead, so I slow down....like a good law abiding citizen.

F

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #20 of 21 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Red face OK . . . it's HERE . . . now what?!?!

Yea, I know WHAT! Work, work, work! That's all I ever get myself into. What a freakin' MORON!

OK, let's see...
  • Make a fresh pot of java.
  • Open box and touch everything. Looks good.
  • Skim through the manual.
  • First cup gone, pour another cup.
  • The lease on my first pot of coffee ran out. Head to 'the office', grab manual, read it again.
  • Go out to garage and ponder where the perfect place is to mount it. Thank God I have the BMA shelf already. But do I want it on the left side of the GPS, or the right?!
  • Pour another cup-o-joe
  • Read the manual again.
  • Surf the links on all the little tips and tricks to my toy.
  • Search bmwlt.com for what the experts have to say.
  • Pour another cup.
  • Go out to the garage and steer at the GT again, remembering how smart I was to have a fuse block installed up front. Oh yea! Who's da man?!
  • Grin as I remember how easy it is to undress the GT compared to the LT. (A little fire scarecrow?)
  • Come back inside and surf some more. Maybe it'll install itself.
  • Pour the last cup and slam it!
  • Realize that it's not going to install itself. Might be time to crack open a Guinness, head out to the garage and just 'get er done'.
OK . . . here goes nuttin'!

Thanks again Hal, for the great deal and quick shipping.
post #21 of 21 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 3:03 pm

All I got out of this was... blah blah... Java... blah blah... coffee...blah blah.. Guinness.

I don't think you really ever had any intentions of ever mounting that thing on the bike, but what a great excuse to indulge in hot dark liquids or cold dark liquids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yea, I know WHAT! Work, work, work! That's all I ever get myself into. What a freakin' MORON!

OK, let's see...
  • Make a fresh pot of java.
  • Open box and touch everything. Looks good.
  • Skim through the manual.
  • First cup gone, pour another cup.
  • The lease on my first pot of coffee ran out. Head to 'the office', grab manual, read it again.
  • Go out to garage and ponder where the perfect place is to mount it. Thank God I have the BMA shelf already. But do I want it on the left side of the GPS, or the right?!
  • Pour another cup-o-joe
  • Read the manual again.
  • Surf the links on all the little tips and tricks to my toy.
  • Search bmwlt.com for what the experts have to say.
  • Pour another cup.
  • Go out to the garage and steer at the GT again, remembering how smart I was to have a fuse block installed up front. Oh yea! Who's da man?!
  • Grin as I remember how easy it is to undress the GT compared to the LT. (A little fire scarecrow?)
  • Come back inside and surf some more. Maybe it'll install itself.
  • Pour the last cup and slam it!
  • Realize that it's not going to install itself. Might be time to crack open a Guinness, head out to the garage and just 'get er done'.
OK . . . here goes nuttin'!

Thanks again Hal, for the great deal and quick shipping.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in