post start-up switched power? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

post start-up switched power?

My radar detector is currently run from an FZ-1 fuse block that gets its switched power off the bike's rear outboard socket wire.

Upon turning on the ignition the RD turns on then goes through its initialization, and then after starting the bike the RD repeats it's initialization all over again. This is annoying and is probably bad for the detector.

Is there a switched power source available that will only turn on detector "after" the engine is started?
My plan is to hopefully move my RD to beneath front fairing, and adding an inexpensive bluetooth transmitter to transmit alerts to my helmet's Sena unit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A. Jensen (Mean Dog)
09' R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bothell, WA

Founding member of the 'long in tooth' northwest mild dogs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 8:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: post start-up switched power?

You want to tie into the low beam, as that doesn't fire up until the engine is running. Plus it's up front, where you want.

The radar detector probably doesn't pull much power so you could just feed it directly from the low beam wire, or you could be safe and use a relay triggered off the low beam.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Re: post start-up switched power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
You want to tie into the low beam, as that doesn't fire up until the engine is running. Plus it's up front, where you want.

The radar detector probably doesn't pull much power so you could just feed it directly from the low beam wire, or you could be safe and use a relay triggered off the low beam.
Thanks Ken for the fast reply and nice n'easy solution to my problem. My new plan then is to simply run a switched line from the low beam to the Fuze Block. Maybe this will also remedy my Piaa running lights from remaining on for 30 to 60 seconds after turning off ignition?

Thanks again, and all the best to a great summer!

A. Jensen (Mean Dog)
09' R1200RT

Bothell, WA

Founding member of the 'long in tooth' northwest mild dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in