V1 to the ears - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

V1 to the ears

I cannot seem to figure out how to interface the V1 into my intercom system.

If any of you can help me.

I have the 2003 K1200LT with the factory Intercom in the oddments box.

Thanks in Advance

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Talking

Now Officer, what ever do you need a V1 for??
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

umm

So, I can find out in advance if an emergency vehicle is coming my way...you know the new radar emittance sirens.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Bill,

It's a little convoluted, but it used to involve sending your V1 to J & M...the company that made your Comm System...so it could be modified with a short cord with a three bladed female plug on the end of it, which has been rigged to tap into the positive, ground and the audio circuits on the inside of the V1, so it could then be connected externally to the corresponding three-pronged male plug that has been routed up to and resides within the left handlebar housing, that has been there all along but you didn't know it. It's the very same three bladed plug arrangement that comes with the J & M made, BMW branded CB, if you happen to have one of those or know anyone who does. Honestly, and especially since now J & M no longer has a relationship with BMW, I am not sure this proceedure is anything they are even willing to perform these days, but I could be wrong. If you are really savvy working with small circuit board electronic repair and going into your V1, then this is a procedure you could do yourself, but personally I wouldn't want to try it. I know it all sounds crazy, but if you want to PM me, I will give you the skinny in detail.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
Now Officer, what ever do you need a V1 for??
I can't stop laughing.....
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

I think I have it

Al,
I had just asked the question about a week ago. I have taken my arm shrouds off and then the plastic, and I actually tapped into the power on the "plug" in the left handlebar. I know it was conjoined with the PTT button for the Midland CB.

I thought I had a picture of the plug that I think you are talking about. I believe I have deleted it. I can't even find the pix with the sides off now.

Anyone have any more info on the J&M mod to the V1? How long do they have it, what does it cost, and what does V1 say about this when you send it for an upgrade? I am willing to do it provided there is not a lot of finger pointing when the thing has a problem.

I can't seem to remember if that plug was a 2 conductor or 3, according to you it should be a 3 conductor.

Also, anyone have a good point of contact for J&M?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Bill,

It's a little convoluted, but it used to involve sending your V1 to J & M...the company that made your Comm System...Honestly, and especially since now J & M no longer has a relationship with BMW, I am not sure this proceedure is anything they are even willing to perform these days, but I could be wrong.
J&M converted mine last February. They gave me a longer cord because I mounted mine on the right handlebar. I like it wired into the Comm System.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Can you elaborate?

Ernie,
I am glad to hear it is still being done. I will need the longer cord as well. Can you tell me costs, how long it took etc?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Anyone have any more info on the J&M mod to the V1? How long do they have it, what does it cost, and what does V1 say about this when you send it for an upgrade? I am willing to do it provided there is not a lot of finger pointing when the thing has a problem.

I can't seem to remember if that plug was a 2 conductor or 3, according to you it should be a 3 conductor.

Also, anyone have a good point of contact for J&M?
Contact J&M directly and they should answer all your questions. If memory serves me correctly they did the mod the same day it was delivered to them and they turned it right around. The cost evades me, but if I didn't like what they did I couldv'e quoted you the price to the penny.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #10 of 23 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

J&M Rocks!....so far

I emailed John from J&M and immediately...I mean within minutes at 9pm at night he responds telling me that he can in fact do it and gave me a contact number on who to call.

I will call tomorrow and hopefully I still feel the same way about their company.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ernie,
I am glad to hear it is still being done. I will need the longer cord as well. Can you tell me costs, how long it took etc?
Nope. I don't remember. Give them a call. They'll price it for you.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #12 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 6:17 am

Bill,

I'm glad to know they are still doing it as well. You will like the arrangement, although with the longer cord and routed to the other side it does limit the ability to dismount it and use in your car if you had a need. Unless the corresponding cord coming from the Comm System could be routed to the other side, or at the very least have them construct it with the normal length of 4"-5" coming out of the V1 and then have them make up an "extension" cord to accomplish what you are trying to do, otherwise you will not have the ability to dismount your V1 for any reason (weather, keeping it from getting stolen, etc.)

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:18 am Thread Starter

They still do it

Ok,
I just got off the phone with J&M and everyone I have talked to seems to be real helpful and willing to earn your satisfaction.

They charge 50.00 + S&H. He told me that they typically get it done the same business day it comes in, but 2 business days max. So, ultimately I should be able to have it out and back withing 5business days. That is impressive. They do not accept checks or money orders, CC only. Which I prefer anyway.

I asked him about mounting it on the right, and he said that all I have to do is mention it in a note to them that I want the extension on it.

Ranger, I will ask them to put a small lead on it so I can remove it. Not for the other car though....my other car as the opposite end of the radar unit..so Don't need it , I Do want to be able to remove it if I am at a hotel, shopping, etc.

So, as soon as the V1 comes in the mail, it is off to Arizona!!

Thanks Ernie for all your help.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #14 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Bill,

I'm glad to know they are still doing it as well. You will like the arrangement, although with the longer cord and routed to the other side it does limit the ability to dismount it and use in your car if you had a need. Unless the corresponding cord coming from the Comm System could be routed to the other side, or at the very least have them construct it with the normal length of 4"-5" coming out of the V1 and then have them make up an "extension" cord to accomplish what you are trying to do, otherwise you will not have the ability to dismount your V1 for any reason (weather, keeping it from getting stolen, etc.)
huh? Mine has a short cable coming out of the V1 and they provided a long cable that reaches the left handlebar housing and connestor. I just unplug it and put it into my truck anytime I want.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #15 of 23 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok,
I just got off the phone with J&M and everyone I have talked to seems to be real helpful and willing to earn your satisfaction.

