R1100RT Final Drive Oil Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 7:59 am Thread Starter

R1100RT Final Drive Oil Leak

Hello All,

I have a 1999 R1100RT that I love, (as well as my K1200LT).

The final drive is leaking oil all over the rear break disk and dropping down onto the wheel. The leak is not coming from the final drive sump, but it seems to be leaking from where that unit is joined together. It looks to be two sections sandwiched together, and where the two pieces meet seems to be leaking.

What made me notice it leaking what a sort of grinding noise coming from the final drive, not a very pleasant experience.

Prior to the grinding noise appearing, the clutch as started to slip, but once I adjusted the clutch cable at the handlebar, that seems to go away.

Thanks in advance for any tips on where to start looking at this problem. I have not worked on the final drive yet, so I have a bit to learn,

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 9:49 am

Hmmmm...Leaking FD housing...grinding noise when turning rear tire...ah, you sir, in all probability, have a failed final drive main bearing!

Not as common on the lighter bikes, RTs, GSs, older LT1100s, but it certainly does happen.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 4th, 2006, 1:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Bummer, Mark. Start with this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:11 am

It's not an easy DIY fix.
Officially you need special tools to dismantle the drive box and also to measure bearing preloads on assembly.
You could save a lot of money by taking the drive unit off the bike but from that point on it's a secondhand unit or a dealer fix unless you're very experienced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in