R1200S - Quick Ride Report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 3:13 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

R1200S - Quick Ride Report

I got a chance to take the new R1200S out for a ride this morning. As with all the new models it's gone through a weight loss and power gain program. It weighs in at 430 lbs, which is significantly lighter than the 1100S. Chris at San Jose BMW dyno'd it yesterday and it's making 110 HP at the rear wheel. I got to take it on a quick 15 minute ride; here's my initial observations -

It's Fast - It pulls in every gear and will loft the front wheel in 1st gear without trying (and without you expecting it, either). Roll on from 75 - 100 mph in 4th and 5th is really quick, 3-4 seconds at most. In 6th it's a little slower but still strong.

Nice Motor - It has a counter balancer that does a great job of quelling that primary vibration at idle, as well as calming the "sideways" tweak you get when blipping the throttle sitting still. It runs very smooth and delivers usable power everywhere (at least everywhere I played with it). Starts easy cold, warms up fairly quickly, and no sputters, hesitation, or other untoward actions. BMW did a very nice job tuning this one.

Exhaust - It has an under seat system that exits in a single, 2 hole silencer. It has a quiet but noticeable exhaust note that sounds really good, and when rolling out of the throttle but not quite closed you get a cool little burble from time to time, which sounds good.

Suspension/Handling - Didn't get to try this much, but what I did get to play with was good. Turn in is nice, not quick, but it's easy to get it to change direction. transition from left to right was good at speed, although it seemed to be a little heavy rolling past center to the other direction. This could just be me and t limited time/environment I had o ride it in. But overall the bike felt planted all the time, held its line in corners and delivered a very nice ride on the 3-4 changing surfaces I was on , from smooth surface streets to bumpy freeway expansion joints.

Ergos - Nice relation from pegs to seat and seat to bars. It looks like it would put pressure on your wrists but it doesn't. I was waiting for some wrist or back pain from the riding position but I got neither. I was very comfortable the entire ride, other than the seat being too hard for my tastes.

All in all I think BMW has a winner on their hands with this one. It's one of the better done R bikes i've ridden in a long time.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Though a tardy response, would concur!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in