Engine in Emergency Mode - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Nov 4th, 2013, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Engine in Emergency Mode

Last night after filling up with gas, I turned into a parking space and when I put my foot down, it slipped and down went the bike. The good news is nothing hurt on me or the bike, I had it up on the stand again in less than 30 seconds. Went inside to use the rest room, came out and started the bike. Bike started fine, ran a little rough, but other than that OK. The yellow triangle stayed on as well as the engine light which looks to have a propeller in it. I rode from Sahaurita to Tucson at highway speeds (about 30 miles). Everything seemed normal. It continued to run rough at stop lights but other than that still OK. Tonight hoping it would fix itself, I started it again. Same lights, but started right up, still runs a little rough, but as soon as I apply any throttle, the bike shuts off. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Nov 4th, 2013, 10:48 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: Engine in Emergency Mode

Sounds like you got some fuel in the Charcoal filter. As you ride more it should clear itself out. The same thing used to happen on my LT until I ripped it out.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Nov 8th, 2013, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Re: Engine in Emergency Mode

It never got better so I called my local shop here in Tucson, Iron Horse Motors BMW, and they said stop by, we'll put it on the computer and see what's up. Within 5 seconds of looking at the bike, Devlin, the Service Manager had it fixed. Seems when the bike fell on its right side, I only checked the right side, however when getting off I must have dragged my boot up the LEFT side of the bike and disconnected the Throttle Positioning connection. Devlin just plugged in the cable and everything started working like it should again. Lesson learned: Had I given a through inspection/look over of the entire bike, there should have been no way I would have overlooked something so obvious. Devlin took another couple of minutes and showed me other things that could easily become unconnected and what to look for if the bike started acting up again. Great customer service

Mother Goose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in