Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector Review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector Review

Hi All-

Here's my new review of Adaptiv Technology's TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector for motorcycles. Viable protection from the state's predatory revenue generation? Tune in and find out!

-MKL

Moshe K. Levy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 BMW R1200RT
2013 Moto-Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 Yamaha YSR50
1973 BMW R75/5
Moto Mouth Video Reviews
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moto Mouth Homepage

Facebook

Blogspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Re: Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector Review

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for the good review.

I'm considering this product but am wondering what is the most obscured place you can come up w/ to mount it on RTW. Having it up in plain view, except for the 3 LED alert light, seems like not a great idea if you're pulled over. I'm in California.

Thanks

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Hi-

My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that the more unobstructed its view, the better the detector's primary functionality. So burying it somewhere may hide it from the cops to some degree, but can also impede its functionality, perhaps significantly. When riding through areas where detectors are illegal, I simply pull the DIN connector out of mine, and if I'm pulled over I can show that (a) I can't do that without getting off the bike (connector is on front-facing side) and (b) I can't turn the detector on in its current state.

I try not to get pulled over to begin with. I try not to push more than 10mph over the limit most of the time. But here, you know, I had to test and stuff, so... ;-)

-MKL

Moshe K. Levy

2015 BMW R1200RT
2013 Moto-Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 Yamaha YSR50
1973 BMW R75/5
Moto Mouth Video Reviews

Moto Mouth Homepage

Facebook

Blogspot

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 5th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
When riding through areas where detectors are illegal, I simply pull the DIN connector out of mine, and if I'm pulled over I can show that (a) I can't do that without getting off the bike (connector is on front-facing side) and (b) I can't turn the detector on in its current state.
Nice review but where I live unfortunately radar detectors are illegal to possess so it makes no difference if it is plugged in, in the glove compartment or a saddle bag if they see it they will confiscate it. The bigger issue is that just being charged with having the detector earns you 3 demerit points, $200 fine and insurance companies may put you in a higher risk category. If travelling in Ontario best leave it at home.

Gerhard

post #5 of 6 Old Nov 6th, 2016, 6:14 am

I have had 3 of these on different bikes. Great detectors and EXCELLENT customer service.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 4th, 2019, 9:14 am

Garage

I have the TPX 2.0 installed on my K11LT. I usually get to be the point man whenever I'm riding with my buddies since I have the radar detector and it has saved our bacon more than once. I've had the RD installed for years, and noticed that the mounting plate was cracked. After contacting the vendor and showing them visual proof of the cracked mounting plate, they promptly sent me a new one at no charge! I would heartily recommend this detector and Adaptiv Technologies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in