Minty 1973 75/5 - need advice on shipping - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Minty 1973 75/5 - need advice on shipping

I am very excited to have just purchased a highly original, low mileage 1973 75/5 (LWB) in very clean condition (pics coming as soon as I get it). This is my first one of these and I have been looking for quite a while.

It needs to travel from northern California to VT and I wondered if people might have strong, positive experience with certain companies they might recommend? Just want to get it here in the same pristine condition it will leave CA.

Any guidance much appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------
'73 R75/5
'14 R1200 RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Re: Minty 1973 75/5 - need advice on shipping

I've used Keyboard Motorcycle Shippers twice, about 4 or 5 years apart when I bought a used motorcycle from the Midwest and shipped it to me in NJ. I was very satisfied with everything. The drivers were great, the rolling and locking motorcycle specific pallet on wheels is neat and keeps your bike very secure. The trucks have lift gates, so you don't need to find a shipping dock like with some other companies, and you don't have to lift a finger. And they are vehicle shippers, your bike doesn't get thrown into the trailer as an afterthought with a bunch of furniture and dog food.

Each trip my total cost was $600. Be warned that if you ask the internet for shippers and rates you may get one that quotes you a lot less than others, and you say OK, give them your credit card info for a deposit, but after two weeks of not hearing anything about a pickup date you call them back and guess what? they suddenly tell you their rate quoting 'software' made an error and the real rate is $$$. They hope you'll say OK since you've already given them a deposit. It happened to me, IIRC it was USA shippers or something similar. I did get the deposit refunded but I lost two weeks while they jerked me around. Not good when you're excited about your purchase and you can't wait to see your new baby.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Last edited by George_S; Feb 13th, 2014 at 2:40 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks George. Appreciate that heads up. I only shipped a bike once before, and it went OK, but was kinda funky as I ended up with a super nice and well intentioned fellow who hauls 5 or 6 bikes in the back of van. I saved a few hundred bucks and loved working with him, but in retrospect it was a risky way to go.

I'll check out KMS and see what they quote.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S View Post
I've used Keyboard Motorcycle Shippers twice, about 4 or 5 years apart when I bought a used motorcycle from the Midwest and shipped it to me in NJ. I was very satisfied with everything. The drivers were great, the rolling and locking motorcycle specific pallet on wheels is neat and keeps your bike very secure. The trucks have lift gates, so you don't need to find a shipping dock like with some other companies, and you don't have to lift a finger. And they are vehicle shippers, your bike doesn't get thrown into the trailer as an afterthought with a bunch of furniture and dog food.

Each trip my total cost was $600. Be warned that if you ask the internet for shippers and rates you may get one that quotes you a lot less than others, and you say OK, give them your credit card info for a deposit, but after two weeks of not hearing anything about a pickup date you call them back and guess what? they suddenly tell you their rate quoting 'software' made an error and the real rate is $$$. They hope you'll say OK since you've already given them a deposit. It happened to me, IIRC it was USA shippers or something similar. I did get the deposit refunded but I lost two weeks while they jerked me around. Not good when you're excited about your purchase and you can't wait to see your new baby.

'73 R75/5
'14 R1200 RT

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 7:40 am

Look forward to the pics I also have a R75/5 LWB white. 3rd owner word has it Malcolm Forbes orig. owner.Bought the bike from a patient who had the bike since 1974 to present.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Wow, very cool!! Have you posted pics of that bike here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Look forward to the pics I also have a R75/5 LWB white. 3rd owner word has it Malcolm Forbes orig. owner.Bought the bike from a patient who had the bike since 1974 to present.

'73 R75/5
'14 R1200 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in