They charge 50.00 + S&H. He told me that they typically get it done the same business day it comes in, but 2 business days max. So, ultimately I should be able to have it out and back withing 5business days. That is impressive. They do not accept checks or money orders, CC only. Which I prefer anyway.

I asked him about mounting it on the right, and he said that all I have to do is mention it in a note to them that I want the extension on it.

Ranger, I will ask them to put a small lead on it so I can remove it. Not for the other car though....my other car as the opposite end of the radar unit..so Don't need it , I Do want to be able to remove it if I am at a hotel, shopping, etc.

So, as soon as the V1 comes in the mail, it is off to Arizona!!

Thanks Ernie for all your help.
Glad to help. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #16 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:00 am

Cool

Where have all you gurus found the best price on the V1?

Denny
post #17 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Prices

They vary, Depending on what you want out of your V1.

I bought mine from an LTr on this site. I paid 275.00, and I orderd the concealed display, case, and audio adapter from V1 directly. So, all in all, I am still under the cost of just the unit from V1.

Keep in mind when you buy a used one, you need the serial number. Go to www.valentine1.com and then click "upgrades" and then input the serial number to see what if any upgrades were available. Do this BEFORE YOU BUY IT!! Then it will give you a list of all available updates etc. available to you, and then you can call them for a cost for the upgrade. The one I bought, the only thing it is lacking is the POP feature, which, being in law enforcement, I know is not used here in Colorado yet. (maybe a couple agencies, with new grants bought them, but not statewide) I know CSP isn't using them, and the ONLY agency I am aware that is using it as a direct replacement and is using it agency wide is California's LA County.

I am not much of a speeder, but do know I lose track like others, and I ONLY do this on a bike, in a vehicle I am the slow guy that is upsetting you.

If you have an officer sitting in hiding, and he has Instant On(which I do) I do not care how much money you spend, or what detector or EVEN JAMMER you have, if you were the officer's target, in less than .5seconds.."Tag! Your It"

I pulled over a lotus last weekend....you know the little one that is on a Celica frame...well anyway..he had a NEW V1, and I hit him with instant on, 64 in 35 and I locked him and when I approached the car, he was pretty upset and didn't believe it that I had clocked him because his radar detector didn't go off. He said "This is the best on the market, and if it didn't go off, you didn't get me" I then chuckled as I asked him to exit his vehicle and sit in my front passenger seat as I wrote his citation, and while he was there, I hit 2 more cars to show him the feature, he still wasn't convinced, so I rewound the incar cam(with radar/speed interface) and let him watch himself come in, his speed shown on radar on the screen, then shows me "lock" it and then me pull him over.

So, keep in mind....if you are the target....chances are, it is to late. So, when you are out in front on your own and not a care in the world.....make sure your Driver's license is handy, you will need it.

I am not a traffic cop, I primarily deal with narcotics, but when on duty and you see someone almost 30+ over in a residential area....you kinda become a traffic cop.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Last edited by pieceofficer; Jul 12th, 2006 at 10:16 am.
post #18 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:14 pm
Ted

Bill -

Thanks for the insight and words of wisdom!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 23 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Quote:
I am not a traffic cop, I primarily deal with narcotics
Narcotics.... Good thing my LT is a "legal drug"

Note: Thanks for the info; it was helpfull.
post #20 of 23 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:41 am

Any more info in this since June 2006.

Thanks

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE "Hulkster Green"

post #21 of 23 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 12:36 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Valentine 1 cable

Bill, thanks for the LEO's POV - I hope you are not still buried under a ton a snow...

Here are a few pic's of the J&M connection. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V1_cable.gif
Views:	106
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	8935   Click image for larger version

Name:	V1_connect.gif
Views:	101
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	8936  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #22 of 23 Old May 31st, 2007, 11:07 am

Quote:
They vary, Depending on what you want out of your V1.

I bought mine from an LTr on this site. I paid 275.00, and I orderd the concealed display, case, and audio adapter from V1 directly. So, all in all, I am still under the cost of just the unit from V1.
If you have the audio adapter, you don't need the J-M conversion do you? Seems I saw a post with in in the saddle bag and the audio adapter used under an RCU shelf.
On a side note, has anyone taped an additional audio source like a radar detector into the line that typically is used for your GPS, the one that goes into the left handle bar cover?
Has anyone converted this so that it goes into both ears. My GPS speaks only into my Right ear and I'm going to look at making it both. I'd also like to use the same wire coming from my shelf to pipe into the com system.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #23 of 23 Old May 31st, 2007, 2:31 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
V-1 in headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
If you have the audio adapter, you don't need the J-M conversion do you? Seems I saw a post with in in the saddle bag and the audio adapter used under an RCU shelf.
On a side note, has anyone taped an additional audio source like a radar detector into the line that typically is used for your GPS, the one that goes into the left handle bar cover?
Has anyone converted this so that it goes into both ears. My GPS speaks only into my Right ear and I'm going to look at making it both. I'd also like to use the same wire coming from my shelf to pipe into the com system.

HI Jason,
I had J&M do the conversion because the plug was already there from the factory. If you have the com system it powers and send the audio to your head set. J&M can do a conversion for any type of comm system, just tell them what you have. I have not seem anyone do a conversion from the V-1 additional audio source... they just hooked up external screamer speakers...

As far as the GPS goes you are only supposed to hear it in one ear...
Legal loop hole... same reason you are not supposed to wear head phones while driving in your car...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in