• 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:24 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Photography & Riding.

I had always incorporated photography into my love of riding, even back when I first started riding in the '60s. Winter slack time is the perfect time to play around with the photos that I had taken over the years. Lately, I have been playing with printing some of my photographs on canvas and then create the stretched canvas frame that I am sure you guys have seen. However, the largest size media that I can print on my photo printer is 13" x 19", and I really want to see some of my panorama in much larger format. I am somewhat "cheap", and don't want to spend the money to have them done commercially. Actually, to be more accurate, I would rather spend the (cumulative) money on very large printer for myself, IF I have enough justification for it.

So, to see how my photo would look, in real life, in large scale, say the photo below sized at 31" x 16":

I am planning on sectioning the photo into 3 10" x 16" panels, mount them on a 31" x 16" mat board, leaving a 1/2" gaps between the panels. The whole thing will go inside of a "Drop Frame", and I think that it will be quite presentable! Any opinions or suggestions will be most welcome!!! The end result will yield a picture that will look something like this:

Unfortunately, with the ways things are going with the world right now, I will not be doing this until things have settled down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2433 Lake Pukaki 02 Low-res.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	156103   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2433 Lake Pukaki 02 Low-res Panels.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	156105  
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 1:59 pm

Garage
Re: Photography & Riding.

Hello and nice shot.
Does your printer run a canvas stock or perhaps a stock that has a canvas texture?
If you are going to split the image up to 10"x16", then your 13x19" stock is not an issue.
Graham
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 9:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Nice images! And, a great way to break it up when you don't have a large format printer!
I just printed a 5' x 1' pano of the San Gabriel mountains I took last week!
I don't like to mess up my paper settings to print canvas, so I was trying to get quotes from local print shops I trust.
They all told me to call them back in a few weeks after the pandemic scare runs its course... hopefully, it will!
Cheers!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2020, 7:38 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys. What I was looking for are comments from the artistic perspective rather than technical. I have been making the canvas panels for about a year now, and have made about 15 panels just this past winter.

FYI, the photo is printed on real linen canvas. The printed canvas is then stretched and fastened onto a wooden stretch-frame. Most people will hang the picture up just like that, and quite frankly they do look fine. However, the formal presentation of such picture or painting is to mount the panel in what is called a "drop frame". You can Google it and see how that works. I am thinking that a drop-frame, large enough for a 16" x 31" picture would be the perfect way to present the 3 composite panels!

Initially, I was thinking of mounting the 3 panels on a white mat (or foam) board to make up the composite, but I can see now that the white will tend to accentuate the gaps, which isn't what I want to do. A "neutral gray" or even matte black background will be much better!

Bob - what setting are you talking about? The only setting that I needed to change was the color profile for the printer driver, which is very easy to do.

BTW, if anybody is interested in the details on how to make stretched canvas panel, just say so and I can get into more details. It is very easy to do, and I will guarantee that the end result will be relatively inexpensive and looks quite professional. Your biggest expense is going to be the printer. The 13" x 19" print that I can make will create a 10" x 16" panel, since I need to have that 1-1/2" border around all sides to wrap around the stretch frame.
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

"Bob - what setting are you talking about? The only setting that I needed to change was the color profile for the printer driver, which is very easy to do".

For my studio printer, the sales guy for my Canon iPF8400 said I have to change the platen height to use canvas. I haven't read in the manual whether it was true, or not-I just went along with it and figured it was true. I also didn't want to bother with buying rolls of canvas. I have 7 rolls of 24" paper which cost me $150-$350 each, and I have run through a couple other rolls which I bought profiles for... so I haven't even looked into the cost of rolls of canvas, and the canvas profiles I would need to print.
My printer can handle 44" rolls, too--though I haven't had a need to print anything that wide. I don't sell enough to consider canvas.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

"Thanks guys. What I was looking for are comments from the artistic perspective rather than technical."

I like the way you broke up the space, the white space between I figured was in place of a wall and you just went with white versus a neutral gray, or other way color. I figured it was a triptych... which is a smart way to go. It won't matter what was between-it would be the wall color, right?

