false alerts on laser?.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

false alerts on laser?..

I think iam getting alot of false alerts in the laser band on my passport 8500. Is it time to replace upgrade to the newer devices? Or do they have the same false alarms on laser? I did figure out that some new cars with proximity sensor
S will set it of too..

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:59 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: false alerts on laser?..

I don't use a Passport unit anymore but I would send it in for a check up. I sent my Valentine in for an upgrade and I rarely get any false alarms or the false alarms from traffic counters.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Passport no longer supports my unit.. maybe santa clause will be good to me.

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 8:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

I understand that lights of certain frequency (in the red range?) can give false laser alarm. My Valentine had been very good in that regards. BTW, if you do get a new one, I would recommend the Valentine. To many of us, the valuable features are the arrows (telling whether the signals are coming from the front, back, sides, or combinations) and the numeral indicator to tell you how many signals are detected. Of course, the accuracy of the detection is very good as well.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 9:30 am

I had a Valentine permanently mounted on my LT, and after some time turned off the Laser detection feature. First, if you are hit by laser, too late to do anything about it. Just pull over and get ready to talk. Secondly, and mostly, it turned out to be the world's best detector of GM SUV brake lights! Anytime one was in front of me and braked, it would scare the crap out of me. I had the V! audio into my helmet head phones, and the Laser warning is LOUD!

The Laser warning usefulness is dubious at best, not worth putting up with the false alarms.

I know have the V1 in my truck.

I vote for the V1! i have had it for about 12 years, and two years ago it started giving me a LOT of false alarms on a trip, to the point it was almost continuous. Valentine has a set repair fee of $40, so I packed it up with a check enclosed and sent it off. 4 days later, it came back fixed, with the check in the box! Where else can you get any electronics repaired 10 years after purchase, no questions asked, fast, and no charge? Where else can you get support like that for anything? Even if there is a radar detector out there that is as good as the V1, will it have support that good? Doubt it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 10:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
I had a Valentine permanently mounted on my LT, and after some time turned off the Laser detection feature. First, if you are hit by laser, too late to do anything about it. Just pull over and get ready to talk. Secondly, and mostly, it turned out to be the world's best detector of GM SUV brake lights! Anytime one was in front of me and braked, it would scare the crap out of me. I had the V! audio into my helmet head phones, and the Laser warning is LOUD!

The Laser warning usefulness is dubious at best, not worth putting up with the false alarms.

I know have the V1 in my truck.

I vote for the V1! i have had it for about 12 years, and two years ago it started giving me a LOT of false alarms on a trip, to the point it was almost continuous. Valentine has a set repair fee of $40, so I packed it up with a check enclosed and sent it off. 4 days later, it came back fixed, with the check in the box! Where else can you get any electronics repaired 10 years after purchase, no questions asked, fast, and no charge? Where else can you get support like that for anything? Even if there is a radar detector out there that is as good as the V1, will it have support that good? Doubt it.
Yeah, I agree with you regarding the usefulness of the laser detection. That thing with the brake light was what I remembered reading in the past!

BTW, I really don't want to have the noise in my helmet, and so I bought the remote display and install that where I couldn't miss seeing any alerts. Works for me. Typically, I ride carefully anyway, and the Valentine is there just to keep me honest.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yeah, I agree with you regarding the usefulness of the laser detection. That thing with the brake light was what I remembered reading in the past!

BTW, I really don't want to have the noise in my helmet, and so I bought the remote display and install that where I couldn't miss seeing any alerts. Works for me. Typically, I ride carefully anyway, and the Valentine is there just to keep me honest.
You can still detect Laser if other vehicles are being shot ahead of you. So yes if you have no traffic a head..................instant on will get you.

But if there is traffic , you see intermittent short bursts in plenty of time to realize a threat exists, although laser can be blocked by large trucks, but it also can reflect off them and give you a warning. I would never disable the function.

And I have the Marc Parnes 5 Led warning light block mounted up on top of my Zumo 665 which is on a BMR co-pilot with a Touratech locking mount mounted on BMR's adjustble mount. LED's are almost directly in line of site!

