Ride and Flight. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Ride and Flight.

I always have my helmetcam on, when I ride, in order to capture video (in full 4k) and images that I might find interesting after the ride. Nowadays, very large hard-disk are very inexpensive, and so the video files gets stashed as permanent records.

In addition, I also carry either my DSLR or my DJI Mavic Pro drone in my tankbag. Whereas I have been a hobbyist of photography since I was about 12 years old, I have to say that the Mavic Pro is fully responsible for my taking serious interests in professional video grading and editing, because of the features that it offers for videography! For example, all of my drone video are taken in D-Log setting, and that is, in the raw state, quite ugly looking. Here is a jpeg snap-shot of what the untouched D-Log video looks like, to give you some ideas:

For those who might not know, the appearance is quite deliberate, in order to capture the maximum amount of dynamic range, and the video footage thus captured, are "fixed" in a video editing software that has the capability of applying LUT (Look-Up-Table) of predefined color property setting to convert the video into something that is very much more vibrant than what the raw footage would indicate.

Compare the picture above to the graded and edited video compilation that I had just published on YouTube. The helmetcam footage, from the SONY FDR-X3000 is as it appeared straight from the camera, while the drone clips have been graded (color) in Adobe After Effect and compiled in Premier Pro.

PS: the video compilation is in full 4k resolution, and you should adjust your playback setting to the maximum resolution as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-Log.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	154947  
PMitchell likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Re: Ride and Flight.

That is certainly great video, thank for posting.
Also how/what method do you use to attach the camera to your helmet?

Thanks

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Ride and Flight.

PadG:

Hmmm...BMW bikes, MotoScan geeking, now drones - one more thing we have in common!

I ride routinely with either the Mavic 1 Pro or Spark in the panniers...and run the Sena 10C Pro all the time on the helmet.

I also have a Mavic 2 Enterprise (Iím also a Part 107 Commercial Remote Pilot) but the case is too big to leave room for the other essentials LOL.

Really nice video. Well done!

BTW- I picked up a portable, self-powered wifi 1TB hard drive with an SD card slot for quick/easy card dumping. Makes life easier as I can manage it from an iPhone or Android device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 8:49 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper View Post
That is certainly great video, thank for posting.
Also how/what method do you use to attach the camera to your helmet?

Thanks
It's a Sony adhesive mount, but it can be used with any small camera with standard 1/4-20 threaded tripod mount in the bottom. Take a look at post #19 in the following thread for the specifics: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/photogr...equipment.html
Bighopper likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
PadG:

Hmmm...BMW bikes, MotoScan geeking, now drones - one more thing we have in common!

I ride routinely with either the Mavic 1 Pro or Spark in the panniers...and run the Sena 10C Pro all the time on the helmet.

I also have a Mavic 2 Enterprise (I’m also a Part 107 Commercial Remote Pilot) but the case is too big to leave room for the other essentials LOL.

Really nice video. Well done!

BTW- I picked up a portable, self-powered wifi 1TB hard drive with an SD card slot for quick/easy card dumping. Makes life easier as I can manage it from an iPhone or Android device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The drone caught my attentions back when GoPro first announced their Karma drone. That got me to looking in details, and saw that DJI was about to release the Mavic Pro, which was about the same price as the Karma, but was waaaay better, as we all know now! So I bought the Mavic Pro back then. It is fun to fly, but boy, what a stable camera platform! Now, I have an eye on the new Mavic 2 Pro over the zoom model, but I am not ready for it yet. Video/photo quality is what attracts me over the zooming convenience. I can always zoom while editing, which I did a little bit in the above video.

I now understand the finer points of video editing and compiling, and the above video is very much better than what I had done in the past with my ride videos. Not there yet, but I am still learning!!!

I will bet that you picked up the same portable HD as the one that I have! Several years back, when I was going to ride in Scotland, I needed something with large capacity to hold all of my ride video that I would move from the microSD card on daily basis, such that I don't have to lug around a laptop as well. The only solution at the time was WD's Passport Wifi. At the end of the day, I would take the microSD card from my (at the time) SENA Prism, and insert it right into the Passport Wifi, and move all of the video files from the microSD to the Passport and have the empty card ready for the following day's ride. Now, DJI also has a product with the same function, and perhaps other manufacturers also.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in