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Thanks guys. What I was looking for are comments from the artistic perspective rather than technical..
PadG, From an artistic perspective relative to the scene, even though the location if fantastic, the image doesn't work for me. Personally, I am somewhat of a stickler for some of the compositional components of images. In the scene you have here, it would get me really excited if your motorcycle was either facing the other direction or placed in the far right of the scene as if it was travelling into the scene, not leaving it. I do love the tryptic layout. They make for a beautiful wall piece.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 8:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
"Bob - what setting are you talking about? The only setting that I needed to change was the color profile for the printer driver, which is very easy to do".

For my studio printer, the sales guy for my Canon iPF8400 said I have to change the platen height to use canvas. I haven't read in the manual whether it was true, or not-I just went along with it and figured it was true. I also didn't want to bother with buying rolls of canvas. I have 7 rolls of 24" paper which cost me $150-$350 each, and I have run through a couple other rolls which I bought profiles for... so I haven't even looked into the cost of rolls of canvas, and the canvas profiles I would need to print.
My printer can handle 44" rolls, too--though I haven't had a need to print anything that wide. I don't sell enough to consider canvas.
Very nice printer! I haven't been anywhere near a pedestal type printer in almost a couple of decades! That printer should be able to print on canvas without any problems. Not only that, it seems to have features that is directed specifically toward printing canvas "gallery-wrap" prints that I am talking about: https://www.itsupplies.com/Canon-iPF...6565b002aa.htm

The only limitation that you have is the media thickness, and according to Canon, the maximum media thickness is 0.8 mm: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...ne-art/ipf8400

My printer is a bit smaller, since I really can't justify something like what you have for personal use, and it is a Canon Pro 9000 Mk II. It is a table-top platen type inkjet. The limitation, besides the number of color ink as compared to yours, is that 13" x 19" is the maximum size media that I can use. OTOH, the advantage of the platen type printer vs your roller type printer is that I can print on rigid media, like sheet of aluminum! Yep, there are printable metal sheet that are available, and I will probably play with it one of these days.

As for canvas roll - if you are thinking of getting a canvas print done commercially, I can tell you that it will be very much cheaper for you to buy a roll (or sheets) of canvas and print it yourself. That will be much less expensive! The brand that I like is Breathing Color, and they have quite extensive selections. Here are some of the canvas: https://www.breathingcolor.com/aqueous-canvas BTW, you will note that the thickness of any of those canvas are well within the acceptable specification for your printer!
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
"Thanks guys. What I was looking for are comments from the artistic perspective rather than technical."

I like the way you broke up the space, the white space between I figured was in place of a wall and you just went with white versus a neutral gray, or other way color. I figured it was a triptych... which is a smart way to go. It won't matter what was between-it would be the wall color, right?
When a canvas panel is mounted inside of a drop frame, you will have a gap between the actual canvas picture/painting and the inside wall of the frame. That is how a typical oil-on-canvas painting are usually presented. I just figure that having gaps, about the same size as the gap between the picture and the frame, would make the 3 panels looks more "natural". No, you won't be able to see the wall behind the framed picture, because the 3 panels will be fixed to a 16" x 31" foam board back panel. I think that I will use a black foam mount board at the back, and so the gap will not stand out as much.
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 8:55 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
PadG, From an artistic perspective relative to the scene, even though the location if fantastic, the image doesn't work for me. Personally, I am somewhat of a stickler for some of the compositional components of images. In the scene you have here, it would get me really excited if your motorcycle was either facing the other direction or placed in the far right of the scene as if it was travelling into the scene, not leaving it. I do love the tryptic layout. They make for a beautiful wall piece.
Thanks for the input! I have several more nice panorama that I have in mind for this. Actually, I only posted this picture because it has an RT in it, and this is after all a motorcycle forum! My first choice for doing this is something else that is actually, IMHO, a much better picture, but not even a hint of motorcycle anywhere.