V1 mounted on the right shelf of the Co-pilot!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Sep 16th, 2014 at 11:40 am.
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
And I have the Marc Parnes 5 Led warning light block mounted up on top of my Zumo 665 which is on a BMR co-pilot with a Touratech locking mount mounted on BMR's adjustble mount. LED's are almost directly in line of site!

V1 mounted on the right shelf of the Co-pilot!
I prefer the Valentine remote display because it still have the arrows and numbers that I can see readily. My mounting is similar to yours, in the '07 RT I have the remote display mounted on top off the Zumo 550, which is mount right above the dash on a Wunderlich GPS mount. Directly in my line of sight. on the '14 RT, (now it's going to be the '15 RT) the remote display sits right on top of the GPS prepped dash. Again, right in my line of sight.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
I prefer the Valentine remote display because it still have the arrows and numbers that I can see readily. My mounting is similar to yours, in the '07 RT I have the remote display mounted on top off the Zumo 550, which is mount right above the dash on a Wunderlich GPS mount. Directly in my line of sight. on the '14 RT, (now it's going to be the '15 RT) the remote display sits right on top of the GPS prepped dash. Again, right in my line of sight.
My V1 is in plain sight and once I see the LED's I can look directly at the V1 and read the numbers and the arrows!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140916_001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	65698  

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Sep 16th, 2014 at 11:49 am.
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 1:28 pm

There are some laser alerts that are caused by projector HID headlights. I have noticed this a lot in the past few years. There are also times that sun reflections from passing vehicles will trigger the laser warning. Kind of a pain, but my V1 is still great. I do need to send it in for the latest upgrade at some point, and this may be addressed.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Garage

On a recent trip, I found that sunlight reflected from shiny car surfaces, especially chrome wheels and windshileds, caused the laser warning on my V1 to trip. Just about every time I passed a vehicle with chrome wheels and the sun was shining on them, my laser tripped.
It is 15 years old and paid for itself again on I-40 between Kingman and Barstow. Radar blipped and I slowed down from xxx mph to the speed limit and 2 cars shot past me. 1 mile down the road they were both pulled over.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw View Post
On a recent trip, I found that sunlight reflected from shiny car surfaces, especially chrome wheels and windshileds, caused the laser warning on my V1 to trip. Just about every time I passed a vehicle with chrome wheels and the sun was shining on them, my laser tripped.
It is 15 years old and paid for itself again on I-40 between Kingman and Barstow. Radar blipped and I slowed down from xxx mph to the speed limit and 2 cars shot past me. 1 mile down the road they were both pulled over.
You speed demon you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 14 Old Sep 16th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Garage

Gilles, it wasn't me, the bike did it. A detector is a mandatory piece of equipment on the K16. It isn't going to protect you all the time, but even once is good and even the false alerts make you aware that there is a speed limit .

P.S. Sorry can't make Ft Bragg this year - other commitments.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNclebudintx View Post
I think iam getting alot of false alerts in the laser band on my passport 8500. Is it time to replace upgrade to the newer devices? Or do they have the same false alarms on laser? I did figure out that some new cars with proximity sensor
S will set it of too..
I was having all kinds of false laser alert with my old Cobra RD. Got to the point where I just took the unit off the bike. Tried a different power source...nope. Tried a power conditioner.....nope. Finally gave up and started to look for another RD.

I know most of the guys here are fans of the Valentine RD, but I ended up going with an Adaptiv RD. Here's my quick and dirty results for consideration.

V1- Better alerts and the directional signal indicator is a plus.

Adaptiv- Water resistant/proof and comes with a LED "visual screamer". Also it's pretty easy to add in the laser jammer to the system.

I can understand why most peeps go the V1 route, but I live in western Washington State and it RAINS here! That became the deciding factor and so I bought one. So far?...it's been great. No false lasers and it's alerted in all the right spots. I can't hear the RD with my helmet on, but the visual screamer all but does away with the need to hear the unit....it's BRIGHT! I put the light up on my dash, and you can't miss it when it goes off.

Hope this helps...B

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW R1200RT (wife rides, I fix)
Sedro Woolley, Washington State

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in