FYI that shot was when I went to New Zealand in 2017 for a first revisit, having grown up over there back in the '50s and '60s. That is Mount Cook, NZ's tallest peak in the background, and the lake is Lake Pukaki. The bike is a rental 2017 RT that I had for 10 days. That used to be one of my riding playground in the old days.
Munmi likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Wow! Thanks so much for the information! i guess I was confusing my old 17" Canon Pro-1 with a platen vs. my old 44" Canon iPF8400.

Thanks for the links, too! I will check out the canvas solution... I have a client waiting for a canvas wrap, and I guess I should learn something new instead of trusting the salesperson, or my memory!

There were a large number of BMWs and Harleys touring on the road where I was parked to get this shot... the Harleys rumbled by and I couldn't hear any of the BMWs among them as I was taking the 29 photos it took to stitch together this image. There were over 50 big tourers headed somewhere!

Anyway, thanks again for the information I should have checked out long ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIFFBOB13737-Pano.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	156127  

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

"As for canvas roll - if you are thinking of getting a canvas print done commercially, I can tell you that it will be very much cheaper for you to buy a roll (or sheets) of canvas and print it yourself. That will be much less expensive! The brand that I like is Breathing Color, and they have quite extensive selections. Here are some of the canvas: https://www.breathingcolor.com/aqueous-canvas BTW, you will note that the thickness of any of those canvas are well within the acceptable specification for your printer!"

Holy Cow! I can't believe all the canvas materials available! Wow! It is going to take me a little while to digest the various kinds of canvas!

Thanks!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #13 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2020, 7:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much for the information! i guess I was confusing my old 17" Canon Pro-1 with a platen vs. my old 44" Canon iPF8400.

Thanks for the links, too! I will check out the canvas solution... I have a client waiting for a canvas wrap, and I guess I should learn something new instead of trusting the salesperson, or my memory!

There were a large number of BMWs and Harleys touring on the road where I was parked to get this shot... the Harleys rumbled by and I couldn't hear any of the BMWs among them as I was taking the 29 photos it took to stitch together this image. There were over 50 big tourers headed somewhere!

Anyway, thanks again for the information I should have checked out long ago!
Glad to help! What the sales guy told you just didn't make sense to me at all, knowing how things works.

You might be interested in this for trying out: https://breathingcolor.lpages.co/ins...YPtzcxN041te6U It's for free, but you will have to pay for the shipping. I had gotten a bottle of their varnish, for free, and the shipping cost was around $8. I will be starting to play with the varnish, which is supposed to protect and improves the colors of the painting on the canvas: https://breathingcolor.lpages.co/tim...BT27nZwzPAKE-8
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Last edited by PadG; Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:58 am.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2020, 8:07 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
"As for canvas roll - if you are thinking of getting a canvas print done commercially, I can tell you that it will be very much cheaper for you to buy a roll (or sheets) of canvas and print it yourself. That will be much less expensive! The brand that I like is Breathing Color, and they have quite extensive selections. Here are some of the canvas: https://www.breathingcolor.com/aqueous-canvas BTW, you will note that the thickness of any of those canvas are well within the acceptable specification for your printer!"

Holy Cow! I can't believe all the canvas materials available! Wow! It is going to take me a little while to digest the various kinds of canvas!

Thanks!
There are so much more!!!

This is the brand that I am presently using, and I am quite please with the product: Ink Press

In particular, I am presently using this canvas sheets: Ink Press They call it a Metallic Canvas, and I just love the way that it brings out the richness of the dark tones. I had only just started using it, and so I don't know how it affect the lighter, or more normal exposures like the picture that I had posted above.
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
There are so much more!!!

This is the brand that I am presently using, and I am quite please with the product: Ink Press

In particular, I am presently using this canvas sheets: Ink Press They call it a Metallic Canvas, and I just love the way that it brings out the richness of the dark tones. I had only just started using it, and so I don't know how it affect the lighter, or more normal exposures like the picture that I had posted above.
Wow! There is so much more to learn... paper profiles to download and install... lots to read! lol! Thanks so much for your assistance!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Enjoy!
kbob12 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in